Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you have any tricks for falling asleep?

(41 Posts)
MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 22-Jan-18 21:54:58

I’ve had glandular fever and my sleep routine is ruined as I’ve spent whole days in bed.

I’ve never been a good sleeper... I find myself just laying there awake and occasionally giving in and checking the time to see another 30 minutes have gone by.

Does anyone else have this problem?

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 22-Jan-18 21:55:45

I’m considering taking some old cocodamol I have from a back injury because I know it makes me sleepy!

(It’s my first day back at work tomorrow!)

StrangeLookingParasite Mon 22-Jan-18 21:58:16

I recite times tables, in detail. So one multiplied by one equals one, visualise each word or number as you think it. It's so boring I've never got past about three or four.

Alwaysinmyheart Mon 22-Jan-18 21:58:45

There’s lots of sleep hypnosis videos on YouTube, I find them quite helpful. Dozed off listening to one last night!

Partridgeamongstthepigeons Mon 22-Jan-18 22:01:39

A couple of painkillers and an audio book work for me

numbereightyone Mon 22-Jan-18 22:02:37

Asmr on Youtube!

BillywigSting Mon 22-Jan-18 22:03:28

I like watching asmr videos on YouTube.

Ting ting and asmrdarling are my favourites.

It looks very strange but put headphones in and they work wonders. I can't watch them in the day because they make me so sleepy.

I used to have pretty terrible insomnia too

Oddish Mon 22-Jan-18 22:04:09

Really boring radio 4 documentaries
Deep breathing
Pretending to be deeply asleep
Thinking of things in alphabetical order ie countries, actors, brands etc

BillywigSting Mon 22-Jan-18 22:04:32

Cross post @numbereightyone !

DrWhooves Mon 22-Jan-18 22:05:20

youtu.be/HSi2zeLZfyk

This video works for me every time.

catlovingdoctor Mon 22-Jan-18 22:05:36

Try nytol

ragged Mon 22-Jan-18 22:06:50

I'm gonna try above video.
Then I'll try 6 others & report back how they didn't work!

Myownwendyhouse Mon 22-Jan-18 22:07:06

I find as soon as I get into bed my mind starts going into overdrive. So. I listen to audio books. Gives my Brain something else to focus on. Bang. Two mins later I'm. Asleep

numbereightyone Mon 22-Jan-18 22:07:24

grin BillywigSting.

badmgr Mon 22-Jan-18 22:07:29

Sounds weird but try really hard to keep your eyes open. I’m asleep a few mins later

Hecksonaplane Mon 22-Jan-18 22:07:55

I listen to an app by andrew Johnson it’s great only 15 mins, my dh never hears the end!
I’m getting better quality sleep too and it’s free.

MsHomeSlice Mon 22-Jan-18 22:08:03

i count!

there's a breathing technique that was doing the rounds on fb a year or so back...breathe in slowly for a count of four and exhale for a count of seven...repeat until asleep

now those numbers do not work for me and I end up feeling like I am suffocating, so I just breathe in and out for five each way, and I try to count the cycles on my fingers....but without moving them, so really mentally focus on my thumb for the first round, of five in/five out then index finger for the second lot, middle finger for the next and so on

it's really rare I get to my second hand, and if i get to 10 which is the last finger I work my way back

when i say focus on each finger I have to think really hard, concentrate on what i can feel with that finger but without moving it

If I lose count I have to start again, but as I said I rarely even get to ten, never mind having to start over, or work back

YesILikeItToo Mon 22-Jan-18 22:08:06

Humpty
Humpty Dumpty
Humpty Dumpty sat
Humpty Dumpty sat on
Humpty Dumpty sat on a

Start again if you make a mistake. I’ve never reached the end.

Blep Mon 22-Jan-18 22:09:13

There's a podcast called Sleep With Me where a guy talks about nonsense with his soothing gravelly voice, always works for me

YouBetterWORK Mon 22-Jan-18 22:09:51

Audiobooks for me as well, a recently discovered revelation - 10 minutes in and I'm out like a light!

PiggyPlumPie Mon 22-Jan-18 22:10:36

Start counting down in sevens from 1000. So, 993, 986 etc. It is supposed to be complicated enough to keep your mind focussed but easy enough to send you to sleep.

If you lose your place, start again. Seems to work for me.

RefuseTheLies Mon 22-Jan-18 22:10:43

I rub the top of my feet on our very furry bedspread. It is so soft and thick that it immediately makes me happy and relaxed.

LizzieSiddal Mon 22-Jan-18 22:12:32

I read if I can’t sleep, with a little book light so it doesn’t wake dh and only get a few pages in and I’m off to sleep.

MeganChips Mon 22-Jan-18 22:14:56

I send my breath into different parts of my body, like you do in some mediations.

So when I exhale I imagine I am sending my breath into my toes a few times, then feet, ankles etc.

It’s really effective, I have never made it past my knees!

Haffdonga Mon 22-Jan-18 22:15:46

Go through the alphabet with a girl's name for each letter. (Or boy's name, animal, item in a kitchen, footballer, whatever).

I fall asleep by J most nights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now