Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Have you ever Marie Kondo'd and regretted it?

(95 Posts)
Aquitania Mon 22-Jan-18 21:01:40

I need to declutter and the internet raves about Konmarie being the magic bullet.

I am sceptical though - I'm sure I'd regret tossing some things. I'm currently wearing a pair of boots I'd not worn for over a decade but hung on to to in case they were useful one day - and they are!

Is everyone truly in rhapsodies about their new minimalist life, or has anyone ever regretted undertaking the process?

Rudolph85 Mon 22-Jan-18 21:04:38

I honestly thought her book was the biggest load of toot ever. I quite like the Minamilsts though.
I have missed a couple of items of clothing I gave away to charity shop.

Thebookswereherfriends Mon 22-Jan-18 21:18:51

I've done a bit of Marie London and I think it is useful way of looking at your things. Does something 'spark joy'? Does it feel like it improves your life? I find it makes me more considered when I'm buying things and less inclined to just hold onto things unless they have a specific place to live in your home.

ToadOfSadness Mon 22-Jan-18 21:38:17

The best thing I did was to dump the book, it is a waste of money. The poor woman is obsessed.

However, this does inspire me to have a clear out. www.becomingminimalist.com/becoming-minimalist-start-here/

I keep things in the porch I am dumping for a while in case I change my mind about something and want to bring it back in, I have plenty to get rid of and want to be sure I am getting rid of the right stuff.

WineCheeseSleep Mon 22-Jan-18 21:58:00

It's not just about throwing things away though! If you went through her method you'd have gone through your boots, realised those ones 'sparked joy' and kept them. I think it's great, it's made a huge difference to me.

ToadOfSadness Mon 22-Jan-18 23:29:40

If I pick something up I know I am fed up with it and don't want it any more. I don't need a book to tell me how to decide.

If I am not sure I put it out and when the time comes to dump everything I know if I want it or not because I have been walking past it for a week or whatever.

I fold my clothes to suit my lifestyle, I don't need to be told how to fold my socks, I am old enough to know how to fit things neatly into a drawer.

That woman has made a fortune out of 'persuading' people to follow her way of doing things where a bit of common sense would have done just as well.

DressAndGo Mon 22-Jan-18 23:36:33

Kondo is not about getting rid of things.

Kondo is about keeping only those things that make you happy (or serve a needful purpose).

I love the method.

DressAndGo Mon 22-Jan-18 23:37:58

It's a different mindset. You have to be the one to decide whether to use it or not, not anyone else. Look into it - does it appeal? Does it work for you?

Charismam Mon 22-Jan-18 23:40:18

ABout two years ago I filled an entire skip and I regretted ONE thing. A pair of reebok black leather trainers. So I bought another pair. Small price to pay for the lack of clutter.

CheshireSplat Mon 22-Jan-18 23:40:58

The only thing I regretted was throwing away some old notepads that I didn't realise DH wanted to keep.

Was really pleased that I did the rest of the declutter.

Chchchchangeabout Mon 22-Jan-18 23:42:17

I found it meant I rediscovered things I loved but had lost in the clutter. I erred on the side of caution a little though, and then shed a bit more later. Not regretted anything so far.

Charismam Mon 22-Jan-18 23:42:44

i thought the book was funny in parts. Literally laugh out loud funny. The thoughts of her siblings asking ''where's that brown anorak I hardly ever wear?' and she'd just thrown it out without asking them!

MrGrumpy01 Mon 22-Jan-18 23:47:05

Unfortunately in the case of dh a 12 year old unread car magazine since then 'sparks joy'

The only thing I really took from it was to do things on a theme.

I am currently employing the 'do I really want to pay to move this' method. Working well, and will hopefully get rid of old broken shavers much better than MK ever could.

FluffyWuffy100 Mon 22-Jan-18 23:53:57

I found it really worked for me.

It showed me it was OK to get rid of nice things I never wore and not feel bad because they had fulfilled their purposes and I enjoyed buying them / wearing them to that one thing . whatever.

Also I got rid of all my old crappy underwear and got fewer items of nice new underwear. Why on earth was I wearing pants with holes in??

I also liked the category system e.g. do all toiletries together even tho they are spread throughout the house in several different places.

However I didn't follow it religiously and I 100% still have a 'stuff' drawer for random stuff.

I didn't bother e baying stuff, I knew it would just sit around for months.

HarrietSchulenberg Tue 23-Jan-18 00:21:18

Not exactly Marie Kondo but I still regret giving a pink crochet dress to a charity shop 25 years ago. The regret began a week after my clear out.
I also regret giving away my best jeans in a terrible wardrobe mix up and still have the pair that were intended to go. I've kept them as a reminder that careful hoarding isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Dowser Tue 23-Jan-18 00:36:53

Totally regret giving away Dh complete 32 or more terry Pratchet book collection.
What a stupid thing to do.
I took my kenwood food blender to a charity shop when ex husband left as I thought I wouldn’t need it ever again.
Luckily second husband came with kenwood mixer under his arm 😂

blackberryfairy Tue 23-Jan-18 00:53:53

dowser love the idea of replacing husband in order to get a new blendergrin

KenForPM Tue 23-Jan-18 02:17:16

The thing is, almost nothing I own “sparks joy”. So I’d end up chucking everything out by that method!!
I’ve seen before and after photos, and ironically the after photos look totally joyless to me. I don’t really like the completely minimalist look, there’s no personality about it/no “this is me and I live here”. It all ends up looking much of a muchness.
I am a very messy person, but there’s no way I’d “Kondo” everything.

shortgreengiraffe Tue 23-Jan-18 07:04:23

The questions you need to ask are:

Do I need it?
Do I use it?
Do I love it?

And if the answer is no, off it goes.

Saying that my house is still full of stuff I don't need, use or love but I can dream.

Gladiola44 Tue 23-Jan-18 07:08:26

Kondo method is a load of rubbish and I do think it promotes a disposable culture where things can be constantly replaced. Like she says if something is worth under £20 to chuck it because you can buy it again. No wonder we have so much in landfill!

MaisyPops Tue 23-Jan-18 07:18:59

It feels a bit style over substance. Kondo followers seem to me to have an odd pride in how little they have which is up there witj people taking pride in being a morning person.

I like the principle 'would i buy this again' and 'have i used/worn this in a year'. But I accidentlu threw my favourite floaty shirt away in my pre Christmas sort out and am still devestated about it. Probably wouldn't have happened if i hadnt been sorting

Ilovetolurk Tue 23-Jan-18 07:47:19

Not sure about that site ToadOfSadness

Have just looked at his 15 tips and he recommends putting away kitchen appliances when not using which apparently takes 6 seconds

Clearly never been in a my kitchen where there’s not a hope in hell of a putting away place for the toaster

And putting dirty clothes straight down the clothes chute

I wonder if this is like the bad egg chute where the boiler is fired up twice a week

Charismam Tue 23-Jan-18 08:00:50

Wow harriersculenberg! The anti-kondo philosophy!

I know what you all mean though. You have to do a more relaxed version of MK in real life. Eg, she is so anti storage and maybe in japan the weather is the same all year round I am clueless about that.... but where i live it could be 2 degrees or 26 degrees and it could be icy or rainy or dry. I go out. I stay in. I dress up. I stay the same size for decades.. I should keep clothes and coats if I want ti but MKing, and then thinking about it afterwards made me want to get better wardrobes and fitt3d wardrobes in kids' rooms too. And I know she thinks great wardrobes are just going to encourage hoarding!
I buy less since MKing though.
Saving for fitted wardrobes!!

TillyTheTiger Tue 23-Jan-18 08:08:04

I've only konmaried my wardrobe so far and it's made me much happier, in that it's so easy to find things to wear now because I already know everything in there looks nice on me. Also the method of vertically folding all your clothes is brilliant, my drawers are a thing of beauty. I can't get beyond step one because the next step is books and I have hundreds, I'm sure some of them I'll never read again and should get rid of but I can't bring myself to do it!

kokosnuss Tue 23-Jan-18 08:08:07

I'm not familiar with the book but it sounds like what I do - I'm fairly brutal and get rid of stuff unless it's useful or sentimental. I have a one bed flat so there's kind of an imperative there to keep clutter down.

People with space, e.g. storage in a spare room, could perhaps move all the 'maybe's into there, with a resolution to review it all in say, 6 months? If it's not been used by then, chuck?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now