Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

No scale & polish available on NHS anymore?

(10 Posts)
donners312 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:49:13

Not even for kids?

I just had an appointment at the hygienist.

They called to tell me I had to pay for all 3 of us (me and 2 DC) and there is no way i can afford it they said its not available on NHS anymore - is that true?

TidyTinsel Mon 22-Jan-18 16:50:53

Do you pay anything for your appointments? I am with an NHS dentist but I pay their prices and have never been offered a scale and polish.

You only get it if you need it. Your kids shouldn't need it.

NHS website says:

If your dentist says scaling is clinically required, this is available on the NHS. This can be provided by a hygienist or dental therapist. A simple scaling is included in a Band 1 course of treatment, but more complex treatment for gum problems may be charged within a Band 2 course of treatment.
TipMany dental hygienists now work under direct access, where you can request to see the hygienist directly for a scale or polish. Hygienists can only provide this open access on a private basis, and you should check the cost of the treatment before booking an appointment.
If your dentist says a scale and polish is not clinically necessary but you want one anyway, you will have to pay for it privately.

thatwhichwecallarose Mon 22-Jan-18 16:53:24

Should be included....

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/nhs-dental-band-charges.aspx

HeyMacWey Mon 22-Jan-18 16:54:05

Mine make me pay, despite having the dental charges on the wall.
I have yet to find a NHS dentist that includes the hygienist fees or a scale and polish done by a dentist.

Fattymcfaterson Mon 22-Jan-18 16:54:26

I got one yesterday, but then I needed it

JJPP123 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:56:57

I've found if the dentist does it it's included, when they refer you to a hygienist it's not.

Chrisinthemorning Mon 22-Jan-18 16:57:13

Only if clinically necessary- so lots of tartar or gum problems. Not for staining or freshness. Children shouldn’t really need it, certainly not often.

donners312 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:10:16

Maybe i will just pay for mine and see how it goes with the kids - we go regular to the dentist so hopefully catch anything early.

thanks everyone

Frith1975 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:29:31

I haven’t had one since I was a child - I didn’t know they still existed!

Neither of my children has ever been offered one either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now