Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What's on your living room walls?

(59 Posts)
lucysmam Mon 22-Jan-18 16:33:31

I have one huge space to fill, and zero inspiration for it.

One wall has the window so nothing on there. Another has the fireplace with a mirror above it and candles/photo's on the fireplace top (no idea what it's called). And the third is family photo's, since the girls were little, that I add to every now and again.

But the HUGE, empty, wall space over the settee?! That's empty. I have NO idea what to do with it hmm <---thinking

What's on your walls? Inspire me please!

wonkylegs Mon 22-Jan-18 16:43:17

Living room
We have a framed black and white landscape photo taken by my brother (a professional photographer) above a sofa with a gorgeous wall light above it

Other walls have windows or fireplace with mirror above it

Family room
We have a load of framed maps, coins & stamps (red frames, white walls) above a red sofa on one wall,
Fireplace with a huge funky clock above it on another,
Shelving unit with photos of the family on the wall above on the third & a big window on the 4th

MikeUniformMike Mon 22-Jan-18 16:44:35

Cobwebs

MrsHathaway Mon 22-Jan-18 16:45:28

We have an enameled mirror (Charles Rennie Mackintosh roses reproduction). I put it on our wedding list more in hope than expectation, but my uncle bought it for us. I love it and the wall colour is always chosen to complement it.

And a MASSIVE wall-mounted telly which can also be a mock fireplace or Chromecast digital picture frame. DH chose that.

Seriously, though, a mirror. Or triptych of mirrors.

MrsHathaway Mon 22-Jan-18 16:46:05

Cross posted. Framed vintage maps are fabulous.

CremeFresh Mon 22-Jan-18 16:48:06

I have sparkly glitter wallpaper so have kept pictures etc to a minimum. I do have a black and silver mosaic framed mirror on the wall opposite the tv. I have a soft focus effect silver and white flower painting on the tv wall and a cabinet with photos on / in it.

lucysmam Mon 22-Jan-18 16:49:35

grin Mike that made me smile. I have cobwebs in the corners I can't reach too!

calzone Mon 22-Jan-18 16:49:55

Very little since I tried to go minimalist.....

A mirror on one and a hand painted sea scene on pallet wood.

ObiJuanKenobi Mon 22-Jan-18 16:51:56

We have a massive clock on our big bare wall. It's fab!

ThunderboltsLightning Mon 22-Jan-18 16:52:24

I have one of those big framed pictures that has the whole of a book in tiny text. I can't remember what it's called though.

lucysmam Mon 22-Jan-18 16:53:28

Hmmm, I hadn't considered a clock! I was edging sort of towards some sort of...art. But with no clue what.

I'll have a look at giant clocks!

Although ticking might be annoying.

drinkswineoutofamug Mon 22-Jan-18 16:54:50

Nothing in my living room matches. Planning to decorate this year.
Anyhoo I've got a hogwarts sign in one alcove. A wooden 1970s 'sundial' clock above the mantle. A weird mirror picture thing on the other alcove. On the wall above my sofa I've got 3 Egyptian papyrus, one of which is an original from 1953drawn for my nan from my grandad when he served in Egypt

MrsHathaway Mon 22-Jan-18 16:55:52

We have a clock in our dining room that swooshes rather than ticks. It's sort of mesmerising.

MikeUniformMike Mon 22-Jan-18 16:57:11

I have a large mirror. Cobwebs gone. wink

EggsonHeads Mon 22-Jan-18 16:59:26

Last nights dinner

tkband3 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:01:41

We have a large mirror above the fireplace, and on the opposite wall an arrangement of family photographs - some small, some large - but all photos of us 5 (6 if you include our old DDog). DH is a photographer, so some of the photos are large portraits he has taken, others are just simple snaps that we or the DDs have taken over the years. It's really lovely, and is often commented on by visitors. The arrangement is such that new photos can be added over time.

ObiJuanKenobi Mon 22-Jan-18 17:03:37

I put an oven glove on it for scale blush it didn't look very big in the photos of it alone. But it really breaks up the wall and I can't really hear it tick unless there is silence

lucysmam Mon 22-Jan-18 17:04:10

drinkswine dd1 would happily turn the house into Hogwarts if she could! Not sure about putting it on the wall down here though.

& don't know whether more mirrors would be overkil my mates think I'm the vain one as it is

Swooshy clock might be better than ticking; does anyone know what I'd need to google to find one that doesn't tick?

ObiJuanKenobi Mon 22-Jan-18 17:07:02

I would try 'silent wall clock' or 'non ticking wall cock'

MikeUniformMike Mon 22-Jan-18 17:07:04

Silent clock might do it. Muji do them.

CremeFresh Mon 22-Jan-18 17:07:30

I've just googled silent wall clock and loads came up.

FairfaxAikman Mon 22-Jan-18 17:16:10

I have a HUGE original oil painting of my home town that DF did as a wedding present - he's a talented amateur artist- above the Fire place.
Only others are a canvas of our favourite wedding pic and a sound wave of our first dance song.

Lj8893 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:21:39

I have this canvas (it's big) on my big wall which I just love.

On my other walls I have
:2 antique looking frames with photos of dd.
:a clock
:window and a framed Winnie the Pooh print

StillRunningWithScissors Mon 22-Jan-18 17:22:44

@ThunderboltsLightning
What size is your poster, and are you able to actually read the text?

I've been looking at a version of this (The princess Bride one), and wondering if the text is legible

PickAChew Mon 22-Jan-18 17:25:11

Scuffs and sticky hand prints. Not that we have a living room, as such, at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now