Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Housing benefit & apprenticeships advice needed NO BENEFIT BASHING PLEASE

(119 Posts)
Moneyworrier Mon 22-Jan-18 16:14:04

Dd started an apprenticeship in sep. I called council before she started to ask how this worked re housing benefit and council tax and was told to basically carry on as I was. Dd was 16 at the time.

Today I've had a letter from the council as dd recently turned 17.

I called a local advice place who said to call council as letter was sent 4 days ago and deadline for evidence is very short and I'm not sure I can manage to get evidence to them in time.

Result is claim is suspended, no extension re evidence, and based on what they've told me on housing benefit side alone (they couldn't tell me what the difference on council tax benefit would be - that seems to be a bloody secret for what reason I don't know!) I'm going to be £260 a month worse off.

I'm only just breaking even as it is!

I'm getting all I'm entitled to already (I've checked) dd pays keep but I really don't want to ask her for more as she's barely breaking even too as she has costs related to the apprenticeship plus I'm of course no longer getting tax credits or child benefit for her so I can't afford to get her the things I was when I was (clothes etc she's still growing of course).

I also don't have/spend on luxuries. I never go out/do anything. Literally all I spend on is rent, council tax, groceries, heating, tv licence and Internet (which I consider a necessity as almost everything is managed online now).

We would actually be MUCH better off if she were on jsa! How insane is that?!

I'm seriously panicking how the hell we're going to keep a roof over our heads! The only area I can see to cut back is my food.

If there are any welfare advisers reading this I would really appreciate some advice right now. I can't get hold of anyone else. Local places close at 3pm, cab we don't have one PLUS the phone line murder to get through on.

Help!

Moneyworrier Mon 22-Jan-18 16:15:41

Sorry - in case relevant we're in Scotland.

Yellowjello Mon 22-Jan-18 16:23:17

How much is your dd earning a week? I know a friend of mine has a dd aged 17 who is on an apprenticeship wage of £110 per week

Adviceplease360 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:28:20

Do you work?

Moneyworrier Mon 22-Jan-18 16:29:33

I think approx £180-190 a week I need to check with her when she gets in. But I think that's the gross amount too

Hercules12 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:29:59

No advice but that's sounds crazy.

Moneyworrier Mon 22-Jan-18 16:30:36

No I'm disabled and unable to work. I'm on ESA (support group) and get DLA too.

Hercules12 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:31:03

Sounds like she needs to contribute more.

Moneyworrier Mon 22-Jan-18 16:32:29

It IS crazy. The people that set the rules/amounts clearly never had to actually live on it.

Yellowjello Mon 22-Jan-18 16:33:25

Are you paying for her food/mobile/clothes? She should be paying for those herself.

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 22-Jan-18 16:33:50

You will lose the applicable amount for a child , it's approx £60 a week.

Springiscoming123 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:34:13

If she is earning £180 a week she should make a reasonable contribution,she cant be just breaking even on that amount

What is her contribution and her outgoings?

Moneyworrier Mon 22-Jan-18 16:34:59

But dd contributing more would leave HER short for things she needs so doesn't really solve the problem. I'm hoping someone on here or locally can help as otherwise the only options are dd moves out - which I don't think she's ready for and to be honest neither am I. Or she quits the apprenticeship and goes on benefits except she can't quit cos she wouldn't get anything for at least 6 months anyway.

My head is SPINNING

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 22-Jan-18 16:35:15

It's £66.90.

Springiscoming123 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:36:15

So were the council paying all the rent and now they are gonna pay £240 less a month

iammeegan Mon 22-Jan-18 16:36:23

Isn't an apprenticeship class as education? Sorry I have no clue, hopefully someone will come along and give more advise

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 22-Jan-18 16:36:28

No tax on £180 a week, she should be giving you at least £100 a week, more like £120.

Moneyworrier Mon 22-Jan-18 16:36:36

She pays for her food/mobile/clothes and more already. She pays me 25% as keep (covers food/heating) then pays for everything else of hers herself plus she has transport and equipment costs.

BlossomRussoAndSixLemeure Mon 22-Jan-18 16:36:42

If she contributes more should she give her mum the amount she isn’t getting for housing benefit etc anymore? But that could mean she wouldn’t have any money left?
It’s crazy but true she might be better off financially on benefits. Especially when we are trying to help children better themselves by training and working, it doesn’t make sense confused

Springiscoming123 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:37:40

So what has she been paying you?

Hercules12 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:37:49

Have you posted before? What is your dd spending her money on? Can she take an evening job?

Moneyworrier Mon 22-Jan-18 16:38:06

So were the council paying all the rent and now they are gonna pay £240 less a month

No 260 less and my rent only 340 anyway.

Springiscoming123 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:38:38

Sorry cross post

Hercules12 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:38:43

Sorry if wrong op but is your dd the one who buys lot of clothes?

FoofFighter Mon 22-Jan-18 16:38:44

Agree she needs to be contributing a lot more than just 25%

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now