Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Being a nurse is just horrible

(33 Posts)
YellowFrenchFancy Mon 22-Jan-18 15:58:39

It's not the patients seriously it's the politics and nasty colleagues. I'm on mat leave and it's being made quite clear going part time is going to be made very difficult so here I am looking for a new job. No wonder people leave the NHS in the thousands. Rant over

YellowFrenchFancy Mon 22-Jan-18 16:12:14

angry

Steeley113 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:15:57

Had the same when I went back after maternity. I went back full time and burnt out. Left the NHS but the private sector is even worse. I don’t want to be a nurse anymore I don’t thinksad

Crunchymum Mon 22-Jan-18 16:16:21

To be fair as nurses are leaving in droves, I can quite imagine that your request to go part time hasn't been welcomed. Not your fault and you have every right to request flexible working but it's symptomatic of the system that accommodating part time nurses is difficult.

YellowFrenchFancy Mon 22-Jan-18 16:22:46

I've been a nurse for 11 years and they want to lose all my experience more fool them

Busybeesbutt Mon 22-Jan-18 16:30:47

Yep it really is crap

LardLizard Mon 22-Jan-18 16:33:06

I don’t think I could do it
Don’t like bodily functions blood or sick or smelly people and the hours and the pay sound awful
Yet that are expected to a professional job yet are so short staffed all the time

MrsAmaretto Mon 22-Jan-18 16:41:08

Every hospital nurse I know who has gone on maternity leave has then left due to not being able to work part time.

I really don’t understand how the NHS is willing to loose these highly experienced professionals.

One woman I know has gone to a doctors surgery to retrain as an Advance Nurse Practioner & loves it. Works 3 days a week, home for tea & bedtime. Could that be an option?

JMAngel1 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:48:26

Why can't you demand part time - I would have thought nursing lent itself very well to flexible part time work - a shift is a shift unless you're a ward manager or in an E&T role? Sounds bonkers - take it to HR and if need be ask to be moved to a different division or ward area?

Milliways Mon 22-Jan-18 16:56:46

I was going to suggest the same, GP practices are all short of Practice Nurses and many work part time, and better shifts than hospital nurses too.

waitingforlifetostart Mon 22-Jan-18 16:56:49

No one can DEMAND part time in any job.

greensnail Mon 22-Jan-18 16:59:15

That's rubbish for you and very short sighted of them. Nursing generally lends itself to part time working very well. I have been fortunate that I was able to go back part time after my first mat leave, then did bank nursing for 6 years after my second. Now have a lovely job three fixed days per week, but working for a charity not NHS. Good luck finding something suitable.

Tiredmum100 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:59:22

I returned part time to nursing after maternity leave. I do work in the community though, so not sure if it's easier there. My team is made up of mainly part timers. I think there's only about 3 full time. I generally work 8.30-4.30 3 days a week and every 3 Rd of 4 th weekend. I find my work life balance so much better. Would that be something you would consider? Being a nurse is hard. But like you say it's not the patients (I love my actual job) it's just all the other stuff. The paperwork and feeling like you've got to cover yourself all the time. I think it's the same in a lot of jobs these days.

Lionso Mon 22-Jan-18 17:01:25

I took a break from nursing after my mum died. Took a basic office job and never went back to nursing. I did not realise just how much it ate up my soul until I actually left it. All those nights not sleeping wondering how bad my shift the next day would be. It just wore me down completely.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 22-Jan-18 17:04:31

I'm a peadiatric nurse. I love my job, I am lucky to work in a wonderful team of lovely people. Although under pressure, it's no where as bad as the adult side. And lots of cute babies to cuddle!

Toddlerteaplease Mon 22-Jan-18 17:05:23

All of my colleagues who went on mat leave have reduced their hours without a problem.

JeansAndANiceTop Mon 22-Jan-18 17:08:17

I’ve just had my request to drop 4 hours from 37.5 refused. As a single parent with a 7mo it’s makes logistics rather complicated.
On the flip side I love my job and the department I work in.

Stompythedinosaur Mon 22-Jan-18 17:08:27

Being a nurse right now is bloody awful.

I've been working today on a ward staffed by one third of our minimum number of staff - two staff on duty for the whole ward when there should be six. No breaks, ridiculously busy and still delivering a shoddy standard of care (despite trying our best).

I used to love my job but actually it's making me ill.

Busybeesbutt Mon 22-Jan-18 17:10:08

What are the alternatives to nursing? Do you know anyone whose left successfully?

TeddyIsaHe Mon 22-Jan-18 17:10:38

Good for you Toddler way to show the op some support hmm

Sweetpotatoaddict Mon 22-Jan-18 17:12:42

There should be no reason why you shouldn't be able to reduce your hours, your reduction could lead to the creation of a new full time post.
Nursing does lend itself to part time hours, however you might be used as a gap filler which leads to an awful off duty, think day shift and nightshift in the same week.

LadyMarmyLard Mon 22-Jan-18 17:20:18

It's really sad that they can't be more flexible for a mum!?

I think you nurses do an amazing job.

Idontmeanto Mon 22-Jan-18 17:30:15

Dh has decided to retire from it and be a sahd. I don’t blame him in the slightest, he’s been treated like utter crap these days. It’s the trust’s loss op!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:32:01

You could re-train to do Botox injections. There's a lot of money in Botox.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 22-Jan-18 17:33:43

Where I work they refuse to allow part time working as they’re worried if they let one person everyone would want it and they’re short staffed. So lots are leaving instead, staffing just gets worse and worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now