Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

A 'proper' packed lunch?

(50 Posts)
beverlybothered Mon 22-Jan-18 14:53:10

DD8 and DS6 have been having packed luches from the beggining of term, at there request as they dont like the school cooking. The school recommends a sandwich, a piece of fruit, a healthy treat and a drink as an ideal packed lunch and this is what we have been giving them. I'm just worried that they have gone from having a full cooked meal at lunch time to having 3 cold snacks and also they seem to be have less energy after school and are having more afternoon snacks as there hungry so it is obvious there not getting enough.
How can we make there packed lunch more of a lunch instead of just adding another snack to it?
What do you give your DC for lunch who dont like school meals?

AuntLydia Mon 22-Jan-18 14:56:17

I give almost exactly what you do to my 7 and 11 year old and they don't seem excessively tired or hungry. Do packed lunches eat before dinner in your school? Could that be it? Give them another round of sandwiches maybe? Something substantial like a boiled egg/scotch eggs/cheese cubes alongside the sandwich? Pasta salad maybe? Theres no real reason why a cold meal would make them more hungry than a hot one...

Seeline Mon 22-Jan-18 14:57:10

Adding an extra piece of cheese in addition to the sandwich
Some veg sticks/cherry toms etc
Add a yoghurt/frube etc
Giving an extra sandwich

dementedpixie Mon 22-Jan-18 14:58:20

Ds has a bagel or brioche burger roll with a filling, 2 types of fruit (strawberries and grapes usually), a yoghurt and a small biscuit item

beverlybothered Mon 22-Jan-18 15:04:08

@AuntLydia

They dont seem excessively tired or hungry, I've just noticed they seem more so since they've stopped having a cooked meal and maybe in cold months especially a hot meal warmed them up a bit and gave them more energy.
Thankyou though pasta salad is a really good idea.

steppemum Mon 22-Jan-18 15:04:48

I would add one more item, and then increase after school snack.
So either a fruit pot or a cheese string etc to the lunch, then after school have cracker and cheese, or apple rings and cheese (favourite in our house) plus a glass of milk.

protein fills them up for longer.

I don't worry about if it is hot or cold, I look at food content. What I wouldn't do is add a penguin/kitkat/crisps type snack to it. Other things are fine.

lizzieoak Mon 22-Jan-18 15:05:04

I seldom give mine sandwiches for the main part. I give fruit, homemade baked treat, then; cheese quesadilla with potatoes and salsa in it, salade nicoise (w tuna,
Potatoes and egg), fried rice w tofu or Japanese omelette in it (& ginger & spring onion), samosas, soup in a thermos, tortellini and tomato sauce, vegetarian meatballs with pasta and tomato sauce, wraps (tortilla w various filling - his favourite is chickpeas with feta cheese, black olives, tomatoes, cucumber, & red pepper w a bit of olive oil & balsamic). He’s now 6 foot 1, so grew to a reasonable size on those lunches (final year of school).

Beamur Mon 22-Jan-18 15:05:06

Sounds like they just need a bit more food.
This is a typical lunch for my DD age 10, but it's been the same for the last couple of years.
Peanut butter or cream cheese sandwich (usually just one large slice of bread) with carrot/celery sticks, alternatives would be a pitta bread, veg sticks and a babybel or hummus in a pot, or a wrap and some veggie ham/chicken style quorn. Frube. Piece of fruit. Drink. Treat snack like a small bag of cookies or Oreos. Sometimes a winder or similar or little bag of dried apricots as the fruit part. She doesn't like crisps, but occasionally I might put in a few Dorito but leave something else out.
I wouldn't worry that it's a cold meal.

Leeds2 Mon 22-Jan-18 15:07:06

They could maybe take soup in a flask.
I would probably add more sandwiches if I thought they were hungry.

gingerclementine Mon 22-Jan-18 15:12:03

OP, I bought wide necked thermos flasks from Wilkos as they didn't like shcool dinner sbut wanted hot food at lunchtime. You can put anything inside: chilli and rice, sausage and beans, stew and mash, pasta with sauce and veg or a chunky soup with a butter bread roll. Add fruit and a treat or a yoghurt. Much better than sandwiches.

You could also do wraps with chicken or beeg strips, salad and sweetcorn. Or mini quiches

beverlybothered Mon 22-Jan-18 15:13:34

@lizzieoak

Thankyou! There are loads of really good ideas there.

beverlybothered Mon 22-Jan-18 15:15:10

@Leeds2

They both have a full sandwhich (2 pieces of bread) and I dont want to overload them with bread. Soups a good idea for the eldest but i'm not sure the clumsy 6 year old would manage without spilling it everywhere

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 22-Jan-18 15:23:22

I would add another item either protein based or full fat dairy. Veg and breadsticks with hummus, cheese, if they are alllowed nuts, cubes of fritata or a milk based drink.

Frustratedboarder Mon 22-Jan-18 15:55:08

Hot food flasks! They are a real thing - about the same width as a pot noodle pot and you can literally put anything that you would in a bowl at home and just send them in with a fork! Pasta and sauce dishes, savory rice, risotto, etc... Totally recommend! They had them in mountain warehouse in sale recently but sure you can get them anywhere really.

lizzieoak Mon 22-Jan-18 15:57:19

This may be regular adult knowledge, but I didn’t realize pre-kids that you have to pre-warm the flask with very hot water from the kettle.

crackerjacket Mon 22-Jan-18 16:12:31

Maybe plougman's - cheese cubes, grapes, crackers, salami/ham, hard boiled egg, carrots sticks.

Get the protein and fat in.

crackerjacket Mon 22-Jan-18 16:13:21

Not sure if your kids like falafels? DS had them the other day and loved them.

beverlybothered Mon 22-Jan-18 17:55:58

@gingerclementine @Frustratedboarder

Thankyou we have just ordered some online and will give it a go.

onlyonaTuesday Mon 22-Jan-18 18:03:25

Pasta salad, veg sticks and dips, cubes of cheese, extra fruit, soreen or similar to bulk it out.

Skowvegas Mon 22-Jan-18 18:11:19

I sent mine in today with sausage rolls that had been warmed in the oven and double-wrapped with tinfoil #winningatparenting

IncyWincyGrownUp Mon 22-Jan-18 18:13:58

Some schools don’t allow hot food to be taken in, it’s worth asking before you send a thermos in.

I do have fond memories of telling the dinner staff at my school that my flask had soup in every day, it didn’t, it had tea ingrin

Kursk Mon 22-Jan-18 18:14:22

Mine get in there lunch the following,

Peanut butter sandwich.
Cookie
Banana or apple.
Granola bar.

Squash for a drink

trinitybleu Mon 22-Jan-18 20:45:49

DD won't eat bread or cheese and is practically veggie. She has:

Cous cous / soup / sausages n beans / mash n beans in a flask or crackers and hummus or mini sausages / chicken skewers
2 or 3 types veg sticks (1/2 pepper, a carrot, 2 sticks celery, 3 inches cucumber)
Dip - salsa, BBQ sauce, hummus
2 x yogurt tubes
2 types fruit - grapes, strawberries, raspberries, plums, kiwis
Crisps
Smoothie

She's 10, nearly 11 and has a good appetite but super skinny.

dairymilkmonster Mon 22-Jan-18 21:14:00

I don't know how healthy the healthy treat needs to be - but malt loaf or flapjacks (halve the sugar, add dried fruit) are good.

Yes to proper decent sandwich ( none of this medium sliced processed bread with scrape of filling).
Cheese
Nuts if allowed
Cocktail sausages/ pepperami
Smoothie if allowed
Full fat yoghurt (can decant from big pot eg onken, Yeo valley) into small tub with lid)

Ds1 has malabsorption and needs lots of food to maintain his weight.

Helspopje Mon 22-Jan-18 21:19:11

Tomorrow-
Hot food flask w sliced up cooked sausages and beans
Hummus and carrot sticks
Apple
Bit of fruit loaf
Dried apricots
Water

Day after
Food flask w Pesto pasta with bacon
Plum
Cereal bar
Cheese cubes and cherry tomatoes
Water

Weds
Lentil soup and seeded roll
Grapes
Falafel balls
Carrot sticks and philly cheese
Little pot of cherios

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now