Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Becoming vegetarian

(8 Posts)
beckymad1x Mon 22-Jan-18 13:12:35

Can anyone help me out on dinner ideas for a vegetarian?

I like meat but the thought of it has really put me off, I just need some help with dinner ideas!

Thanks!

Daphne061 Mon 22-Jan-18 13:19:09

Any meat dish with the veggie alternative (e.g. Quorn products, tofu, soya mince etc.)

For example;

Cottage pie
Cow boy pie
Spaghetti bolognaise
Chilli
Sausage casserole
Spaghetti meatballs

(All staples in our house)

If you're not fussed on the meat alternatives the following are nice with just veg or beans and pulses;

Stew
Casserole
Stir fry
Curry
Pasta and either cheese or tomato sauce
Lasagne

Good luck!

Daphne061 Mon 22-Jan-18 13:20:04

If cooking with a meat alternative for beef, use a teaspoon of marmite in the sauce to add flavour

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 22-Jan-18 13:23:02

Fritata
Spanakopita
Quiche
Homemade veggie/bean burgers
Falafel in pittas
Stuffed mushrooms/peppers
Root veg and chickpea tagine
A good place to start is the recipe section on supermarket websites.
They tend to have lots of veggie recipes with everyday ingredients.

beckymad1x Mon 22-Jan-18 13:27:21

They all sound great, and the martmite tip is brilliant! x

Swatsup Mon 22-Jan-18 13:36:51

I am trying to cut down on meat. The only thing eaten by everyone so far is a veggi lasagne.

BlueChampagne Mon 22-Jan-18 13:52:10

DS1 announced on New Year's Day that his resolution was to be veggie! I have been glad of my copy of The Good Housekeeping Vegetarian Cookbook. Recent hits from it have been bean burgers and a Moroccan filo pie.

PatchworkGirl Mon 22-Jan-18 14:39:44

Regular meals here include veggie curries (chickpeas and/or eggs are good as meat alternatives but there are loads of delicious vegetarian recipies too), risottos, bean chilli, lentil bake, and pasta dishes. All easy to make. The 'meat replacement' stuff (Quorn, veggies sausages/burgers etc.) is a rare treat rather than a staple.

One of our favourite ways to try new meals over the past few years has been from subscriptions to The Spicery (gifts from family) - they include all spices and instructions for a meal and some have become firm favourites here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now