Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Has anyone regretted getting rid of something when decluttering?

(57 Posts)
AstrantiaMajpr Mon 22-Jan-18 11:57:23

I never thought of myself as a hoarder but 3 years ago I bought the Kondo Book. Since then, so much stuff has gone to the tip and the Charity shop. It has been a real eye-opener about how much unneccessay stuff I had. There has not been one occasion when I have thought, ‘If only I had not thrown that away’.

StealthPolarBear Mon 22-Jan-18 11:58:17

No, actually, now you mention it. Never.

Desmondo2016 Mon 22-Jan-18 11:58:28

All the time. I combination of several house moves, OCD about clutter and a naturally impulsive non sentimental personality means I have pretty much erased most of my history accidentally!

helpmum2003 Mon 22-Jan-18 11:58:30

Ditto. Kondo-ING 2 years now, nearly finished the 1st round (!). No regrets!

Borntobeamum Mon 22-Jan-18 12:00:22

Yes. Decluttering due to moving house.
We’ve decluttered our passports so it seems!
We moved 4 weeks ago and every box has found a home. Yikes.

CadleCrap Mon 22-Jan-18 12:00:51

Yes. I threw out my maths question paper that I sat in The 80’s. I am now a maths teacher and would love to see the difference between now and then.

I can’t find it on line sad

user1493413286 Mon 22-Jan-18 12:00:57

When pregnant I regretted throwing away some clothes I’d considered too big but considering that I get rid of a lot of things and don’t like much clutter it didn’t really matter

WellTidy Mon 22-Jan-18 12:02:40

Yes. I've only just begun de-cluttering, and I am regretting getting rid of quite a few things. Nothing irreplaceable, and it is not making me regret starting, but still.

I threw out a barely used Jo Malone Pomegranate noir perfume that I hated, and then found out that a friend absolutely loves it and couldn't afford to buy it for herself. I also threw out what I thought was the second set of Connect Four that we had (and who needs two Connect Fours?). Turned out that I'd thrown away the only set with all the counters in it. Damn. Things like that.

But still. On balance, I am glad I've started and will continue in the same vein.

ShotsFired Mon 22-Jan-18 12:03:48

Through various events, I have barely anything from my entire life before 21 years old. I'm talking clothes, knick knacks, gifts, furnishings, anything you might acquire as a child, right up to leaving university age. It makes me sad to think of what I lost in that.

So I regret not having anything that ties me to the first half of my life. Even if I can't remember what it is I don't have, it'd be nice to know I existed then!

ShatnersWig Mon 22-Jan-18 12:09:21

Yes. When I split with my ex and moved to my own flat I decided I couldn't really keep so many books. I adore books. Got a lot, although mostly non-fiction as I like to learn and if I like certain subjects I tend to collect everything I can on them. I have one 6ft tall 3ft wide bookcase that is all books on one subject.

Anyway, I gave away a full set of Tintin. Suffice it to say I have since replaced them.

TheDrsDocMartens Mon 22-Jan-18 12:10:45

Certain books which I’ve replaced. Or want to.

proudmum4 Mon 22-Jan-18 12:11:10

Yes I sometimes sit thinking should I shouldn't I and most of the time I throw it away and never give it a second thought ..... my partner is a little bit if a hoarder and I've made him throw things out before and he's never asked about it haha

Sarahjconnor Mon 22-Jan-18 12:12:56

Yes. Deeply regret culling my books when we moved house 10 years ago. I still regularly want to revisit something or pass a book onto one of DC and don't have it. Have re brought some.

Sitranced Mon 22-Jan-18 12:13:43

Yes, mostly clothes that I think I won't wear then 3 years later i go to grab the very thing that makes an outfit for it not to be there.

I now ignore the 'if you've not worn it for a year you never will' rule.

treaclesoda Mon 22-Jan-18 12:14:26

Never. I am a constant declutterer, I take stuff to the charity shop at least once a month. Have never regretted any of it. Life is better with less 'stuff'.

Elementally Mon 22-Jan-18 12:14:53

I had a charity shop Bakelite collection that went back that way during one move 20 years ago. Really wish I had held onto it as it's even more collectible now and I miss that lovely green plastic.

zgaze Mon 22-Jan-18 12:16:42

After I had children I got rid of all my thin size expensive work clothes grumpily assuming I was destined to be fat and stuck at home forever, but then a couple of years later I unexpectedly went back to work - had to spend loads of money I didn’t have on rekitting myself out with a whole new wardrobe. Very annoying.

theconstantinoplegardener Mon 22-Jan-18 12:20:07

Yes. I gave away a load of baby toys when my youngest DD had outgrown them. Now I wish I'd kept a few of them back, partly to entertain visiting babies but mostly because objects remind me of things, moments in my own DC's infancy, and without these toys I'm afraid I will forget and the memories will be gone.

MargoLovebutter Mon 22-Jan-18 12:20:07

No, never. I always feel liberated when I get rid of stuff. I'm not anti capitalism or anti-materialistic but we all have way too much stuff. I find too many things in my home claustrophobic but accept I am probably a bit of a weirdo.

MrsKoala Mon 22-Jan-18 12:21:13

Yes, clothes and shoes. I've stayed pretty much the same size for 20 years and every now and then i give to charity things i think i wont wear again. Then a few years later i look for it, or it comes back and in and i really regret it. I had a lovely black wrap shirt, a tweed skirt and grey knee high boots from 10 years ago which i am currently mourning.

I bought the Kondo book and read it and ignored it. Seemed horrible.

cushioncovers Mon 22-Jan-18 12:24:02

Yes various books from my childhood

Thanks for reminding me ☹️😏

ThatsMyCow Mon 22-Jan-18 12:24:24

Never, I always thought I would and avoided throwing things away. Since I started just thinking fuck it and just doing it, I don't remember majority of the things I've thrown away let alone miss them. The way I see it, if something is that crucial, you will use it, if you haven't used it in a long time you don't need it. That doesn't include very sentimental things of course.

TheTurnOfTheScrew Mon 22-Jan-18 12:35:13

yes, but only a handful of things. A really nice tan leather blazer sticks out particularly clearly in my mind, and a "spare" cafetière - obviously I broke ours a fortnight after ditching the spare.

However, I've never regretted passing stuff on enough to feel that I should decrease my decluttering. It's worth missing the odd thing to have a sense of order and lightness.MIL cannot throw anything away, and her large detached house is stuffed to the gills with things that no-one uses or looks at.

user1andonly Mon 22-Jan-18 12:56:44

Yes, some childhood lego that I sold on eBay years ago. I didn't get a great price for it and wish I'd kept it. If it had sold in the region of what I was hoping for, I wouldn't have minded it going, though. I am too honest to have pretended to have lost it or some other excuse so parceled it up and sent it with a heavy heart - they buyer was delighted, grr!

Also, the odd (crappy McDonalds type) toy which hadn't been touched in months but then they asked for the week after. Learned to bag their things up for a few months before getting rid, just in case!

HawkeyeInConfusion Mon 22-Jan-18 13:13:08

Yes. I'm a bit of a hoarder and I keep lots of stuff 'just in case'. Every so often I have a purge of stuff that's been sitting around for years. Then, as soon as it's gone, something comes up and I think "ooh, I've got something perfect for that......oh shit'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now