Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

30 free hours in Reception

(59 Posts)
drspouse Mon 22-Jan-18 11:54:06

Posting here for traffic. We are considering part time school for our DD who is now 3 1/2. I just saw this on Gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/free-childcare-and-education-for-2-to-4-year-olds

It looks like you can still claim the 30 hours if your child is not yet compulsory school age??

Has anyone with a reception age child done this?

eurocampL0ver Mon 22-Jan-18 11:58:10

It is not for reception, it's for nursery. You can claim 30 hours free if you are working. At 3.5 your child should already be in nursery as every child is entitled to 15 hours free anyway....

Helspopje Mon 22-Jan-18 11:58:15

They go to the school if you start prior to CSA
Part of me thinks that this is why they are so keen for summer borns to start in the sept of their cohort year - ££££s

drspouse Mon 22-Jan-18 12:01:57

She is in nursery and we claim for that.

PineappleScrunchie Mon 22-Jan-18 12:03:32

Looking at your link, I think it’s poorly phrased but saying it stops when you start reception.

drspouse Mon 22-Jan-18 12:03:51

Hels I'm thinking about after school club or a couple of days at nursery and a couple at school. Does the school actually claim the 30 hours directly then? I don't know anyone currently with a child in Reception who might be in the same situation.

drspouse Mon 22-Jan-18 12:05:03

Pineapple the whole thing has been poorly run but it definitely says "CSA if this is later".

LIZS Mon 22-Jan-18 12:06:29

You can already get the EY 15 hours before csa if you only use a qualifying private school , cm or preschool. However if you combine pt state school they get first call on this funding, so probably same applies.

DrRanjsRightEyebrow Mon 22-Jan-18 12:06:44

At 3.5 your child can be in nursery or pre-school. They get 15 hours automatically and some nurseries and pre schools will give 30 hours if you prove eligible.
They start reception in a primary school the first september after they turn 4. There is no charge for this. It's full time but you can opt to send them part time until the first term after they turn 5 as before this it's not compulsory.

Twofishfingers Mon 22-Jan-18 12:07:38

If your child starts Reception, they have to attend 5 days or nothing at all I think. It's not a pick and choose situation.

The free 30 hours is for nurseries/childminders/pre-schools. Schools headcounts work differently and so does their budgets.

Babyiwantabump Mon 22-Jan-18 12:08:04

Sorry I don’t understand- the 30 hours is for those who work and goes towards nursery fees etc .

It is an additional 15 hours on top of the 15 hours for all .

You can claim it if you or partner work over a certain amount .

My DS gets the 30 hours which is spread between playgroup ( attached to his school) and nursery .

He is 3 .

When they start in reception it’s free anyway?

NatashaRomanov Mon 22-Jan-18 12:08:27

Why are you considering part time school for your 3.5 year old?

School, in England, starts the September term after the child is 4.
The 15 or 30 free hours is for childcare or early education (nursery, childminder, pre-school) BEFORE the child goes to reception. There's no free childcare (that I am aware of) once the child starts school.

ForgivenessIsDivine Mon 22-Jan-18 12:08:30

From your link: 'stops when your child starts in reception class (or reaches compulsory school age, if later)'

I assume if your child starts reception, even if it is part-time, then the entitlement to free nursery provision is replaced by an entitlement to free school provision.

Parents who wish to delay starting school until the compulsory school age are still entitled to the free nursery provision in the meantime.

I am not sure what you plan regarding part-time school but I don't think you would be entitled to both school and nursery.

PineappleScrunchie Mon 22-Jan-18 12:08:44

I know, but if you read their other documentation - like this link it talks clearly about eligible 4 year olds being those whose parents deferred their reception place.

Babyiwantabump Mon 22-Jan-18 12:09:29

And yes the school claims directly .

It is funding for pre school children . Not for those in school

PineappleScrunchie Mon 22-Jan-18 12:09:56

I think confusingly the “if later” is referring to starting school later than compulsory school age.

Helspopje Mon 22-Jan-18 12:11:03

The 15h def are all claimed by the school. Ours uses them for the yr TA.
School was underwhelmed when I tried to delay entry and the other patents were told that my child not starting was why funding was tight <<unimpressed>>

30 is a bit newfangled for me but wouldn't be surprised. They aren't going to let you subsidise wraparound for yr.

PourMeAGlassOfMilk Mon 22-Jan-18 12:27:47

At our preschool there are a couple of children with late summer birthdays who have deferred Reception places for a year and we are still able to get funding for them as they don't turn 5 until August. I believe this is also true for private schools being able to claim until the term the child is CSA.

drspouse Mon 22-Jan-18 12:30:35

Two if your child is not yet CSA you can send them full time, part time, or not at all.
Natasha she is awaiting a diagnosis of SEN, and it's not properly toilet trained (and that's a situation that's been going on for over a year since she decided to stop wearing nappies, so no guarantee it will resolve by September, and it's worse when she's tired).

I do remember the rules about the 15 universal hours going to the school. And that's been the case for a while.

So I am talking about the top up 15 hours.
It doesn't say "until your child starts Reception or reaches CSA if this is earlier". That would make it plain that:
If your child starts Reception it stops
If your child reaches CSA but you are using home schooling and a CM it also stops.
It in fact says if this is LATER
So it seems to say "if your child starts Reception the top up hours stop when they reach CSA"

yodaforpresident Mon 22-Jan-18 12:35:45

Not sure about the 30hours, but certainly for the 15 hours, my reception age DD's independent school reclaimed the amount from the government and set it against our fees. As DD was summer born and was not five until May, this happened for the entire reception year.

eurocampL0ver Mon 22-Jan-18 15:02:25

As an eyfs teacher and a parent to summer born children can I just take this opportunity to advise against deferring reception place. If you choose to defer your child will go straight into year 1.
This is Much harder for a child that has not experienced reception. The eyfs curriculum is completely different a day the children learn through play. If your child misses out on this crucial stage, even if they have SEND, it could be massively damaging.

drspouse Mon 22-Jan-18 16:22:29

Don't worry euro we aren't deferring (or at least not if we can't be guaranteed a place in Reception, and probably not even then). We just want to think about more of a staggered start. I don't think she needs an extra year - but she may need a few more months and/or some breaks each week.

Helspopje Mon 22-Jan-18 21:42:24

Euro - they don't necessarily go into y1 at csa
Can apply for yr at csa (delayed entry, not deferred)

eurocampL0ver Mon 22-Jan-18 21:46:20

I'm pretty sure even if you delay /defer you still go into the same year you would have had you not deferred/delayed iykwim.
So, for example, my dd was August born. If I had delayed her school start she would have still gone into the same cohort, which would have moved up a year, so year 1

SillyBub Mon 22-Jan-18 21:51:36

I'm genuinely surprised that as an EYFS teacher, euro, you don't know that summer born babies can apply for and are frequently accepted to defer their Reception start for a year. They still start in Reception when they join a year later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now