Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Kids party - do you feed the adults?

(56 Posts)
user1498912461 Mon 22-Jan-18 10:32:05

We are having a small party at home soon for DS's birthday. Wondering if we are supposed to feed the adults? We've always hired somewhere out so this is new to us! Also I'm planning on sitting DS and his friends at the table for the birthday tea (there is only room at the table for him and his friends) his friends siblings are coming (they are toddlers)and will have party food too obvs but DH thinks it would look bad if they are not sat with the others. This is new to me lol

Johnnycomelately1 Mon 22-Jan-18 10:34:29

I'd give all the kids a carpet picnic rather than split into guests and siblings. Someone will kick off.

RE adults, I always provide drinks and snacks for adults, but not a full on buffet- so beer and wine, soft drinks and some crisps and dips, olives, sausage rolls etc.

DayKay Mon 22-Jan-18 10:36:15

I give a few snacks and a drink. Usually they want tea or coffee.

Flapdoodles Mon 22-Jan-18 10:40:26

I would do the carpet picnic too - I usually buy a cheap plastic table cover for them all to sit on and afterwards I pick it up at the 4 corners and put it in the bin (with all the crumbs, rubbish etc). Re the adults I usually just do tea and coffee and some cakes - we get a tray of cakes from Costco.

MrsKoala Mon 22-Jan-18 10:53:12

If we have parties at home we do big buffet and the parents are invited to eat as well. We get beer and wine too. Everyone just sits where they can or take turns to eat when there is space.

listsandbudgets Mon 22-Jan-18 11:08:46

We always feed parents even if its just tea and biscuits though usually what we do is over cater for hte children and invite the parents to mop it up smile

BorgQueenie Mon 22-Jan-18 11:13:11

No, I've never fed adults, it's a children's party and adults shouldnt expect to be fed.

blinkineckmum Mon 22-Jan-18 11:36:53

Offer tea and coffee. They hoover up unwanted party food. Then cake for everyone.

user1498912461 Mon 22-Jan-18 11:37:26

Thanks all! I like the idea of buying a big plastic cloth and picking up the four corners at the end of the party and throwing it all in the bin lol. We'll probably do a carpet picnic afterall and I'll get some cakes etc for the adults 😊

UrsulaPandress Mon 22-Jan-18 11:38:43

The adults eat the leftover egg butties.

Yum.

MrsHathaway Mon 22-Jan-18 11:50:48

At the best children's party I ever went to as an adult, the (completely brilliant) mother (SM-R I salute you) had done platters of mini scones with dollops of jam on them. Just exactly what you felt like whilst watching hordes of young children shrieking with laughter at an overdressed entertainer.

I agree with others, leftover sandwiches and a cup of tea is as much as people will expect. Even better if you can leave out the necessaries and tell people to help themselves.

whooptifeckindo Mon 22-Jan-18 12:00:29

I never feed the adults - party at home usually- but they are welcome to nick food, make a cuppa , do whatever if they want to stay.

user1493413286 Mon 22-Jan-18 12:03:41

Crisps and cake for adults as well as hot drinks or whatever drinks you want to offer.

justforthisthread101 Mon 22-Jan-18 12:11:45

Adult eat leftovers which is the very nice lunch I had yesterday but I also provide a cake or two for grown ups.

AppleTrayBake Mon 22-Jan-18 12:12:18

Parties at home we seat all kids in a circle on the floor. I usually do a hot lunch of either chicken nuggets or hot-dogs with chips, in a small hotdog box with cartoons of juice. Ice-cream or maybe a small cake each for dessert. (Always found there is less waste this way)

Always get a small sandwich platter (m&s?) for the adults and a box of assorted biscuits. Plus help yourself fruit juice and cups. Making everyone tea/ coffee takes ages!

I think it's nice to feed the adults and it doesn't take much effort.

AppleTrayBake Mon 22-Jan-18 12:15:47

Oh, I always have chopped fruit, bowls of crisps and jugs of water too!

Sleephead1 Mon 22-Jan-18 12:15:51

I just do food everyone can eat , pizza, sandwiches, quiche, fruit veg, pasta type things then Crispy cakes and cupcakes ect so everyone just eats what they want but I've o my ever done smaller party's with family and couple of friends type thing as my son's younger If it was all school parents I didn't know I think I would probably just do the same.

Stompythedinosaur Mon 22-Jan-18 12:39:33

Parents get tea/coffee and leftovers after the kids have eaten.

I let siblings join in with the party tea though.

raisinsarenottheonlyfruit Mon 22-Jan-18 12:52:07

Best kids' party I went to, adults got crisps and prosecco smile

Pollaidh Mon 22-Jan-18 13:06:08

We provide champagne and canapés for the parents, and they can eat leftover children's food too.

BlurryFace Mon 22-Jan-18 13:09:33

At the carpet picnic sort of parties I've gone to, the kids get first dibs on the buffet and then the adults can grab whatever's left and have a cuppa.

QueenUnicorn Mon 22-Jan-18 13:24:10

Just put on a few pizzas for the adults. It's not like they have the option to buy their own food if they're at your house. It's miserable to be hungry while others are eating.

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Mon 22-Jan-18 13:26:21

We always used to buy party packs you shove in the oven for adults.

C0untDucku1a Mon 22-Jan-18 13:27:41

We always hired halls for dc when they were 1-5. I provided scones with jam and cream, and tea and coffee for the adults.

From 6 we have had parties at climbing centres, trampoline centres, dance clubs etc. From that age i dont expect parents to stay, and theres generally a cafe, so i havent provided anything.

paxillin Mon 22-Jan-18 14:16:40

The kids eat the sausages, breadsticks and the sweets. All the rest is put on for show (carrot sticks, sandwiches, tomatoes...) and eaten by the grown ups.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now