Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Cheap nice towns in north Yorkshire or near, preferably seaside

(91 Posts)
TheWelshDragon Mon 22-Jan-18 06:31:09

Looking to move in just over a year. I need to be closer to my aging mother on the north Yorkshire coast (east coast) so anywhere from Saltburn down to Hull I guess. There are plenty of cheap houses and flats around Saltburn but the towns/ villages seem very run down.

We only need 1 or 2 bedrooms but only have a budget of about £65k. Is there anywhere decent where we'd get a flat or small house for that in a reasonable area?

TheWelshDragon Wed 24-Jan-18 00:17:31

No one?

AwkwardSquad Wed 24-Jan-18 06:33:49

Saltburn itself is lovely though I think out of your budget. Scarborough has a lot going for it but has some bad areas; I think your budget might not be enough for a decent area but you could do a bit of research then maybe post again to ask about specific areas?

AwkwardSquad Wed 24-Jan-18 06:36:07

Redcar might be worth researching too. It is run down but there’s been a lot of investment in the seafront.

AwkwardSquad Wed 24-Jan-18 06:36:43

Caveat that Redcar and Saltburn aren’t actually in North Yorkshire!

TheWelshDragon Wed 24-Jan-18 23:15:35

Thanks. They'd be close enough to north Yorkshire.

I dont really know areas of Scarborough at all. I saw a flat on North Marine Drive that would be in my budget, any ideas what it's like around there?

I saw a few houses near Saltburn in Bretton and somewhere nearby, but they looked like the areas might be rough,

Having said that, I know someone who lives in skelton and says it's nice around there.

Scarbybeachbabe Wed 24-Jan-18 23:26:25

NC for this but I'm in Scarborough. North Marine Road isn't great I'm afraid. A lot of ex-b and bs that are now temporary accommodation including ex-offenders etc. I know someone who lives there and is fine but she's in a block of all owner occupied/private rented flats and all her neighbours are nice. There's quite a lot of drugs etc in that area. I think you'll struggle to find a nice area at that budget but lots of areas that are thought of as 'rough' are very mixed so it might be a case of looking at individual streets.

Scarbybeachbabe Wed 24-Jan-18 23:32:06

If you can stretch to 70k you could get a one bedroom flat in south cliff which is a very nice area. Or there's some near falsgrave road which is fine although quite busy/near town centre so you might get a bit of pub/takeaway noise.

Scarbybeachbabe Wed 24-Jan-18 23:33:37

This one might be worth a look - nicer area than north marine road. www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67189418.html

TheWelshDragon Thu 25-Jan-18 01:10:05

Thanks Scarby smile

I'm not able to move for another year as dd is studying for a levels.

Could you give me a general idea of places to avoid completely? Good to know about north marine drive. Wouldn't need to be directly in Scarborough, can be up to any hour away, but £60k is going to be pushing it for me .. self employed, will struggle to get a mortgage, etc ... and I don't want to flitter away my savings on rent.

DreamyMcDreamy Thu 25-Jan-18 01:39:45

£65,000? That's not going to get you hardly anything in North Yorkshire, even if it is only a 1 or two bedroom house!
Just looked on Rightmove. There's some properties on there that would fit your budget if you were only wanting one bedroom.

TheWelshDragon Thu 25-Jan-18 01:45:03

Yes one bedroom would be ok, flat or house.

TheWelshDragon Thu 25-Jan-18 01:45:46

I can go down to east Yorkshire/Lincolnshire at a push ... within about an hour of Scarborough, preferably near the sea.

PizzaPower Thu 25-Jan-18 06:41:04

Not sure of houses, but just on your point of an hour from Scarborough. The coast road takes ‘time’ to drive up and down. An hour doesn’t equate to a massive distance if that makes sense.
You mentioned Lincolnshire, coming over the Humber and up might just be way over an hour in reality on mainly single cartridge-way through villages.

MaisyPops Thu 25-Jan-18 06:48:02

Whitby is nice and so are villages abd towns around the robin hood's bay stretch but you won't get anything in your budget.

Horsemad Thu 25-Jan-18 07:03:07

Could you stay put and move your mum to you instead?

TheWelshDragon Thu 25-Jan-18 09:08:57

Thanks, that's a point, hadn't thought about the traffic being slow on that road.

No she won't move, her flat is ideal and I wouldn't be able to buy anything down here.

IreneDunne Thu 25-Jan-18 09:36:17

Moving further down the coast to Hornsea or Withernsea is probably within your budget, but they're quite run down and I agree with the PP that the roads in the summer can be very slow indeed.

Filey is pleasant and worth looking at, but some of the cheaper properties will be in holiday complexes and they may have restrictions to prevent you living in them all year round.

Be aware too that this is an eroding coastline and it will be difficult/expensive to get house insurance in some of the areas where houses are at risk from the sea. Unfortunately that probably equates with some of the cheaper houses.

North Yorkshire is generally an area with high house prices so it's going to be a challenge on a small budget.

IreneDunne Thu 25-Jan-18 09:37:51

*That should say "parts" of Withernsea and Hornsea are quite run down.

Scarbybeachbabe Thu 25-Jan-18 11:38:39

In Scarborough; Eastfield, Barrowcliff, North Marine Road/Queen Street area and parts of the old town would be seen as not so nice areas. Having said that, I have friends who live in all these areas and it's fine. It's really just a few streets/a couple of properties that give a whole area a bad reputation.
I'd second being aware of driving times. Mr friends DH commuted to Hull and it was 90mins - 2 hours at rush hour so I'd say Lincolnshire would be 2+hrs drive.
East Yorkshire is definitely cheaper though so Bridlington might be with a look. If you could go far as Hull that would def be cheaper although I don't know much about areas in either Brid or Hull.

TheWelshDragon Thu 25-Jan-18 11:47:29

Thanks.

Bridlington seems to be similar to Scarborough price wise.

TheWelshDragon Thu 25-Jan-18 11:49:13

Sorry clicked send too soon.

I wouldn't class hull as seaside and remember it as very grey and depressing (apologies to anyone who lives there! I'm sure it isn't all like that and I haven't been for a while)

TheWelshDragon Thu 25-Jan-18 13:28:39

Can anyone tell me what Britton, Loftus, Skelton, Carlin How, Boosbeck are like?

lovemylover Thu 25-Jan-18 14:45:11

Some areas of Scarborough are lovely, but i agree about North Marine road, Barrowclffe isnt as bad as it used to be, but there are a few ex council houses you could look at, although doubt even then you would get anything for your price range
Maybe a flat would go for that price. Filey is lovely but can be quite Cliquish. although there are a lot of people who retired there from other places
There are also some lovely villages around that area
Prices are quite low everywhere at the moment,
My son had his ex council house up for sale and has had to drop the price a lot, as mainly people were struggling to get mortgages,and he need to sell it, it was a 4 bedroomed too, so you might find a flat at a very reasonable price,
ASfriend of my sons has recenly bought a lovely flat for £68.000 so there must be others
I have lived in Bridlington and wouldnt live there again, some of it is very run down
Look on local estate agents and see what the general prices are for flats, doubt if you will get a house for your price

Paddingtonthebear Thu 25-Jan-18 14:50:40

I definitely wouldn’t recommend Bridlington.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now