Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Give me your best slow cooker recipes... pretty please!

(76 Posts)
Mummybo8 Sun 21-Jan-18 23:19:33

I have a (tiny) slow cooker that was gifted to me by a friend. Perfect size for cooking for myself and 2 DD’s whilst husbands away.

I used it tonight but didn’t really know what I was doing. Just bunged a few things in and it turned out okay.

I need some inspiration though. What meals work well in the slow cooker? Help!

user1471443504 Sun 21-Jan-18 23:24:55

www.ablissfullife.com.au/2013/02/sausage-casserole-slow-cooker-recipe.html?m=1

Allaboutthatcake Sun 21-Jan-18 23:25:58

I male bbc good foods Mexican chicken in mine, it’s lovely and you shred the chicken st the end which thickens it up.

steppingout Sun 21-Jan-18 23:28:14

We liked this one - www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slow-cooker-spanish-chicken

Also made passata in it, which was delicious - this was the recipe. www.budgetbytes.com/2011/11/slow-cooker-marinara/

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sun 21-Jan-18 23:31:16

I made a lovely stew the other night.

Stick a pack of braising steak, cut into cubes, into the slow cooker and sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper, then mix so the flour coats the meat. Then add two carrots and two parsnips, sliced into thick chunks, and two roughly chopped onions (or half a pack of peeled baby onions). Add just enough water to cover the veg, then add a chicken gravy pot, a red wine stock pot and a sweet and Smokey stock pot (I got all these from Tesco). Cook on high for 6 hours, then make some dumplings, add them to the stew and cook for a further 45 mins. Delicious and thick gravy.

sashh Sun 21-Jan-18 23:33:17

Try roasting meat in it, just put the joint in the sc with nothing else, no water, nothing.

easy chicken one

chicken breasts, mushrooms, tin of condensed soup and tub of creme fraiche.

GeneandFred Sun 21-Jan-18 23:35:41

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slow-cooker-chicken-casserole

Snakesandsnakes Sun 21-Jan-18 23:35:47

Allaboutthatcake - came on here to suggest exactly that - Mexican chicken, delicious and so easy. I make enough to have it with rice one night then add a few extra veg and have it with pasta the following night.

Mummybo8 Sun 21-Jan-18 23:39:44

Allaboutthatcake and Snakesandsnakes

Which Mexican chicken is it, there were a few when I searched on bbcgoodfood. Sounds yummy.

Mummybo8 Sun 21-Jan-18 23:41:23

sashh love the sound of that chicken & mushroom one. Should I chop the chicken?

MiddleClassProblem Sun 21-Jan-18 23:45:28

When I roast meat in it I scrunch up 4 balls of foil to pop under it so the bottom doesn’t sit in the juices produced.

I’ve also done a beef joint in there with just a bottle of red chucked in (shit to drink stuff) and it was beautiful.

Mummybo8 Sun 21-Jan-18 23:52:46

Definitely need to try roasting meat in it!

abitoflight Mon 22-Jan-18 00:09:05

Gammon good in SC
Pork shoulder - put crackling in oven at the end to crisp up
Sometimes put a tin of pineapple chunks in with gammon
Lamb with redcurrant jelly and mint sauce

MountainVista Mon 22-Jan-18 00:20:33

I have a slow cooker recipe book which says I have to fry everything i.e onions and brown meat before making a stew - do others just bung it in as is? Does that work? because it would be life changing

sashh Mon 22-Jan-18 00:21:31

Mummybo8

You can but you don't have to, just as you prefer.

sashh Mon 22-Jan-18 00:24:48

MountainVista

Depends on the sc. My big one I never brown or fry anything, my small one I prefry onion as they tend not to cook properly.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 22-Jan-18 00:26:57

mountain i didn't brown the meat when I did stew, I just coated it in flour and it worked perfectly and thickened the gravy.

MountainVista Mon 22-Jan-18 00:38:48

AndNone this could be a game changer!

88mph Mon 22-Jan-18 00:48:07

Chilli:

1 packet of mince (I cook it first to drain the fat)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin kidney beans (rinsed)
1 beef Oxo
Glug of Worcestershire sauce
Load of cumin
Corriander
Few chilli flakes (if you want it more spicy)
cook for 4ish hours on low.

Done! It's my absolute fav. Can serve with wraps, sour cream and a salad. It always goes down well with guests and the nice thing is you can chuck in whatever extra you want, peppers, mushrooms, etc. to bulk it out.

TalcAndTurnips Mon 22-Jan-18 00:50:41

I would definitely brown sausages before putting them in a casserole otherwise it ends up looking like something Jeffrey Dahmer might cook.

confused

Snakesandsnakes Mon 22-Jan-18 12:29:43

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/531628/mexican-chicken-stew
This is the one I meant - it's delicious and very easy and I don't brown anything just chuck it all in the slow cooker and let it sort itself out. I do give it a stir every so often though as it smells great!

Allaboutthatcake Mon 22-Jan-18 21:04:10

That’s the one! I don’t brown things first either.

sashh Tue 23-Jan-18 13:31:12

OK another one

pack of pork ribs - Morrison's seem to do the best IMHO.

livingmylifefrugally.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/morrisons_pork_ribs_recipe_glazed.jpg

1 onion finely chopped
1 can of beans drained, I use kidney or bertolli but you can use any or a mix
1 pepper sliced
1 pack passatta
seasoning - I use salt, pepper and Schwartz season oil
optional - a piece of chorizo chopped in to 1 cm chunks

bung it all in and leave for 6 hours, after this time the meat will have fallen off the bone, I use chopsticks to remove the bones.

If you cook for less than 6 hours the cartilage isn't fully melted and looks and tastes a bit grim.

Serve with crusty bread to mop up the sauce.

ImNotChangingMyUsernameAgain Tue 23-Jan-18 13:50:19

This is my fave: http://coffeemuffins.com/slow-cooked-beef-bourguignon/1860/

Mummybo8 Tue 23-Jan-18 13:56:14

Great recipes here! I’ve got your easy chicken one on as we speak sashh

Does anyone do porridge in their slow cooker? I saw a celeb chef saying she does an apple & cinnamon porridge in their. Pops it on at night and then it’s ready to serve in the morning. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for doing porridge in there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now