Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Did anyone else feel startled when their son's voice broke?

(82 Posts)
Somerville Sun 21-Jan-18 16:20:31

DS (13) has gone from having a higher pitched voice than me, to very deep, since October half term. It's so startling - I keepforgettjng, and then jumping when he speaks. Especially when DH isn't at home, and I suddenly hear a male voice. I mentioned this to some friends with similar age sons the the other night, and got hmm - this face!
I need to get my head round him growing up, I guess. It changed to fast - I was expecting it to be a slower process I think.

QueenofLouisiana Sun 21-Jan-18 16:23:22

We aren’t at this point yet, but DS has shot up in height and I feel surprised when I get hugged by someone taller than me. He patted me on the head last last week and roared with laughter at my scowl.

Somerville Sun 21-Jan-18 16:29:57

DS overtook me in burger about a month before his new voice appeared, so it'll probabaly happen soon!

PoptartPoptart Sun 21-Jan-18 16:32:13

I remember it wasn’t so long ago that I could bend down to kiss my sons head. He’s now 13 and a whole 3 inches taller than me!
His voice is also in the process of breaking and it’s a very strange feeling

curlycat Sun 21-Jan-18 16:34:57

D'S is 13, nearly foot taller than me and I panic for a second when I hear him and his friends come in the back door thinking there's a load of grown men coming onto my house😂😂

DramaAlpaca Sun 21-Jan-18 16:36:07

Yes, especially with DS1 whose voice broke pretty much overnight at 13. He also sounds so like his dad it's uncanny, especially on the phone.

DS2 went through the squeaky stage before his voice broke fully. He was very glad it happened over the summer holidays, and at one point considered not talking for a few weeks until the random squeakiness stopped grin

curlycat Sun 21-Jan-18 16:36:15

Oh and the size of all the trainers lying in my hall is ridiculous. D'S was a cute wee boy 5 minutes ago

HemanOrSheRa Sun 21-Jan-18 16:37:33

Yep! DS is 12 almost 13 and sometimes when he is in his room chatting on line I stop and think 'Who the hell is that??!!' He also had a growth spurt over the Christmas break and is now taller than me (not hard to be fair). We have had to adjust how we do stand up cuddles smile.

We met up with my sister a few weeks ago. She hadn't seen DS for a while. I had to prewarn her that he had got tall, spotty and talked with a growly voice. She was still shocked by the changes!

Ratonastick Sun 21-Jan-18 16:37:54

Yep. DS is 15, has a deep voice and stands a foot taller than me. Sometimes I just can’t equate the grown up who lives in my house with the child who used to. Part of the process I guess.

amusedbush Sun 21-Jan-18 16:38:10

I have a much younger brother and I remember it felt like he went into his room to play his Xbox with a little boy's voice and came out later that evening with armpit hair and a deep voice 😂

DramaAlpaca Sun 21-Jan-18 16:40:27

It's so lovely when this tall manchild you gave birth to wraps his old mum up in a massive bear hug. All three of mine do it & it's so nice.

hugoagogo Sun 21-Jan-18 16:41:38

Definitely remember thinking 'who the f is ds's room?' Only to realise it was ds smile

HemanOrSheRa Sun 21-Jan-18 16:41:39

Hehe curly yep. I have had to tell DS he needs to tuck his shoes/trainers into the wall more as he is a size 8. I keep tripping over these HUGE great big things in the hallway!

DextroDependant Sun 21-Jan-18 16:41:47

Luckily ds is having a period of croakiness first which gives time to adjust. He has been growing a cm a month lately.

ReelingLush18 Sun 21-Jan-18 16:43:14

I still sometimes get a bit shocked when I hear DS upstairs as he has a very deep and resonant voice now it's broken.

Nottheduchessofcambridge Sun 21-Jan-18 16:43:40

My DS6 has already got the lowest huskiest voice I’ve ever heard on a little boy, god knows what he’ll sound like when he’s a teen!

DriggleDraggle Sun 21-Jan-18 16:46:09

i thought it was cute. what surprised me was when they started to smell different.

they used to smell so delicious, just so wonderful. i would sniff them (and when they were infants had a weird compulsion to lick the top of their heads hmm ) then one day, mid teens , eldest first then a year or so later the youngest, just smelled vile. i would struggle to not physically recoil.

it was so weird.

i decided that just as the lovely smell was nature's way of getting you to keep them close, the sudden rancid smell was nature's way of telling you it is time to boot them out of the nest 😁

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sun 21-Jan-18 16:46:44

Yes, and yes to the suddenly taller person too! Until he was about 15, DS was around my height (5'3") and then almost overnight he shot up and is now taller than his dad and so broad shouldered. When he hugs me now it's like a massive bear hug. Mind you, his half brother is 6'5" so i expect he will go the same way. DSS's mum is around my height so it must be DH's genes.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sun 21-Jan-18 16:49:02

dramaalpaca DS also went through a squeaky phase but over the course of about a year - he took the piss out of himself constantly though, and wasn't at all self conscious.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sun 21-Jan-18 16:51:38

The height was harder than the voice IME. He's 13 and has been taller than me for over a year (I'm 169 cm, he's about 172). I have to make him sit down if I want to tell him off. I used to love planting a sneaky kiss on the top of his head, but I can only do that now if he's sitting down and doesn't hear me walking up behind him. He has a very low voice too, lower than the average adult man, I don't know if it's going to drop further as he gets older. It didn't really break though, he never had that phase were they alternate between squeaky and low, his voice just slid gradually lower over about 18 months, so I had ages to get used to it.

fairgame84 Sun 21-Jan-18 16:53:07

I was sat here last night and freaked a bit at the strange man's voice until I realised it was DS talking to himself.

BertrandRussell Sun 21-Jan-18 16:54:54

I will never forget the time I accidentally caught sight of ds naked for the first time for some years when he was about 13. ..........

Somerville Sun 21-Jan-18 17:00:41

Oh I'm glad it's not just me!

I can't work out why I've never heard women talking if about this before, but it's probabaly one of those things I just never stopped to listen to while they were little - it felt a million miles away.

Yes, especially with DS1 whose voice broke pretty much overnight at 13. He also sounds so like his dad it's uncanny, especially on the phone.

That's part of my what makes me keep startling with hearing DS, Drama my dear. He suddenly sounds just like his late dad. It is very unsettling, and not something I was anticipating and already trying to get my head around.

DramaAlpaca Sun 21-Jan-18 17:12:26

Sorry if my post was insensitive Somerville, I should've thought of that flowers

happinessischocolate Sun 21-Jan-18 17:14:22

My 13 year old us still shorter than me but I swear he's gone up a couple of cm every single time he walks into the kitchen.

He had some mates round the other day, 1 who seems to have started growing a beard since I last saw him 6 weeks ago, and one who still has size 4 shoes when the rest are all 8/9, so from the shoes in the hall it looked like I had 5 men and 1 boy in the house 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now