Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Ambient packed tea for 7yo school trip

(38 Posts)
HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 21-Jan-18 16:06:18

DD is going on a school trip, so she will go to school one day and needs a pack lunch and a pack tea, however they cannot go in normal lunchboxes, they need to in a carrier bag so that everything can be thrown away.

Clearly anything that she normally has like ham/cheese/chicken wraps she can't have as if I put cool packs in they will get binned.

Any thoughts on what I can make up 2 meals with that doesn't need to be kept cool?!

NickMyLipple Sun 21-Jan-18 16:08:13

Can't you freeze capri-suns instead of ice packs?

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 21-Jan-18 16:09:10

How hot is it where you are? In the UK in January you should be ok just putting the sandwiches in sandwich bags. No need for ice packs.

bigbluebus Sun 21-Jan-18 16:10:49

Freeze a bottle of water and use that as the ice pack. as it melts, she can drink the water and then throw it away.

turophile Sun 21-Jan-18 16:11:36

I take lunch to work in my bag every day, never put it in the fridge and it hasn't killed me yet blush I would think in January you wouldn't need cool packs in with sandwiches?!

Nottalotta Sun 21-Jan-18 16:11:46

You can freeze drinks and tube yogurts to help. Where wI'll the food be stored (are they walking outside/cold?)

A cheese sandwich would be OK wouldn't it? Crisps. Malt loaf bar. Fruit. Frozen yogurt. You can make pinwheels which won't need to be kept cold .

Two meals will be a push though.

Somerville Sun 21-Jan-18 16:12:04

Unless the trip takes place in peak summer heat, or somewhere with massively too-high central heating, none of the things you mention need to be kept cool. I'd probably do sausage rolls or meat-filling sandwich for lunch, and cheese sandwich for tea, along with babybels, fruit, etc.

TinklyLittleLaugh Sun 21-Jan-18 16:12:26

I would say that anything would be fine until lunch time. Even for tea I'd consider anything that wasn't meat, so peanut butter, homous, cheese with salad in a wrap. Maybe a hard boiled egg?

SoupDragon Sun 21-Jan-18 16:12:46

Cheese and ham aren’t going to go off in January. Especially cheese.

BertrandRussell Sun 21-Jan-18 16:13:12

Frozen bottle of water as a cool pack. Sorted.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 21-Jan-18 16:13:29

Depending on the temperature then maybe only half freeze Capri suns etc otherwise DD might not be able to drink them. I took a frozen water to work the other day and it was still frozen when I bought it home.

NannyR Sun 21-Jan-18 16:14:04

Babybel cheese is fine out of the fridge. Jam sandwiches - not too nutritious but it's a one off!

MrsHathaway Sun 21-Jan-18 16:14:09

Make the sandwich a day or two in advance and freeze it. Put in the bag straight from the freezer. Also works for e.g. Peperami, Cheese Strings, Frubes.

But unless the food is left in a radiator it would be fine anyway.

Lalalaleah Sun 21-Jan-18 16:14:31

Assuming it's high summer where you are. Frozen water bottles are the way forward, keeps everything and the water cool.

WaxOnFeckOff Sun 21-Jan-18 16:16:08

At this time of year anything will be fine. It's not going to get warm and sweaty. If you give sandwiches for one meal. things like slices of cold pizza/sausage rolls etc would be good as a change for the other meal.

AlexanderHamilton Sun 21-Jan-18 16:17:51

Cheese will be fine. Also thinks like dairylea dunkers.

I do agree though withnthe freezing a water bottle idea. I do that often in the summer instead of ice packs.

WaxOnFeckOff Sun 21-Jan-18 16:19:27

If you are somewhere warm, then stick to the peanut butter, cheese spread, chocolate spread type of fillings. DSs when they do DofE take tinned fish and wraps or pitta bread as it's bit more robust, or a tube of squeezy cheese and dried baked dutch bread type things. But it depends on the age of your DD and her ability to combine the separate parts successfully smile

Starlight2345 Sun 21-Jan-18 16:22:06

If you are concerned would she eat jam ?

GreenTulips Sun 21-Jan-18 16:23:33

Freeze 1/3 if a bottle of water then cold in as the rest

Quite easy really

PoptartPoptart Sun 21-Jan-18 16:27:52

How about those John West pasta and tuna tubs? They don’t have to be refrigerated at all and they are fairly healthy and filling.

cansu Sun 21-Jan-18 16:30:55

Unless you are somewhere hot outside Uk, there really is no need for cool bags etc. Just do two packed lunches. If you want to give something different for tea, do some kind of pasta salad as well, sausage rolls, cereal bars etc etc.

sandragreen Sun 21-Jan-18 16:31:23

Is "pack lunch" a regional thing? SE here and we would say "packed"

Anyhoo, are you not in UK OP? It's bloody freezing here and you would have more problems with making sure the sandwiches didn't freeze before they are eaten grin

Assuming you are in hot forrin country, just put a couple of bottles of iced water in the bag and hopefully that will keep it cool.

allegretto Sun 21-Jan-18 16:32:17

Cheese and ham aren’t going to go off in January. Especially cheese.

This. Maybe ham for lunch and cheese for tea if you're worried. We often do this even in the summer and it's never been a problem.

Fekko Sun 21-Jan-18 16:33:54

If buy a cheapy cool bag for the supermarket or the pound shop - I wouldn’t assume it would be good enough to keep prawns or egg mayonnaise hunky dory but a ham sandwich should stay nice and fresh.

SkyIsTooHigh Sun 21-Jan-18 16:34:36

Normal cheese/ham/egg will be fine til lunchtime, and jam or cheese sandwiches for tea.

We grew up with non-insulated lunchboxes.

I wouldn't go mad with sending in frozen stuff, because if it's kept outdoors in a coach boot or whatever, it might still be frozen when she needs to eat it. The odd frozen frube should be ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now