Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you buy a house that's been on sale since August 2016?

(53 Posts)
poddige Fri 19-Jan-18 16:40:28

As the title says really!

Seen a house on rightmove (not irl yet). We are planning a relocation to either Yorkshire moors/Lake District type areas. Have viewed quite a few properties but the only one we loved has sold.

This has been for sale since August 2016. So am wondering what the catch is!

Any advice before we trail across country to check it out? The market is obviously pretty slow that end of the world - but this is a very long time on the market, so am dubious.

New House, Appleby in Westmorland
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44511483.html

OlennasWimple Fri 19-Jan-18 16:42:45

I'd phone the estate agent and ask them about any previous offers and whether the buyers are serious about selling

sportyfool Fri 19-Jan-18 16:43:43

It's lovely , is it expensive for the area ?

PassTheSatsumas Fri 19-Jan-18 16:48:01

Ask, there may be issues like short lease , right of way on land etc... expensive repairs which people don't have cash to do

Or it could be that previous sales fell through (happened twice to people I bought from, buyers lost their jobs)

I'd be very very wary, but if all checks out also gives you good negotiating power to get a bargain ...

poddige Fri 19-Jan-18 16:48:28

It's pretty comparable for the area. And all houses that are similar seem to have also been on for a while. Think we need to go see the village to see what the put off is.

We've been mainly looking in the lakes, and although it's a slow market there, I think perhaps the added tourist flow and pockets of towns do make the market a bit more buoyant.

Hoping it's a lovely village with a slow market and nothing else! Thank you for your replies

PassTheSatsumas Fri 19-Jan-18 16:48:37

New build: may also have been listed for sale before actually complete ...

Fanwickfan Fri 19-Jan-18 16:48:41

I would not buy it. It's too close to a main road. I think that's the reason why they are struggling to sell.

SingingSeuss Fri 19-Jan-18 16:48:47

It looks lovely. Can you talk to the estate agent about the history (ask how many people have offered on it, if they know why they pulled out, any Dodgy planning applications/ roads/ deaths in the house etc). If nothing that bothers you go for it.

MrsExpo Fri 19-Jan-18 16:49:06

Wow ... lovely house and lot more property from the money than you'd get in my neck of the woods! It won't be the cheapest house to run though, I'm guessing. I'd call the agent and have a chat.

MrsExpo Fri 19-Jan-18 16:50:25

Appleby in Westmoreland ... is that where they have the horse fair every year?

SingingSeuss Fri 19-Jan-18 16:51:06

Has the price dropped massively in this time. If not maybe they're after a set price/ not serious about selling.

Si1ver Fri 19-Jan-18 16:51:16

Man, what is going on in that red bedroom? 😆

On a serious note it's very close to the road and I'm not sure if buy it because of that.

clairethewitch70 Fri 19-Jan-18 16:52:14

If this is the same Appleby, it may be why it is slower to sell?

www.thesun.co.uk/news/3754381/appleby-horse-fair-starts-hundreds-travellers/

(It would not put me off, just that it may be a reason why)

whitemarble Fri 19-Jan-18 16:56:02

I would consider it, I'd be concerned about the main road. As to why it's not sold yet I'd want to know about any previous issues identified on surveys, any proposed developments close by etc.

MikeUniformMike Fri 19-Jan-18 16:56:11

It's nice. There's probably no land with it and people are put off by the listed status.
Maybe there's not much demand for 5 bed houses at that price in the area.

MrsFezziwig Fri 19-Jan-18 16:56:34

It looks lovely, so I’d definitely check out the surroundings to see if there is anything off-putting (e.g. pig farm next door).
Guess the horse fair is only once a year but I don’t know how bad it is.

Fruitloopcowabunga Fri 19-Jan-18 16:56:56

Wouldn't put me off at all. Our next door neighbour's house has been on the market for ages and it's lovely, perfect family home (unlike ours!). I know someone who wanted to buy it but couldn't sell their own but people have different tastes/needs. I'd think it was a bonus that they might be more willing to negotiate/ complete quickly etc

poddige Fri 19-Jan-18 16:57:49

That's the one @clairethewitch70 🐎

Very good point. Might put another post up to ask if anyone from there and how much they are affected by the fair each year.

The road is also a really good point. Plus the original listing being put on when it was in early stages of building.

So many great points, thank you. Am in the midst of house blindness have looked at SO MANY on rightmove. Seeing floor plans in my sleep.

mustbemad17 Fri 19-Jan-18 16:59:25

The travellers are a big thing for newbies to take in. An aunt of mine had a house quite close to where the river is, it's spectacular to see so many horses together!
But there has in the past been a few issues with the fair, I think it's had a knock on effect for house sales. My aunt stopped trying to sell hers in the end

MairzyDoats Fri 19-Jan-18 17:00:24

My parents lovely 4-bed house in Cumbria took 18 months to sell - they had a buyer for about the last 10 months of that, who then had to find a buyer! The market is incredibly slow, unless you're in a tourist hot spot like keswick. I wouldn't worry too much about the horse fair, it's one weekend of the year and it's pretty rowdy but locals just avoid the town centre and tie everything down

PeasAndHarmony Fri 19-Jan-18 17:01:47

Are the local schools an issue? The 2 nearest state schools haven't got very good ofsted ratings.

The main road?

The surrounding land, who owns it and is development likely?

Was it put on the market at an unrealistic price?

Have the owners been reluctant to sell? We bought off a divorcing couple and the husband had refused all offers (even those at asking price) for 2 years and the wife had to go to court to force a sale.

PickAChew Fri 19-Jan-18 17:02:01

It's not a newbuild. New House is its name!

It's not unusual for houses not in towns or cities to take a while to sell, particularly when they're larger or more expensive than the average family in the area is going to be looking for.

It's gorgeous, mind.

DextroDependant Fri 19-Jan-18 17:02:09

Looks lovely apart from the toilet.

PanPanPanPing Fri 19-Jan-18 17:03:36

It's hardly going to be a 'new build' (as a PP said) if it's Georgian. Nor is it likely to be Leasehold if it's a house.

Looking at the map, I wonder if it's on a flood plain?

poddige Fri 19-Jan-18 17:03:38

Ahh thank you @mustbemad17 there are quite a few in the area been on sale for 18 months plus. Imagine would be just as difficult - if not more - to sell if we decided to move. Think we might have to cross it off the list. What a shame!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now