Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is 30 a big birthday to you?

(38 Posts)
Hippydippydoo Tue 16-Jan-18 10:04:38

Following from another thread, it would seem there are mixed feelings regarding if your 30th is a big deal?

Did you celebrate your 30th? What are the big birthdays?

I'm interested because I turn 30 this year and had been quite looking forward to it as a "special" birthday, but am starting to think I might end up a bit underwhelmed!

Thoughts?

CheapSausagesAndSpam Tue 16-Jan-18 10:08:12

I'm 45....I don't "do" birthdays and have always been slightly irritated by adults expecting a fuss.

Big birthdays are 10 and 13 and 18.

The rest....meh.

Once you're grown up, you can treat yourself at any time. Expecting or wanting a treat from your loved-ones...or to be treated as special for the day seems weird.

People should treat one another well ALL the time.

FaFoutis Tue 16-Jan-18 10:09:18

All birthdays are just birthdays once you are an adult.

IggyAce Tue 16-Jan-18 10:13:19

I celebrated my 30th, went out with DH and friends to a 70s night at a local hotel. I don't make a massive fuss about every birthday but I do like to celebrate what I see as milestone ones so 30th, 40th, 50th and so on.
I'm 40 this year and DH has booked a night away and I'm also arranging afternoon tea with family and close friends.

Hippydippydoo Tue 16-Jan-18 10:13:48

Just to be clear before this thread takes things out of context, I don't usually"do" birthdays either, and agree that all birthday apart from "bigger" ones are for children only. It's just a matter of which ones are considered bigger, as clearly many adults do celebrate, 40th, 50th,60th etc, I have been to many of these parties myself.

I'm not hoping for some kind of extravaganza, just maybe a meal with family that perhaps isn't organised by myself.

amusedbush Tue 16-Jan-18 10:17:45

DH and I will turn 30 in two years (two weeks apart) and yes, we will celebrate a bit more than a "normal" birthday. Neither of us are party people though so it won't be a big blow out!

PrimeraVez Tue 16-Jan-18 10:17:46

I think it's a 'big' one - I would class it in the same category as 21st, 40th etc.

I had a tiny newborn baby on my 30th birthday so think we only made it out for lunch at a café next to our house but DH bought me a very posh watch which is way above and beyond the sort of thing I would normally get for a birthday.

Equally, for his 30th, I booked a surprise trip to Vegas which was definitely a very special treat and not the kind of thing I would do each year.

As long as you are all on the same page about what constitutes a 'big' birthday, who cares what other people do or think! Happy birthday in advance!

FluffyWuffy100 Tue 16-Jan-18 10:18:20

Yeah 30 is a big one! Defo one to have a big party for.

You are leaving behind your twenties having done an awful lot of growing up and maturing, you generally have a sorted group of friends and are progressing with your career by 30. In my cohort it seems 30 is before you settle down and have kids also, so it is a fun one.

The big ones IMO are 18, 21, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100.

HunterHearstHelmsley Tue 16-Jan-18 10:20:24

Yep, it's a big birthday. Any 0 birthday (except 10 and 20) are big birthdays.

Saysomethingnice Tue 16-Jan-18 10:21:35

Yes!! 18 was sort of marked... 21 no... I generally didn't make fuss of any bday at all but 30 yes!! I had a little party and went on weekend City break.
I have lovley memories of it, I also made fuss of my 40 th in that we had another city break.

It's very personal.. We don't usually celebrate adult bday...

Saysomethingnice Tue 16-Jan-18 10:22:49

I also made a fuss of dd turning 10.

Chapterandverse Tue 16-Jan-18 10:27:03

I just turned 40.

The celebrations must have lasted a month by the time I met different groups of friends for coffee/cocktails/walk on the beach.... a surprise family party and a night away with dh...

I have a big family so we do tend to mark the 18, 21, 30, 40 etc..... It's quite often an excuse for a get together grin

colourfulll Tue 16-Jan-18 10:27:55

I am a cake maker and do lots of 40th, 50th and 80th, some 70th but very very few 30th's.
I think a lot of people turning 30 are in the midst of small children, huge mortgages and career challenges so there often isn't the time or money for big celebrations.

BusterTheBulldog Tue 16-Jan-18 10:36:56

It was a big one to me and literally everyone else I know.

wendz86 Tue 16-Jan-18 10:39:13

A fairly big deal, myself and my good friends did more than we normally would for our birthdays. I had a night out with work and they took me out for lunch and paid for me to have my hair done . I went to a spa break overnight with friends and then had a night out with other friends. Normally i would just do a meal or something. I don't think you have to celebrate big but why not if you want to.

GreatDuckCookery Tue 16-Jan-18 10:40:23

I think it can be, yes. I am not keen on any fuss on my "big" birthdays but I don't see why you can't make yours special OP.

Elpheba Tue 16-Jan-18 10:43:42

It felt sort of big but not enough to warrant a huge party. I think pp who mention people being pregnant/having small people are right though and I found myself in that position so I didn't want to "waste" money on a party but I did want to mark it so had a special weekend away with DH and did more treat things than would have normally. (Though the weekend was more just a relief to have a lie in and rest from the toddler!)
I did get more "special" presents from friends and family though who clearly all counted it as a big birthday.

RainyDayBear Tue 16-Jan-18 10:55:10

I think it’s a big birthday! DP and I both turned 30 within a month and a half of each other, DD was quite little and I was on maternity leave, so we didn’t so much to celebrate. If not I think we’d have probably gone away somewhere fancy. Will definitely be planning to party extra hard for our 40ths!

scaryteacher Tue 16-Jan-18 11:14:44

My 30th was the day we had ds Christened, so that overtook events! I was still pole axed by being a Mum, as he was not yet 3 months old, and he was not well either. 40 was a bigger deal, 50 was spent in bed with shingles, so 60 might be a weekend in Venice or Vienna with luck.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 16-Jan-18 11:19:15

I don't think it's that big tbh.

Big ones for me are 16, 18, 21, 50, 70, 90, 100

Other people see big birthdays as 10, 13, 30, 40, 60, 65, 80 which aren't to me.

Housewife2010 Tue 16-Jan-18 11:24:08

I don't see 30 as a big birthday. I'm in my 40s and none of my friends celebrated differently for our 30th. Is making a big celebration of your 30th a recent thing? If you are 40+ did you see your 30th as a landmark birthday?

Lofari Tue 16-Jan-18 11:30:09

I thought 30 was a big one. Until my mother told me not to expect a present as it isn't a special birthday like 40 is......
Kind of put a downer on mine.
In fairness I did have a newborn when my actual 30th came around so DH gave me a lie in....that was fab

Velvetbee Tue 16-Jan-18 11:33:17

It didn't seem particularly special to the folks around me but we're all around 50 now and that does feel a big deal. We're out of the haze of small children, beginning to look about us with a clearer gaze, planning new adventures.

amusedbush Tue 16-Jan-18 11:34:19

If you are 40+ did you see your 30th as a landmark birthday?

My mum is mid 50's and had parties for her 18th, 21st, 30th, 40th and 50th. Also her silver wedding anniversary, both of her uni graduations and she insisted on throwing me a 21st party, the guest list of which was pretty much just her friends. I went to bed at 10.30pm and left them all to it! blush

To be fair, she just loves a party grin

Crunchymum Tue 16-Jan-18 11:34:54

Yes '0' birthdays are a big deal to me.

Doesn't mean I'd nessacarily throw a party but I'd certainly do something a bit more special than an average birthday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now