Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

**Trigger Warning** Childhood Trauma, title edited by MNHQ News story about Turpin family -upsetting

(905 Posts)
TheSecondOfHerName Tue 16-Jan-18 08:48:09

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42698562

This news is really upsetting me - I'm finding it so unsettling that no one around them realised.

TheSecondOfHerName Tue 16-Jan-18 08:48:56

link you can click on

Sarahjconnor Tue 16-Jan-18 08:52:38

It is unsettling - they weren't geographically isolated but no one noticed this was happening under their nose.

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Tue 16-Jan-18 08:53:13

What a sad and strange story.

CiderwithBuda Tue 16-Jan-18 09:03:04

It's very strange. Especially with the photos of them at Disney and at the wedding in Las Vegas. Seems so at odds with the reality of their lives.

And the photos are weird in themselves. All in same outfit with same hairstyles.

Well done to the 17 year old who escaped and raised th alarm though. That took guts.

TheSecondOfHerName Tue 16-Jan-18 09:06:47

The way the mum is smiling in the booking photo taken in the police station - she doesn't seem at all remorseful.

CrazyExIngenue Tue 16-Jan-18 09:08:07

I'll be shocked if it's not linked to some sort of fringe Christianity that believes in "spare the rod, spoil the child".

KayaG Tue 16-Jan-18 09:21:22

Sounds like an incestual family to me.

Sarahjconnor Tue 16-Jan-18 09:22:16

crazy - me too - perhaps quiverful - definitely cultish? But then you would expect the older children to be married too. It's so sad, those poor children.

CrazyExIngenue Tue 16-Jan-18 09:23:31

But then you would expect the older children to be married too

You'd think, but maybe they resisted. Or maybe the husband was keeping them for himself. I'm sure there's still plenty to be released.

SuperBeagle Tue 16-Jan-18 09:23:39

Sounds like an incestual family to me

I thought this too.

crunchymint Tue 16-Jan-18 09:23:56

My sister is way over protective with her kids and does not let even the 15 year old leave the house alone. Neighbours I have heard through local rumour think they are weird, but I know my sister is big on attachment parenting and would never hit or abuse them.
What I ma trying to say is there are plenty of strange families around where children are not being abused. So I can totally see why no one realised what was happening.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Tue 16-Jan-18 09:26:57

Crunchy have you tried to help your sister? She's seriously impeding her child's development.

crunchymint Tue 16-Jan-18 09:29:13

I know she is, but she will listen to no one, not even her DH.

FluffyWuffy100 Tue 16-Jan-18 09:30:53

All too easy in a country where you can 'home educate' with minimal checks

crunchymint Tue 16-Jan-18 09:31:35

Sorry should add, all the family have tried, we have not ignored this situation and never would. But she just sees it as family trying to interfere with how she raises her children. I know she uses MN, and has probably posted on here about this in a way that she gets support to tell her family to keep their nose out.

crunchymint Tue 16-Jan-18 09:32:17

You can home educate with minimal checks in most of Britain too. It is not an American thing.

FluffyWuffy100 Tue 16-Jan-18 09:32:26

My sister is way over protective with her kids and does not let even the 15 year old leave the house alone.

What I ma trying to say is there are plenty of strange families around where children are not being abused.

Personally I would say that that was some kind of abuse.

crunchymint Tue 16-Jan-18 09:39:44

There are others on here who would agree that it is fine, although I agree with you.
But sadly I can see why no one raised the alarm about this family.

onalongsabbatical Tue 16-Jan-18 09:41:51

does not let even the 15 year old leave the house alone. So, at what point does that become abuse? Sixteen, seventeen, twenty? To me, at fifteen that's already abuse and I'd be reporting it. It's imprisonment. The child isn't five, they're fifteen, they should have reasonable age-appropriate freedoms.

MammaTJ Tue 16-Jan-18 09:45:00

All too easy in a country where you can 'home educate' with minimal checks

Fluffy, I have been Home educating my DD since September. I have had one 'check', which I could have declined. I chose to allow it. Get your facts right before blaming HE for this. It is not being allowed to HE that caused this, it is sick and twisted parents!

My DD is currently walking home from the gym, we will begin school work on her return, she is going to Air cadets tonight and at no time will she be tied to her bed!

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 16-Jan-18 09:45:18

The photo with all the children wearing a t shirt with Thing 12, Thing 3 is chilling

crunchymint Tue 16-Jan-18 09:46:59

It has long being recognised that HE does allow abusive parents to have no oversight. But HE community fights against any checks being put in place.

BluePheasant Tue 16-Jan-18 09:47:56

Isn’t it strange that no family members reported them either. Wonder if they had cut off ties with the family. But then there is the Disney photo with what looks like could be other family members with them confused

And the wedding photos. Strikes me as odd that they had so many children before getting married especially in a v religious part of America. Unless it was a vow renewal thing.

Oh it’s just all so bizarre. Hope those poor children will be protected now.

Travis1 Tue 16-Jan-18 09:51:23

Just seen the photos on Facebook from the vow renewal 2016. To think that some of those girls in the pictures are in their 20's is unbelievable they look so young and they look painfully thin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now