Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

This is enough for a just 2 year old to eat isn't it?

(144 Posts)
WaitingForSunday17 Mon 15-Jan-18 20:33:11

Dd is just 2 and overweight. Very overweight.
I don't know why she is so overweight as I don't feel she eats excessively but she is. She was having a lot of milk until she was about 19 months, plus the food and that was when she gained a lot of weight. I dropped the milk down massively and cut out snacks and thought she would level out but she's still really overweight.

Today - which is a typical day - she has had:

Some berries and half a weetabix for breakfast
Ham and cheese toastie on wholemeal bread at lunch (one slice), four strawberries.
Half a banana and plain biscuit
Two tablespoons mashed potato, broccoli, carrots, peas, turkey.
Strawberries, grapes and blueberries
8oz formula milk before bed.

Why is she still so fat? I've increased her exercise to at least an hour of high activity a day (park, soft play, tumble tots etc) and she rarely uses the pushchair anymore so walks a lot.

WaitingForSunday17 Mon 15-Jan-18 20:33:28

Oh and drinks waters or sugar free squash

TiffTaffTop Mon 15-Jan-18 20:42:13

It really is a very normal diet for a 2 year old. You will get all sorts of responses on here so be prepared. You are much better off going to speak face to face with your HV or GP.

QuercusQuercus Mon 15-Jan-18 20:43:54

Has your DD's weight been flagged as a problem by a doc, health visitor or other professional? Or is it that you feel she's overweight/have measured her on charts and she's coming out overweight? No judgement, just interested to get the full picture.

The food doesn't sound excessive to me. My daughter is large, both weight and height above 90th centile, and I have been through times of worrying I'm overfeeding her. But the health visitor assured me it's fine. She tends to put weight on in bursts, then grow: if I measure her BMI during the phase before a growth spurt she sometimes comes out as 'overweight'.

Lules Mon 15-Jan-18 20:45:38

Definitely doesn’t sound enough good to make a 2 year old very overweight. Are you completely sure she is? I think you need to go to your GP

WaitingForSunday17 Mon 15-Jan-18 20:46:51

We'll I can see by looking at her that she's a lot bigger than most her age.

She is 93cm but she weighs 2st 9lbs. It puts her over the 100th centile making her obese. A lot of weight is around her middle and the top of her legs. She is in age 3-4 but not so much for height (starts at 98cm) as width. Her arms don't fit down the sleeves of the smaller sizes.

WaitingForSunday17 Mon 15-Jan-18 20:47:30

She was having a lot of milk on top of that amount of food until a few months ago. I expected once we stopped the milk that she would slim down but she hasn't.

AmberTopaz Mon 15-Jan-18 20:48:45

Do you know her height and weight OP? That doesn’t sound excessive to me, at all (although at her age I’d cut out the formula before bed, personally).

PandaPieForTea Mon 15-Jan-18 20:49:06

Why is she having formula - how would that compare to semi-skimmed milk?

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Mon 15-Jan-18 20:50:01

I’d stop the formula for a start. She doesn’t need it. That’s another meal right there.

Everything else sounds pretty standard tbh. Is she walking? I found once mine got to walking then running it dropped off fairly quickly. If she’s not long been walking then it might just take a bit of time.

halfwitpicker Mon 15-Jan-18 20:50:23

Yes, why's she having formula?

CorbynsBumFlannel Mon 15-Jan-18 20:50:34

Mine would have similar at that age.
Maybe cut out the biscuits and give cows milk rather than formula? My hv said semi skimmed rather than whole is fine before 5 if the child isn't needing to gain weight.
It's certainly not ludicrous what you're giving but if your child really is very overweight then switching milk and keeping biscuits as an occasional treat would probably be a good idea. And she doesn't seem to have veg apart from with her evening meal so maybe some carrot sticks or something with lunch instead of fruit?

KatnissMellark Mon 15-Jan-18 20:50:50

What centile is her height on? I think height and weight centile should vaguely match.

KatnissMellark Mon 15-Jan-18 20:55:09

I've just popped her height into the WHO growth charts and she is 98+th centile for height too, so it seems her weight is not hugely out of kilter with her height. Is she due a growth spurt anytime soon? My DS seems to get tubby then shoot up and skinny-out in a sort of cycle.

CorbynsBumFlannel Mon 15-Jan-18 20:56:06

Giving porridge or shredded wheat would also cut out the sugar in the Weetabix.
She sounds like she's doing a decent amount of activity so if she's bulked up with a lot of formula you might need to just keep an eye on her diet and wait for her to grow a bit!

SaturdaySauv Mon 15-Jan-18 20:56:27

My 2 year old DD is a bit chubby (25th for height but 40th for weight). She eats more than your DD but possibly less energy dense foods (lots of fruit and some veg) and has a small drink of semi skimmed milk (probably around 4 oz).

She has some days where she's less interested in food and other days when she has about 4 breakfasts!

I just try to vaguely keep track of what she's eaten over the previous few days so I can make sure her diet is balanced/appropriate for a 2 year old.

WaitingForSunday17 Mon 15-Jan-18 21:02:15

She's been walking nearly a year and doesn't sit still. We do swimming as well. I've been trying to make sure she gets at least an hour of high activity every day for the last few months.

She has formula because it has the fish oil in it and I can't get her to eat fish or take any of the drops with the fish oil in them. It is something I would like her to have. I will keep trying with the fish.

She does eat a lot of fruit but I give her mainly strawberries, raspberries, blueberries. They are lower in sugar than some of the other fruits and at least they are low in fat.

tommyspud Mon 15-Jan-18 21:02:18

My DS would have eaten similar at her age. I agree though with other posters and give actual milk rather than formula

WaitingForSunday17 Mon 15-Jan-18 21:02:21

The NHS says she's obese even with her height taken into account. She is tall. I know her weight isn't going to be low but she looks too fat.

She has the formula because she won't eat fish or take fish oil and there's some in the formula.

She's been walking for a year and she doesn't really ever sit still but I've been trying to up the exercise for about a month too so we are definitely getting at least an hour of high activity. Swimming we do too.

NapQueen Mon 15-Jan-18 21:02:24

Swap the formula for semi skimmed milk. If anything its cheaper!

tommyspud Mon 15-Jan-18 21:02:26

My DS would have eaten similar at her age. I agree though with other posters and give actual milk rather than formula

NapQueen Mon 15-Jan-18 21:02:27

Swap the formula for semi skimmed milk. If anything its cheaper!

dementedpixie Mon 15-Jan-18 21:06:02

Mine don't eat fish either but it's not something I worry about. No need for formula at that age

relaxitllbeok Mon 15-Jan-18 21:07:54

Overfed children do grow tall as well as broad so it's a mistake to think it's OK because their height is at a very high centile as well as their weight.

Sounds as though some real life advice from someone who can see the child would be a good idea, but maybe you need to be more patient and keep doing what you're doing? If she was eating a lot more till 19 months that's really not long for her body shape to change in. A pound of fat is still 3500kcal or whatever it is, and that takes a lot of days of the kind of calorie deficit that makes sense for a toddler (which is why it's often suggested to think in terms of growing into the weight rather than losing).

It may well be that you'll have to cut back further (I'd cut formula as others have said, and swap berries for vegetables), but in your place I'd want real life professional advice. The exercise is great but won't be having a big effect on weight. She certainly isn't now eating significantly less than the average 2yo would. So where would fat loss come from?

QuercusQuercus Mon 15-Jan-18 21:09:47

I'd make an appt to chat with the health visitor. Charts don't take into account the full variety of children's bodies and growth rates, they're a generalisation. You'd be best off getting a professional opinion. They'll be happy to talk to you about it and as this is obviously worrying you I think it's the best option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now