Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What would you do if a real missile was on its way to your house?

(146 Posts)
Ieatcake Sun 14-Jan-18 13:56:47

I'm not sure, I have no basement and no idea where a boom shelter is. If I drove no idea what would be best way to drive

TheQueenOfWands Sun 14-Jan-18 13:58:32

Snuggle up with my family and put our favourite film on.

pinkginanyone Sun 14-Jan-18 13:59:27

My actual house?! Family cuddles and a large vodka for everyone.

Onesmallstepforaman Sun 14-Jan-18 13:59:30

If it's nuclear, run out and get vaporized. I don't want to be around in the aftermath. Try and whatsapp my daughter

CaoNiMa Sun 14-Jan-18 14:00:30

I would fall down on my knees and pray!

HolgerDanske Sun 14-Jan-18 14:01:47

Messages to my daughters, family, and friends. Anyone who was with me, snuggles and something good on the telly (or music that we all love).

In reality I guess I’d probably be utterly panicked. But in absence of anything practical to save myself, I’d like to think I would spend my last minutes on earth feeling grateful and sharing that with those I love.

SmallBee Sun 14-Jan-18 14:02:57

I think I read something once about how you are supposed to board up your windows from the inside and fill up the gaps with coal to absorb radiation but I have no coal, boards, hammers nails or diy skills.
I suppose the things to do are send any important messages to loved ones, charge all your devices whilst you can. Store as much water as you can and wished you hadn't made fun of all the preppers.

maddiemookins16mum Sun 14-Jan-18 14:03:33

I'd hold my loved ones and give the cat a goodbye kiss.
Actually I've just welled up, how ridiculous of me.

Shadow666 Sun 14-Jan-18 14:03:56

Live stream on Facebook!

MiddlingMum Sun 14-Jan-18 14:06:21

Message the DC, make a pot of tea then sit and wait. I'd probably eat all the chocolate cookies, no point in worrying about nutrition if you're going to be nuked in ten minutes.

JayZed Sun 14-Jan-18 14:06:53

Straw in bottle of vodka and wait for the end, nothing else you can really do.

Finalpaoa Sun 14-Jan-18 14:07:57

if its directly at my house probably get into bed with my pets and just cuddle. If it wasn't directly going to hit my house and I had a chance of survival gather everyone in downstairs loo as it's at centre of house and no windows with some water and food.

Knaffedoff Sun 14-Jan-18 14:11:04

in the 80's when Russia and America were in the midst of a cold war, our local school tested their air record siren. My mum recalls making a cup of tea for the neighbour and sitting out in the garden waiting .....grin

Medeci Sun 14-Jan-18 14:11:11

drink as much alcohol as I could while listening to favourite music and eating chocolate.

Hatchinganegg Sun 14-Jan-18 14:11:42

Make my last cup of tea before getting vaporised

Shadow666 Sun 14-Jan-18 14:12:43

I have actually had a real missile heading towards my house. It went like this...

Lie in bed thinking about getting up and going for a wee.
Read missile alert on phone
Ponder why they always launch the missiles so early in the day
Get up and go for a wee
Turn TV on for the news to gauge if it's actually likely to hit
Get on with morning under the all clear is sounded.

I've been considering turning the cupboard under the stairs into a bunker, but am too lazy to actually do it though.

DancesWithOtters Sun 14-Jan-18 14:14:19

If there was no hope of escape I'd crack open the expensive whisky, grab cat and DP on the sofa and put LOTR on one final time. And give cat a block of cheese.

MysweetAudrina Sun 14-Jan-18 14:15:13

Probably get in my car and drive away.

Medeci Sun 14-Jan-18 14:16:55

How would we know about it if it was on its way to the UK?

Shadow666 Sun 14-Jan-18 14:19:32

They track them by radar. North Korea is being watched all the time. It would be on the news and the UK government can send a warning to iphones etc.

It's unlikely that one would be sent to the UK though Hawaii and Guam are closer to NK and there's no love for the dotard.

Adviceplease360 Sun 14-Jan-18 14:20:52

If there was no chance of survival, pray and hold my children close.

I

RebelRogue Sun 14-Jan-18 14:21:38

Chances of escape, get in the car with dd,oh,cat,hamsters (might consider the fish) and just drive as fast and as far as possible.
If it was imminent, cuddle up and watch Harry Potter . In reality I'd prolly try to shove dd in a cupboard or something and desperately hope she makes it.

ineedaholidaynow Sun 14-Jan-18 14:22:20

Medeci I wondered that. How would they notify everyone?

Alcohol and chocolate seem a good idea

You're not that likely to be vaporised unless it's actually going to hit your actual postcode.

Much more likely to be badly burnt and irradiated, so to avoid that I'd hang out in my basement with whatever buckets or plastic boxes I could find on the way down, filled with food/irn bru (am a prepper where sugary irn bru is concerned)/water for all of us for a few weeks.

Plastic boxes would sadly have to become waste storage.

I have to work on entertainment plans but kids could always play charades - seems to keep them going for 3 or 4 days at a time.

Allaboutthatcake Sun 14-Jan-18 14:31:05

I was thinking about this having seen what happened in Hawaii.

I live a good 30 mins from my family and am in a major city so there would be little chance of me getting to them. But ideally that’s what I’d do. I guess I’d go round to a friends house and crack open a bottle of something expensive I’ve been saving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now