Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you consider the term “basic white girl” racist?

(84 Posts)
BornInSydneyy Fri 12-Jan-18 19:32:40

I’m just curious ... I’ve heard the term many times before but now I’ve heard on it quite a big American chat show, and it was used in a derogatory way.

waitingforlifetostart Fri 12-Jan-18 19:33:46

Never heard it. What on earth does it mean?

wizzywig Fri 12-Jan-18 19:34:32

Thats an awful term.

misspetite Fri 12-Jan-18 19:35:37

Basic black, basic white girl, basic asian girl- That's not racist. t just means there's nothing special about the person.

restbiterepeat Fri 12-Jan-18 19:35:39

What? Basic, how? I've never heard of it.

DrRisotto Fri 12-Jan-18 19:36:57

No.

CharizMa Fri 12-Jan-18 19:37:26

What does it mean?

I suppose you could call somebody a basic black girl as well.

I bet it's men using it to keep women in their place whatever it means.

WunWun Fri 12-Jan-18 19:38:08

It doesn't mean all white girls. Basic is a fairly recent insult, the opposite of 'extra'. You could say basic black girl, it's about an individual. It doesn't mean 'she's a stereotypical white girl'

Missingstreetlife Fri 12-Jan-18 19:39:26

Not racist but rude tho

smashyourglasses Fri 12-Jan-18 19:39:29

Someone with no ideas, no creativity, no original thoughts in their head and just follows the crowd. A number of white females behave a certain way.. I don't think it's racist but it is derogatory I suppose 😂

FrancisUnderwood Fri 12-Jan-18 19:39:35

It's a term used to describe a cultural sub section of society. Namely, a young white woman who is stereotypical of other young white women in a particular class of her age.
Think: Instagram filters, ugg boots, unicorns, Starbucks etc etc.

Wether it's racist or not is a matter for debate, probably.

Fekko Fri 12-Jan-18 19:40:24

Ive never heard it and don’t really get the meaning. Is colour relevant?

restbiterepeat Fri 12-Jan-18 19:40:47

Extra? Holy shit, I am sooo old?

BornInSydneyy Fri 12-Jan-18 19:41:05

Basic white girl is quite a fairly common insult.

It’s about being a stereotypical white girl .... drinks at Starbucks, wears uggs, leggings. uses the flower crown filter on snapchat

restbiterepeat Fri 12-Jan-18 19:44:06

I don't see how any of those markers of identity could be racist or even derogatory. Wtf is wrong with Starbucks and uggboots?

BornInSydneyy Fri 12-Jan-18 19:45:05

It’s “basic”

Ratinthehat Fri 12-Jan-18 19:45:20

I'm ancient as I've never heard of extra either. Then again my 12yo dd talks another language most of the time. I'm 35 and thought I'd have a few more years before I was past it. I'm sure if I heard anyone say either I'd just give them this look hmmconfused

FrancisUnderwood Fri 12-Jan-18 19:47:07

It's usually used by mean girls to describe other girls in a derogatory way, thus making the mean girls 'less basic' than the victim, or by men in a derogatory way about young (usually) girls who don't show them much interest.

Sandsnake Fri 12-Jan-18 19:47:28

I think it's really unkind. I find it disappointing that mainstream media aimed at young people (such as Buzzfeed) use it quite a lot. It is unnecessary, divisive and seeks to put people in pigeon holes.

SayNoToCarrots Fri 12-Jan-18 19:48:39

I'm 30 and we were calling people extra when I was in primary school. I'm so cool and ahead of the game.

Intercom Fri 12-Jan-18 19:49:12

Is it the same meaning as "white trash"? Either way I do think it's racist.

FrancisUnderwood Fri 12-Jan-18 19:49:53

'Basic' usually relates to something lots of people do, making it popular.

To out it into Mumsnet friendly terms: "OMG Yankee Candles are so BASIC. I only use Jo Malone"

Essentially, it means passé.

georgie262 Fri 12-Jan-18 19:50:56

It came from basic bitch though didn't it? Basic white girl is a variation in that but I've seen other variations of 'basic' too

MorrisZapp Fri 12-Jan-18 19:52:44

Basic means mainstream.

FrancisUnderwood Fri 12-Jan-18 19:54:45

Maybe the 'white girl' thing has been added because, culturally, the 'basic white girl' will be into, and have slightly different stereotypical markers than a 'basic black girl'.

The insult is the same though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now