Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

*Rant warning* Am I the only one who can't wait for Christmas to be over with now?

(111 Posts)
LittleLights Mon 18-Dec-17 23:01:38

I really can't wait for it all to be over with, I'm stressed with the shopping, stressed with the wrapping, stressed with making sure I have not forgotten anyone and making sure everything is delivered or given to the correct people on the correct day.

Had enough now.

I still have one present waiting to be delivered and I still need to chase up a company that mess up another order.

The DC have been needing money for the last few days (gifts for their friends, school Christmas cards, School performances, school Christmas lunch etc) so I have been trying to find that.

My house is a mess as I can't find anywhere to keep the gifts that have already been wrapped so they are piled up in corners of my bedroom, in my wardrobe (I had to take out my clothes to fit them in!), on top of my wardrobe, in the boiler cupboard and any other spaces I can find.

I keep thinking I have forgotten someone but can't remember who.

I had a complaint from my mother this morning that a few relatives have not received a Christmas card from us yet.

I still need to do a normal weekly food shop but no online slots available so will have to go do a shop in person.

I have another 6 people I need to find the time to see and drop off their gifts.

DC only have 2 days left of school!

LittleLights Mon 18-Dec-17 23:08:36

I'm also tired and grumpy but can't sleep as older teen is out and has no key so I need to wait up and let them in.

he has no key as DH snapped his and now uses DC

RunningOutOfCharge Mon 18-Dec-17 23:17:20

It's all a load of fuss over what's essentially just a family roast dinner!!

I'll be glad to put it behind us..... gets worse every year

cakedup Mon 18-Dec-17 23:17:37

Sod that.
Christmas cards - I and quite a few people I know have announced over the last few years that we're not doing Christmas cards anymore
Christmas presents - same...quite a lot of the adults I know have agreed not to buy presents for each other. The only presents I have had to buy for this year is my mum, DS, my niece and my work colleagues. I asked my dad if he was ok with me not buying him a present because he doesn't need anything, is impossible to buy for and I don't need to prove my love for him by buying him a present.

So for future, maybe just start cutting down and putting the word out there?

Re money, I save up all my points on my Boots, Tesco clubcard and use them for Christmas time. I also use a website called Topcashback for online purchases and cash in at Christmas, normally make about £60.

rcit Mon 18-Dec-17 23:17:51

Load of bollocks Christmas has become.

It is actually supposed to commemorate Jesus’s birth.

Now it is just this ridiculous set of chores, expectation and crazed consumerism. You cannot even go to the fucking supermarket without hearing some decades old Christmas tune that’s been played so much everyone hates it. I hate Christmas, in fact, I’d like to fucking ban it!

Justmuddlingalong Mon 18-Dec-17 23:21:19

I'll be glad when I can go to the shops or for a pee/poo/shower without the sweaty dread feeling that I'll miss a delivery. The last of my orders is due tomorrow, I will be having a large wine and a merry jig to celebrate.

laudanum Mon 18-Dec-17 23:22:56

Nope.

Cowardlycustard2 Mon 18-Dec-17 23:25:27

Totally agree OP. I feel absolutely sick of the whole thing. Hate this time of year. DC are haemorrhaging money off me at an alarming rate for their school stuff and friends presents, etc. If that’s not bad enough just realised that have totally forgotten a couple of birthdays last week.The miserableness of it all, scraping ice off car in morning, going to work and back in dark, spending lunch break in mad frenzy rushing around overheated shops. DP feckin useless “let me know if I can do anything to help”.....,angry

LittleLights Mon 18-Dec-17 23:29:36

So glad it's not only me.

ruleshelpcontrolthefun Mon 18-Dec-17 23:32:12

Roll on the 26th!

GreenTulips Mon 18-Dec-17 23:33:16

Do you have a box the Christmas tree comes in? Is it empty? Any suitcases lying around empty?

You have a DH and teens - start organising them

DH and teen on cards and shopping - do almost and send them out

Ignore your mother - how rude

Grab a bottle of wine ans run a bath

CalmingBalm Mon 18-Dec-17 23:36:46

The bloody songs, can’t escape them, poor shop assistants, I don’t know how they cope, I would break down if I had to listen to the same crap playing on a loop, it’s all too much, it feels grabby and greedy and as if we all stick our heads in the sand at the amount of packaging, plastic and waste we create at this time of year, I think it’s all become a bit grim and at some point there will have to be a turnaround because this isn’t sustainable, the planet can’t cope with the damage we do on a daily basis and it ramps up to red for danger at this time of year

Roomba Mon 18-Dec-17 23:37:09

I can't wait either. I bloody hate Christmas. So much stress and financial worry.

I literally haven't bought one single present for anyone yet, including my own two children (my 5yo has been whipped up into a Christmas frenzy all month by school and no doubt expects hundreds of gifts from Santa as he's been working so hard to be a good boy)! I have been too broke to buy a thing and have to wait until Thursday until I can even go shopping for them. Even then they'll be disappointed I fear, and they're generally not the most materialistic of kids. And I'm fed up of smug friends telling me how they finished doing it all in September so they can just enjoy the pre Christmas period angry.

After I've sorted an entire Christmas in a single day, I still have to wrap stuff, pack stuff, drive the length of the country, put up with my relatives bonkers behaviour and then drive back hoping my electric hasn't run out while we're away... Christ I'm having palpitations just thinking about it. I just want it all to go away, every Christmas seems a worse and worse disaster over the last few years!

I hate how it's built up into this massive frenzy of consumption and spending. DS';s school have made every bloody activity for weeks Christmas related in some way (Maths = count how many reindeer, literacy = reading a Christmassy story, museum visit has Christmas activities all day... it's too much expectation and places too high a burden on poor people)

LittleLights Mon 18-Dec-17 23:38:29

DH and teens all work stupid hours and are away from home part of the week so it's really just down to me if I actually want anything done on time.

We have ordered pre prepared food from somewhere else this year, I just hope it's all ok as we have never done it before. Just need to collect it all Christmas Eve and cook Christmas Eve (wondering what the catch is as it sounds far to easy and simple)

LittleLights Mon 18-Dec-17 23:40:15

Cook Christmas Day

LittleLights Mon 18-Dec-17 23:41:47

DC just message to say they have taken siblings key so I don't need to wait up.

Guess that's one good thing at least but I still won't properly sleep until I know they are home.

80sMum Mon 18-Dec-17 23:41:58

I too don't buy into all the craziness that surrounds Christmas and am happy when it's over. I am looking forward to the 2nd week of January, when all the madness of Christmas has died down and when we will start noticing that sunset is getting later!

Naughty1205 Mon 18-Dec-17 23:45:28

I agree OP it's just more stress for 1 day! Trying to do everything with very little money, wrapping, crap hidden all over the house, it's been going on for months now and I just want it over and the longer days to start!

Titsywoo Mon 18-Dec-17 23:45:49

It's barely even happening in my house. No decorations inside (although dh out some up outside but I didn't get involved), presents bought online, never send cards. Oh and we're going abroad on Thursday.

CalmingBalm Mon 18-Dec-17 23:46:54

I hear you Roomba, have no money at all to even buy the very minimum and panicking about petrol, rent, electricity etc, sleepless nights of worrying which are not helping, circs have recently changed through no fault of my own and struggling to put food on the table at the moment, would like to go to sleep till 2 January

Nyx1 Mon 18-Dec-17 23:48:12

80s me too!

We dont do xmas any more. Excellent decision. We're not religious so it was just silly consumerism. Nice to ignore it.

Nyx1 Mon 18-Dec-17 23:49:22

Calming, x post
Sorry for your troubles flowers

BulletFox Mon 18-Dec-17 23:50:46

It hasn't really started properly, has it?!

BellaDarkness Mon 18-Dec-17 23:51:58

I like Christmas itself but the run up drives me mad The TV adverts are really getting on my last nerve.

BellaDarkness Mon 18-Dec-17 23:53:00

Calming thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now