Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Contactless transaction when you've no money in acc?

(10 Posts)
NotAChristmasCakePop Mon 18-Dec-17 18:35:22

Does it work if there's no money as it's not taken there and then or is it?

Just musing really as I use it a lot but most of the transactions doesn't show for ages! Easy to lose track of spending...

amusedbush Mon 18-Dec-17 18:43:38

I think they still check the account, it's not like PayPal where you can buy stuff and it takes 3 days for them to ask your bank for it.

I've stopped using contactless entirely because it never comes off my available balance and Royal Bank of Scotland's app doesn't tell you what's pending. More than once I forgot about something and it came off five days later.

ToastyFingers Mon 18-Dec-17 19:25:11

Yup, you can use it when you have no money, providing you hold a bank account that will honour the transaction, and allow you to become overdrawn i.e. a current account, and not a cashcard type basic account. I know someone who does this regularly.

ny20005 Mon 18-Dec-17 19:28:31

Most banks will allow the transaction. If it debits & takes them into unplanned overdraft, they'll probably be charged

usedtogotomars Mon 18-Dec-17 19:29:21

Halifax is really good and takes it off straightaway, if that helps.

NotAChristmasCakePop Mon 18-Dec-17 20:14:59

I think my resolution for 2018 is to put my card in and do it properly/use cash!

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Mon 18-Dec-17 20:40:27

If it's a small enough transaction, it doesn't matter if you pay by contactless or chip and PIN. The transaction is honoured by the bank because the machine (or maybe the retailer - I forget the complexities!) doesn't actually ask for an account check. That's why if you make lots of small transactions with no money in your account you could find them all approved taking you into an unauthorised lending position. If you have an Electron card this won't happen.

I work for a retail bank and spent 6 years in complaints so I had to know a lot about it!

NotAChristmasCakePop Mon 18-Dec-17 20:47:38

I use mine here there and everywhere for small amounts but it all adds up. Need to sort myself out!

Bubblebubblepop Mon 18-Dec-17 20:49:07

No, I had mine rejected a few days ago after getting carried away and it had only just ran out of cash

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Mon 18-Dec-17 23:04:48

Then the shop checked your balance. It doesn't hold true for every single transaction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now