Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

5.5 year age gap

(22 Posts)
Needmorewine Mon 18-Dec-17 18:32:47

Just found out am pregnant with number 2, it's been a long wait so I am ecstatic. DD will be 5.5, the vast majority of friend and family have 18 month - 3 year gap which definitely has lots of pluses.

Anyone care to share their lovely tales of having two children with a slightly bigger age gap ?

amusedbush Mon 18-Dec-17 18:40:42

There are six years between my brother and I - no other siblings.

I can't tell you it was easy when we were younger (my parents really struggled to entertain two kids of such different ages. He took all of the attention as a toddler, then he was an annoying kid when I was a teenager, then he was a teenager and I moved out!) but we're really close now. He's 21 and much more fun than he was as a kid grin

I love that he comes to me for advice and he confides in me. He is just starting out in his career and still lives at home while I live on the other side of the country, I'm married and in a different place in my life. I love pretending to pass down wisdom grin

LuchiMangsho Mon 18-Dec-17 18:45:25

5 years here. Absolutely brilliant. DS adores him. Absolutely adores him. It helps that DS1 is a sweet sort while DS2 is a mini thug. Actually DS2 adores his big brother. His face just lights up when he sees him in the morning. He's in school so mat leave wasn't too stressful. DS2 does come along for all of DS1's stuff. We have a routine already. DS1 was never ever jealous and had his own life/friends/routine. It melts my heart when I see them giggling together.

Alannahpickaver Mon 18-Dec-17 18:45:51

I have a 7 year old and a 7 month old, they are amazing together. It has really helped having an older sibling, she changes the odd nappy. She entertains him while shopping etc. She dotes on him and he is obsessed with her.
The only real problem we have had is me, it is a bit of shock to go from an child we is become a little independent to another who needs everything again.
I really wanted a smaller age gap, however having a bigger one defiantly has it's advantages.

thepatchworkcat Mon 18-Dec-17 18:46:33

I’m also pregnant with number 2 and will have that exact age gap!

LuchiMangsho Mon 18-Dec-17 18:47:32

This is from a few mornings ago. He's reading his baby brother a story while i get an extra 10 mins in bed. Win win!

Sandsnake Mon 18-Dec-17 18:51:30

That's super cute Luchi. What lovely boys you have!

Needmorewine Mon 18-Dec-17 18:57:14

luchi that picture ❤️ What gorgeous boys

RainbowDashed Mon 18-Dec-17 18:59:54

Mine are just over 5 years apart.

DD1 was old enough to understand about babies being hard work and was really kind and helpful when dd2 arrived.

I will only ever have one child sitting major exams at a time. It's likely that they won't be at university at the same time if they both go. Hopefully by the time dd2 does teenage strops and hormones dd1 will have grown out of it grin

Currently they are 13 and 8. They get along just fine but finding activities they both enjoy is tricky at times. Dd1 has grown out of playgrounds and toys but dd2 hates wandering round shops and YouTube stars.

Dd2 adores her big sister. Dd1 pretends her little sister is a PITA but loves her to bits really.

Stiddleficks Mon 18-Dec-17 19:03:35

5yrs between my 2 girls, it’s been great as the oldest is in school so I got quality baby time too. She adores her ds so helped out loads with fetching things and at 6 she knew how to make bottles with the prep machine (although I never let her do it unattended). Now the youngest is 2 they play together and I can get lots done while she entertains the little one. She thought the best thing about having a baby was being able to feed her and for a while the baby wouldn’t eat unless her ds was the one spoon feeding her.

TeaAddict235 Mon 18-Dec-17 19:08:01

luchi that picture is golden!! You could totally sell the 'larger' age gap thing with that, "your older one will read the younger one a story, thus giving you the extra 10 minutes in bed every Saturday morning!"

And if your DC1 wants to do the same at ours, send him over!

LuchiMangsho Mon 18-Dec-17 19:10:05

6 months into DS2, (you can't tell now but he was extremely premature, weighed under a kilo at birth and spent 69 days in NICU), when he had been home for nearly 4 months, DS1 told me, 'babies are really hard work, aren't they Mummy?' 🤣🤣🤣
They are mostly cute and occasionally a pain. Today at one point both were crying. One because he keeps crawling backwards and getting further away from where he wants to and the other because he forgot to mention in his letter to Santa that he's going to my sister's house for Xmas...and waaaaaaaahhhhh.
Gin and tonic anyone?!

teabagsmummy Mon 18-Dec-17 19:11:42

I have a 10.5year age gap and it's fab both my boys adore each other

teabagsmummy Mon 18-Dec-17 19:14:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NaturWilde Mon 18-Dec-17 19:18:27

6.5 years. Older DC absolutely adores the baby. For so many reasons, it’s a lovely age gap!

Nuffaluff Mon 18-Dec-17 19:26:07

4.5 year gap between two little boys here. It's been wonderful. Youngest is three now.
They are the best of friends, eldest is very caring to the youngest. Big boy does tease the little one sometimes, but he's very good at sticking up for himself.
They have a wonderful relationship - there was no jealousy when Little one was born.
Also, the eldest teaches the youngest one stuff like counting- that's a bonus!

teabagsmummy Mon 18-Dec-17 19:34:09

Big congratulations op

kelly14 Mon 18-Dec-17 19:39:27

I will have a 13 year gap when baby arrives. Baby due march and daughter will turn 13 a couple of days after my due date. Long awaited for baby, daughter ecstatic and I can’t wait. Feels like a first pregnancy all over again though !

cookie75 Mon 18-Dec-17 19:51:36

I have a 19 year old. 16 year old & a 5 year old.

Needmorewine Mon 18-Dec-17 19:58:02

These are the most heartwarming stories everybody thank you so much. I am terribly excited now I think DD will be a really lovely big sister we want her to be as involved as possible. When did you tell your older ones they were going to be a big brother / sister? I'm thinking after 3 months scan all going well but DH wants to wait until after 5 month scan . I can't wait to tell her but at the same time if anything happened i would then blame
Myself for telling her too early. Feels like an age away I was pregnant with her. I can't stop shaking this evening !!

Thingywhatsit Mon 18-Dec-17 20:01:22

11.5 age gap here - am a single parent too.

They adore each other, and eldest is very good with the youngest. My main difficulty is tending to their needs as they are at such different stages in life. So dd needs to be in bed by 7, but ds often needs picking up from some activity at 9.30. Or just attending parents evening/school meetings can require calling in favours and military precision. Throw in me now working full time (am out the house 7.30am -6pm) and organising lifts etc can be a nightmare.

And family days out are ultra rare - as finding an activity they both want to do (and that I can afford) is almost impossible. Teen isn't that bothered about spending time with his embarrassing mum so it's win win to him!

Bluelonerose Mon 18-Dec-17 20:06:16

It's great because you only have one in nappies etc.
I also find the school run is better for you coz you tend to be a bit more organised.

The downside is you'll forget what newborns are like. Congratulations and good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now