Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Selling off council houses

(45 Posts)
buckingfrolicks Mon 18-Dec-17 15:19:25

Remember when the Conservatives sold the council housing stock back in the 80?

It makes me rage even 30 plus years later.

Am I alone in this?

FannyWisdom Mon 18-Dec-17 15:20:49

Yeah shush its Christmas.

x2boys Mon 18-Dec-17 15:22:25

Remember when labour were in power for 13 years and did nothing to improve the situation? But actually they havent sold all the stock and depending inn where you live in the country its not always that hard to get a house.

MotherOfMinions Mon 18-Dec-17 15:24:02

No. I thought it was a bad idea then. Even if the government start building enough to replace them now, it will take over a decade to put things right. So that's over 20 years of misery for hundreds of thousands because of a badly thought out policy

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 18-Dec-17 15:25:44

Yes, it's just you. No one else gives a fuck. hmm

confusedhelpme Mon 18-Dec-17 15:27:25

Yes ... my uncle bought their house for 10% of what it's worth. They are massively quids in now 👍🏼

JoJoSM2 Mon 18-Dec-17 15:27:27

It's great council tenants got to buy discounted properties.

AgentProvocateur Mon 18-Dec-17 15:39:01

I agree with you, OP. It was the wrong thing to do.

RunningOutOfCharge Mon 18-Dec-17 15:43:29

It's just you op

HA are going to sell me this one we are on.... should I not buy it then?

RunningOutOfCharge Mon 18-Dec-17 15:43:42

*in!!!

Battleax Mon 18-Dec-17 15:47:01

Yeah shush its Christmas.

grin

specialsubject Mon 18-Dec-17 15:51:03

Well, yes, but who would be altruistic to refuse a heavily discounted house?

We've had opportunities for change but it means paying more tax. Guaranteed vote loser as proved again this year.

Bombardier25966 Mon 18-Dec-17 15:57:13

Well, yes, but who would be altruistic to refuse a heavily discounted house?

Many people would. Just because something is offered to you, it doesn't mean you have to take it, and I won't take something I don't need.

(I don't see it as altruism, but more that I couldn't deal with the guilt of seeing people homeless in the knowledge that I contributed to their misery.)

@x2boys, it would be helpful if you could let us know the areas that have a ready supply of social housing.

Floellabumbags Mon 18-Dec-17 15:58:34

HA are going to sell me this one we are on.... should I not buy it then?

No you shouldn't.

DixieNormas Mon 18-Dec-17 16:11:34

I'd buy mine if I could afford to

x2boys Mon 18-Dec-17 16:18:13

Try the northwest of England Bombardier it took a few months to get my house a couple of years ago we had no priority either .

ConfusedLivingDoll Mon 18-Dec-17 16:21:09

DP didn't buy his when he had a chance, although he could have. Not everyone does. It was wrong IMO, especially not enough were built to replace.

x2boys Mon 18-Dec-17 16:23:26

I wouldnt buy mine unless I could buy it outright and that's not going to happen unless. we come into some money but I have had a mortgage and right now its easier to rent .

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Mon 18-Dec-17 16:23:37

It still makes me angry 30 years later too!

TheIntrovertedMum Mon 18-Dec-17 16:24:04

Awk wind your neck in! Why would you not want people to own their own homes, far better than living in a property owned by someone else.

Yes there is a housing crisis but I think you need to get over what happened. If I was living in a council house and got offered it at a discounted price I would jump at it.

Where I live they are building loads of new council owned houses and no new builds for people actually wanting to own their own home, so it's a two way street!!

PollyBanana Mon 18-Dec-17 16:25:09

Council housing is to ensure that everyone has somewhere to live, not that everyone has somewhere to "own"

Speakingmymind Mon 18-Dec-17 16:27:56

Labour were on power for 13 years and in this time they did... Err.... Sod all to make things better.

Stop bitching about the Conservatives. Labour drove this country into the ground years ago and now we all suffer for it.

Gammeldragz Mon 18-Dec-17 16:28:12

I think the policy would have been fine if they had built more to make up for it. But yes, as it stands, it makes me very angry (despite my parents buying their council flat years ago). Many of our local ones are being resold for £200k+ which seems insane, especially as they are bought by BTL landlords who rent them back to the poor for inflated rents.

Timeforanamochango Mon 18-Dec-17 16:31:41

It angers me! I used to work in Housing in an underfunded area with an extreme shortage, we were leaving people in dire conditions and on the streets or b&bs because we honestly had nowhere to put them and at the same time my manager who earnt a heafty salary was buying her Council house at a £70k reduction with the plan of making money on it.

It’s fucked up. What worry’s me more is that the people doing this and buying them are the people who would’ve been moaning we couldn’t house them soon enough etc only a few years earlier. So you’d think morally they’d know that buying their house is contributing to issues that they have faced directly themselves.

I really don’t believe it will ever change though, it is now seen as a ‘right’ by many that will go unchallenged for fear of backlash.

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 18-Dec-17 16:38:19

4 out of 10 ex council houses are now in the hands of private landlords.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now