Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Practicalities of not being registered with a GP practice?

(56 Posts)
ZerbaPadnaTigre Mon 18-Dec-17 13:24:12

I don't want to be registered with a GP anymore basically because I waste GP appointments and I need it to be more difficult to see a doctor for the sake of my mental health.

Has anybody deregistered without transferring to a new practice? How easy was it? I've never seen a GP for a genuine reason and I don't plan on starting (I tend towards sticking my head in the sand and hoping for the best if I think I'm actually ill) but can you register as a temporary patient at a practice that you live near?

I know the other option would be to see a private GP but I guess you have to register with them too and I don't want that. I think the only thing that'll stop me wasting appointments is it being a total hassle to make one.

ZerbaPadnaTigre Mon 18-Dec-17 13:26:47

And when people say that prescription items cost the NHS £X? That's just when somebody picks up the actual prescription, right? There's no cost beyond the GP appointment if a prescription goes in the bin? Probably a stupid question.

Callamia Mon 18-Dec-17 13:27:41

What will the alternative be?
Will you transfer to go to A&E instead? I’m sorry that you feel like this is your best solution - it seems unnecessarily hard on you in case you are really ill.

Have you talked about your options with your GP? There must be an alternative that doesn’t put you at potential risk?

LookImAHooman Mon 18-Dec-17 13:28:59

Well, if it goes in the bin, it’s the same effect as it being dispensed in that sense confused

EssentialHummus Mon 18-Dec-17 13:29:05

OP what’s the background here? Are you a hypochondriac?

LookImAHooman Mon 18-Dec-17 13:29:42

I do think, ironically, that you’re best discussing this with an HCP as it’s an active MH issue. flowers

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 18-Dec-17 13:32:50

I don't think you should dereg. I think you should go and see your doctor and tell them what you have told us, and get some help from them.

LookImAHooman Mon 18-Dec-17 13:33:22

Just clicked that you probably mean putting the paper script in the bin and not the pharmacy putting an uncollected medication in the bin...

NeilTheSloth Mon 18-Dec-17 13:33:46

How are you “wasting” appointments? Do you mean you have health anxiety? If so you need treatment for that.

I don’t think it’s wise to degresiter from a GP, especially if it because you have health anxiety or a compulsion to make appointments, that needs treatment in itself.

ZerbaPadnaTigre Mon 18-Dec-17 13:33:52

i won't go to A&E. I don't like hospitals.

Well, if it goes in the bin, it’s the same effect as it being dispensed in that sense confused

I mean the actual paper rather than the item, sorry.

specialsubject Mon 18-Dec-17 13:35:46

You need to get mental health help. If you have dependents, you need it very fast.

Cavender Mon 18-Dec-17 13:38:15

If a doctor writes you a prescription and then you bin it without having it filled there’s no charge but there is a cost to the doctor’s time (even though you aren’t billed for it)

Using an appointment slot you don’t need also prevents someone else getting one who needs it of course.

Deregistering from your practice seems drastic when clearly you do have health issues.

I agree with Look you need to discuss this with your mental health team and see if there’s something else that can be done to gatekeep your appointments.

silentsigh Mon 18-Dec-17 13:48:14

I definitely don't think you should deregister because if you then get a genuine health problem, you won't be able to get an appointment straight away. Also you never know whether the practice you're at now might beomce full/change its catchment area.

It would be better to get the advice of your current GP and explain what's going on. You won't be the first patient who has this problem and they'll be able to help you. For example they could put a note on your file so that when you ring for an appointment you can't get one without speaking to a nurse/doctor first. And if it's health anxiety then you could be referred for CBT or another type of therapy.

ZerbaPadnaTigre Mon 18-Dec-17 13:51:18

It's my mental health that wastes the most time because I ask for help and then I don't follow anything through. It's been going on for years (I'm not talking every week but like half a dozen appointments a year for five years or so) and it just makes me feel worse because I'm wasting everybody's time. Mental health services are self-referral in my area anyway so I don't even need to be seeing a GP about it.

To be fair, the prescription I've binned is for a skin condition that I do genuinely have. I didn't know it was something stupidly expensive she was prescribing until I was there and she told me. Not like I could cancel an appointment I was sitting in so the best I can do is not pick it up.

ZerbaPadnaTigre Mon 18-Dec-17 13:53:50

I've not explained that clearly. The time wasting part comes in because I didn't make the appointment to discuss my skin condition. I just fall back on it when I'm anxious because it's something that's definitely real.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Mon 18-Dec-17 14:02:41

Please don't deregister - your GP is your "primary carer", the healthcare professional who holds a complete overview of your health issues, physical and mental. This is important because sooner or later all of us will have physical health problems and medications which may interact with other conditions (again physical or mental), and that overview may be essential.

Attending your GP with mental health issues is not a waste of time, although it will be more productive if you seek reassurance by saying "I've come to discuss my anxiety" rather than defaulting to a skin problem because you feel that is what they want to deal with!

Above all I would make an appointment to discuss de registering, and just tell them what you have said here - I think they will urge you to reconsider, and discuss how to use their service more effectively instead.

ZerbaPadnaTigre Mon 18-Dec-17 14:24:41

There's really nothing of any significance in my GP records. I'm not saying I won't see a doctor if I need to but as it stands, I've been lucky enough to never be ill but still seeing a GP every couple of months. I just want to make it difficult for me to do that.

I'm definitely not going to be wasting an appointment to discuss wasting appointments grin

befairdontjudge Mon 18-Dec-17 14:28:05

I deregistered. I would never register again. There is a complete lack of transparency in what you are signing up for. You do not consent when you fill out a GMS1 to sign up the GMS Contract. I am sick of being chased for screening, health checks, qof, cqrs etc that I never agreed to take part in. You can still be seen as an Emergency Patient, Immediate and Necessary patient or Temporary Resident. GPs hate it as they receive no extra payments for these types of registered patient. I am afraid that is just tough. The NHS do not have the courtesy to full consent patients when they sign up to the GMS Contract so it is tough I will register in a way that I am comfortable with and that stops being hounded by GP Contract nonsense.

befairdontjudge Mon 18-Dec-17 14:34:07

Yes you can register as a Temporary Resident and refuse to register permanently. There is NO legal requirement to register with a GP.

specialsubject Mon 18-Dec-17 14:41:35

Free at point of use healthcare is so awful, isn't it?

The op has mental health issues and isn't thinking straight.

Chaosofcalm Mon 18-Dec-17 14:41:39

I was refused treatment for a miscarriage at hospital because I was not registered with a GP as I had just moved house.

ZerbaPadnaTigre Mon 18-Dec-17 15:31:29

Free at the point of use healthcare would be better if there were less people taking appointments they don't need.

befairdontjudge Was it easy to deregister? It's a hassle to opt out of smear test reminders (I'm not old enough to get hassled about anything else) around here with having to sign disclaimers and post them to some central office but touch wood, they haven't bothered me about it since.

That's awful Chaos. I thought A&Es were meant to treat everybody.

Hidingtonothing Mon 18-Dec-17 16:13:03

I don't think it would be a waste of a GP appointment to go and discuss this OP, not at all. It's almost a form of health anxiety (in a slightly round about way) from what you describe, which is treatable and is certainly something the surgery could help you manage. Go and talk to them, I'm sure they'd rather work with you than have you leave yourself with restricted health care options.

befairdontjudge Mon 18-Dec-17 16:26:05

Yes it is easy to deregister write to the Practice Manager and ask them to deregister you. No one should be denied NHS care if you are registered with a GP. There is no legal requirement to register with a GP.

MrsZB Mon 18-Dec-17 17:03:27

I saw a private GP over the summer and you don't have to register. It was £75 though for a same day appointment so not cheap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now