Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Vegetarian Christmas Main Course Ideas

(83 Posts)
thefutureisours Mon 18-Dec-17 12:40:00

I'm doing Christmas dinner this year and struggling for a simple veggie main for the one vegetarian coming. She doesn't like mushrooms so they are out. I don't usually cook veggie so I'm a bit stumped. Hoping someone on here might have some bright ideas!

Fink Mon 18-Dec-17 12:42:07

Are you planning on doing a roast dinner for everyone and substituting the turkey with something else for her? Or a complete vegetarian dinner?

AndhowcouldIeverrefuse Mon 18-Dec-17 12:46:47

Watching with interest as i am in a similar situation. I cook veggie often but nothing showy enough for the Christmas table. I want to avoid the whole meat substitute thing and it needs to be nut-free, too fgrin

I will try a pastry sheet with feta, butternut squash and roasted pumpkin seeds. Perhaps on a red onion base? Maybe with pesto or rocket on top to cut through the richness of the cheese?

I would like to try a banitsa (spelling?) - Bulgarian Christmas eve dish - filo pastry stuffed with feta and courgette. But the though of having to deal with filo pastry on top of Christmas dinner and MIL is just too much.

MikeUniformMike Mon 18-Dec-17 12:48:33

Vegetarian pie from supermarket? Pieminister and Higgidy ones are very good. They make other pies too so check if they are vegetarian.
There are other pies too - Quorn, supermarket own brand etc.

Other suggestions are nut roast, roasted root veg, a vegetable/lentil bake etc.

Keep some of the veg and trimmings vegetarian. For example, you could roast potatoes in oil, make vegetarian stuffing.

Bringbeboback Mon 18-Dec-17 12:50:07

A stuffed butternut squash with feta or goats cheese and roast veggies. Don’t do anything with Parmesan as that’s not vegetarian.
And then she can have the roast potatoes etc (as long as not cooked in animal fat) and veg.

Mooey89 Mon 18-Dec-17 12:53:35

Veggie here!
We have nut roast, but I’ve also in the past had some kind of M&S filo tart, you can also get quorn ‘roast’ (personally I think it’s rank but my dad who’s also a veggie likes it and says it’s like turkey - I’ve never had turkey so wouldn’t know!)

thefutureisours Mon 18-Dec-17 13:20:16

I am going to try and do something that can go alongside the usual trimmings as think that's the best option. Roasties will be done in butter and oil so no problem there. I did a shallot and goats cheese tart tatain previously which went down very well but I want to make something different this time. Not keen on any meat substitutes.

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 18-Dec-17 13:24:50

Personally I don't think that goats cheese, feta etc go with the accompaniments to a Christmas dinner. Feta with gravy would be unpleasant to me. I would normally do something like a nut roast, or a chestnut Wellington or similar.

Be3Al2SiO36 Mon 18-Dec-17 13:28:23

Savoury pastry and caramelised red onion marmalade with a round of goats cheese melted in on thyme, brush with oil and spring of thyme on top dipped in oil.

Noeuf Mon 18-Dec-17 13:29:42

Linda McCartney roast. Really nice and fits with everything else.

Mookatron Mon 18-Dec-17 13:30:11

Had a v tasty M&S nut roast with cranberries at someone's house recently, or the hairy bikers nut roast is delicious (leave out the mushroom gravy!) www.redonline.co.uk//food/recipes/hairy-bikers-spinach-nut-roast-with-wild-mushroom-gravy

I will put gravy and have roasties with anything, even feta. Yum.

MikeUniformMike Mon 18-Dec-17 13:31:52

I would say no to goat's cheese or feta too. I don't particularly like them.
A lot of cheese is vegetarian these days. Goat's cheese and feta are not the tastiest of cheeses and don't go with Christmas dinner.

MikeUniformMike Mon 18-Dec-17 13:32:59

Mmmm. Roast potatoes. Sigh!

BellBookandCandle Mon 18-Dec-17 18:48:21

M&S have a Butternut Squash and Pecan nut roast that comes with a red wine and rosemary jus/gravy.

We had one the other week, it's really lovely and goes with Xmas extras better than something pastry based.

I also make pigs in blankets using quorn sausages (brown them off first) and wrap in quorn bacon and cook in the oven for 15-20 mins.

WorldPeasAndSweetcorn Mon 18-Dec-17 18:49:43

Seitan roast? Seitan wellington?

SpartonDregs Mon 18-Dec-17 18:49:49

Linda McCartney cheese and leek plaits.

MikeUniformMike Mon 18-Dec-17 18:50:07

Can I come to yours please Bell? Only joking but it sounds wonderful.

BellBookandCandle Mon 18-Dec-17 18:51:51

All welcome MUM for a veggie Christmas chez* Bell*🎅🏼

MikeUniformMike Mon 18-Dec-17 18:57:44

Thanks.

ElfOneself Mon 18-Dec-17 18:58:37

blatent place mark
I always struggle with this, and what to have when the meat eaters are having something like Pie, mash and gravy.
I just end up having the side bits and gravy. Im such a shit vegetarian as i don't like nuts or goats cheese.

This is a favourite of mine. It goes well (quite stuffingy) with turkey and is loved by both meat eaters and veggies.

As it is cooked from frozen I usually make two at a time and just cook one on Xmas day having prepped it weeks before.

www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/recipes/white-nut-roast

pallisers Mon 18-Dec-17 19:01:49

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/whole-roasted-cauliflower/

I'm catering for a vegan for a dinner where we are having lots of veg, roast potatoes, and meat - doing this cauliflower as a meat alternative. I think most of the non vegans will want some too.

Picasso31 Mon 18-Dec-17 19:39:53

Delia Smith parsnip and sage derby roulade. Christmas on a plate. Fabulous for leftovers sliced thinly on a turkey and cranberry sauce sarnie for the meat eaters

LizzieSiddal Mon 18-Dec-17 19:43:18

Dd is veggie and she's having the M & S Butternut squash and Pravin nut roast too, and that will go alongside everything else (apart from the turkey obviously).

CakeNinja Mon 18-Dec-17 19:49:54

Dps stepmum is vegetarian, when she comes for Christmas dinner, he makes her a sort of roasted pepper Wellington, she loves it! He does a couple and she has one to take home too. And does her a veggie gravy too as the one to go with the beef is obviously not vegetarian.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now