Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you put a 3yo in the front seat?

(39 Posts)
JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Mon 18-Dec-17 10:21:27

DD is 2y11m and we are expecting twins in the new year. We have an ordinary family car - Toyota Corolla - and it cannot fit 3 car seats in back. Buying another car is not an option financially right now.

We are thinking of disabling front passenger-side airbag and putting DD's rearfacing car seat there.

But is it safe? In a crash would she be more at risk? Has anyone done this? Any advice appreciated!

welshweasel Mon 18-Dec-17 10:23:11

Yes we’ve done it. It’s very safe - as you say, disable the airbag and push the seat right back. It’s very normal to put a rear facing child in the front in many Scandinavian countries.

HarassedElf Mon 18-Dec-17 10:26:30

I haven't, but I've never needed to. DH has when he had to transport DS and something that needed the back seats down. I don't think its unsafe as such, just that the middle of the car is safer. If that makes sense.

idontlikealdi Mon 18-Dec-17 11:33:56

Can you disable the airbag? We can't in our car.

321namechange Mon 18-Dec-17 11:39:32

Check if you also have side airbags.

TheKitchenWitch Mon 18-Dec-17 11:40:08

Yes, I did this. Now have front-facing and he's still often in the front (with airbag on obviously) because he is a houdini at getting out of his seatbelt.

Sirzy Mon 18-Dec-17 11:42:06

If you can’t fit 3 seats in would the other adult be able to comfortably fit in the middle though?

frenchfancy Mon 18-Dec-17 11:43:53

I wouldn't. In France it is illegal to put Under 10's in the front seat because of an increased risk. Are you sure you can't fit 3 car seats in the back. I have a verso which is about the same size as a corolla and I can fit 3.

ZigZagandDustin Mon 18-Dec-17 11:46:19

I always put the baby in the front seat as that's the one most likely to cause me dangerous stress levels if he/she kicks off and I can't see them.

Make your own decisions about risk and needs.

Nightfall1983 Mon 18-Dec-17 11:46:25

Rear-facing with the airbags disabled it could be argued that it ka safer in the front - the front half of the car is the most protected.

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Mon 18-Dec-17 11:50:42

Aldi yes we can disable airbags - well according to the manual!

French - really? Hmm may have to recheck. But am still worried about toddler DD in back with newborn twins when I can't get to them. What if she playfully puts her hand over their airways or pokes them in the eye or something?!

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Mon 18-Dec-17 11:52:09

Zigzag I am making my own decision thanks, just looking for experiences. Nothing wrong with that.

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Mon 18-Dec-17 11:52:41

Zigzag I am making my own decision thanks, just looking for experiences. Nothing wrong with that.

museumum Mon 18-Dec-17 11:52:52

I'd put a baby in the front and one in the back with DD.

Jigglytuff Mon 18-Dec-17 11:54:09

@frenchfancy - that’s not true. Children can travel in the front passenger seat if they’re in a child seat.

I always mad my baby in the front rear facing.

ZigZagandDustin Mon 18-Dec-17 11:55:59

Sorry, didn't mean it like that OP. Just was aware that you'll likely get the 'you're an irresponsible parent and will kill your child with your tolerance of risk' crowd shortly and was rushing writing so it came across wrong.

yippyyappy Mon 18-Dec-17 12:00:07

No. It's not legal where I live. People either buy smaller seats so can fit 3 across or a bigger car.

I wouldn't dream of it even if it was legal, look at the statistics.

upsiedayz Mon 18-Dec-17 12:05:16

I thought that rear facing in the front was pretty safe but I could be wrong?

nextstopChristmas Mon 18-Dec-17 12:05:25

Put one of the baby seats in the front - (with airbag off) as that is safer - then toddler behind passenger, baby behind you - middle seat free.

Neapolitanpink Mon 18-Dec-17 12:08:26

Are smaller seats always as safe though? (I have no idea but I'm wondering if a really good seat in the front with airbags off would be safer than 3 smaller seats in the back).
Stress can also be a distraction when driving so I'd probably go for a superdooper seat in the front and 2 good seats in the back.
I ended up doing it this way when DC1 had just turned 4 and DC3 arrived. Partly because she go car sick and it stopped in the front and also because we couldn't afford a new car. The only booster that would fit between the toddler seats was the trunkie back pack booster which is backless and out of date now anyway.

welshweasel Mon 18-Dec-17 12:14:08

Rear facing in the front with airbag switched off is as safe as rear facing in the back. Forward facing in the front is not as safe as forward facing in the back.

By keeping your child rear facing you are already making a hugely important choice for your child’s safety. You child is already 5 times less likely to die or be seriously injured than if you had them forward facing.

And yes you can usually fit an adult in the middle seat between two car seats with no issues.

welshweasel Mon 18-Dec-17 12:18:35

www.carseat.se/rearfacing/position-in-vehicle/front-seat-safety/

The references are in Swedish but google translate makes them fairly understandable.

ZigZagandDustin Mon 18-Dec-17 12:21:36

Oh there we go Yippyyappy. What do you suggest I do with my 4th child? Buy a 7 seater? No wait! Rear seats in a 7 seater are less safe than rear facing in the front.

Competitive risk adversity is a real thing on mumsnet.

moobeana Mon 18-Dec-17 12:23:08

This exact scenario happened to a friend only her first child was only just 2. She got a MultiMac fitted in the back if her car. It has meant for he past 5 years all her children have had safe car seats in the back and space in the front for both her and partner. All in a golf!

Research them and see what you think. MultiMac.

ZigZagandDustin Mon 18-Dec-17 12:24:32

And I always think it's amazing the condemnation on these threads regarding (perfectly legal and tested) seats not in the ideal ideal marginally perfect style and location and then you've all these parents who would never think of doing a few extra driving lessons before a baby, especially considering how badly so many people drive with their kids in the perfect seat in the back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now