Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Question about Year 2 SATS/lack of info from school

(18 Posts)
LaContessaDiPlump Mon 18-Dec-17 10:16:53

DS21 is in Year 2. A teacher friend (primary school) mentioned at the weekend that we must be preparing for SATS. I innocently asked if DS2 would do SATS (I wasn't aware of any such thing) and her face dropped. She couldn't believe I was unaware of this confused

I am completely sure the teacher mentioned nothing at parents evening, there has been no letter/email from school and we've had no communication at all about practice papers or anything like that.

I'm sure my friend is right about these exams happening, so I probably need to ask DS1's teacher about it. My question is, is it normal for parents/kids to be unaware of SATS at this stage? Do I need to be asking some pressing questions? My friend says she used to do parent info evenings and distribute info WAY before this point. She is a current teacher too so up to date with how things work.

Advice would be appreciated!

FJCE83 Mon 18-Dec-17 10:27:17

Our school have made us aware they will be sitting them but we have an official meeting about it in January. I’d ask the teacher, hopefully there will be more information coming your way soon.

WindyWednesday Mon 18-Dec-17 10:34:21

Were you made aware of the phonics test in yr1. I didn’t know anything about it. The class didn’t have good results, was only aware of flustered behaviour at the end of term when parents were told the children had failed the test.

Anyway. Yr2 now and no mention of sats. But DC said they had a test last week. So I think they are preparing. No parent info yet.

Finola1step Mon 18-Dec-17 10:39:40

Schools tend to down play Year 2 Sats to parents IME. They were mentioned at our "Meet the new teacher" session in July but not a word since. Quite right too.

There is no need to prepare for them as a parent. Just do the reading and homework given. That's enough.

They are being scrapped anyway in a few years.

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 18-Dec-17 10:43:45

I don't know, Finola. Teacher friend has her head firmly screwed on and said that doing badly at SATS impacts on setting and (depending on child) impacts on how much help and support they get moving onwards. i.e. a very capable child could be left to coast and never do as well as they are capable of, because of early poor performance.

She was very complimentary about my kids (who she's known since birth) but also adamant that I needed to get DS1 practising as his SPAG is poor. No idea what that means but it sounds worrying...

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 18-Dec-17 10:44:19

Also it doesn't help that they are being scrapped in a few years if he is expected to do it his year!!

Twofishfingers Mon 18-Dec-17 10:46:17

That's a good thing. Children shouldn't be stressed out over this. At my school, children never did any practice paper for y2 sats, no extra homework, no stress. It was seen as a 'game' that they had to keep secret as not all the children were doing it at the same time, so they were asked not to talk about the questions with others until the last day.

SATS are there to evaluate the teaching, not the performance of the children individually. If the teachers have done a good job in Rec, y1 and y2 there is absolutely no need to put extra pressure on the parents and children over this.

MaroonPencil Mon 18-Dec-17 10:47:00

I actually think it is good when a school doesn't get parents and children wound up about SATs. When it comes down to it, it's supposed to be a test to show how the child is doing with the teaching they have received not something to spend ages preparing for. Especially in Year 2.

We didn't know when either of ours were taking the SATs in Y2, and I am pleased about that. Nor did we know the results.

marzipananimal Mon 18-Dec-17 10:49:05

My dc is in year 2. Nothing at all has been said about SATs so far and I’m glad of it!

AppleTrayBake Mon 18-Dec-17 10:51:34

Your teacher friend sounds annoying and like she is trying to panic you for some unknown reason.

The only info we usually give is not to worry about it confused

The results will have no bearing on your child's life, the exams are to assess the school.

Sirzy Mon 18-Dec-17 10:51:51

I would rather send a child to a School who are sensible and downplay the ks2 SATs than one with a teacher like your friend who puts pressure on the parents and children!

LordSugarWillSeeYouNow Mon 18-Dec-17 10:52:08

Hi op, my dd is also in year 2 and we have had 2 meetings about the sats.

Our class teacher was adamant that there is to be no pressure put on the children and they won't really know they're doing them
as they can be disguised as fun games and "tests" which could have anyway without the need to mention the word sats.

They are already practising their high frequency words etc and the parents have been given a copy, homework has been increased and a lot of emphasis on short bursts of reading every night aswell as spelling test every Friday.

This is a small primary in a deprived area. Results are definitely below average and our last ofsted was poor so the school are doing all they can in my opinion to get better results.

Teacher recommended that parents buy 3 year 2 sats prep books, Maths, English and Science and do them little and often.

Iirc it's the second week in May.

Springersprung Mon 18-Dec-17 10:53:48

SPAG is spelling and grammar. In year 2, yes children sit SATs exams, but at the end of the day, a lot comes down to teacher judgement. So an academically able child who does badly in the tests, for whatever reason, can still be given a result that reflects their ability.

In my experience, very few schools set by ability, and those that do, the setting is not in stone for ever and ever after that point. It will be reviewed as children progress.

I'm a teacher and taught y2 last year.

lovelyjubilly Mon 18-Dec-17 10:55:59

I'm a teacher and also have a dd in Y2 at a different school. There has been no mention of SATS at my dd's school which I am absolutely delighted about. The school seem to be focusing on teaching the children what they need to learn in order to progress without getting anyone into a tizzy about it. The correct approach I feel.

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 18-Dec-17 10:59:59

Our school sets from Year 3 onwards apparently, which does concern me a bit (although one hopes the teacher would guess at additional ability in an under-set child).

Teacher friend is not annoying! She is a very sensible type. She does have a history of working in schools that are struggling or trying to get outof special measures, so maybe that influences her outlook.

AmethystRaven Mon 18-Dec-17 11:00:27

Our school basically tells the parents not to worry about them and they refuse to tell us exactly when they are, they just say May. They keep it very low key.

Liz38 Mon 18-Dec-17 11:15:55

DD is y3 so did SATs last year. Her teacher called them "secret SATs" because the kids didn't know anything about them. School ran a meeting earlier in the year and I had a bit of a rant at then because it was at 2.30 which seems to assume that if you work you don't want to go to school meetings...? However, it was all fine. They were told they'd done them a week after when they had a film afternoon with popcorn and sweets as a reward for doing so well.

My view was that I don't care how she does in y2 SATs, i know she's bright and achieving well and if the system doesn't bring that out then at 7 I'm not too bothered, just think the system is flawed. I very definitely didn't want her to get anxious about it as she is a real worrier and if they'd been built up as big important exams she'd have been a mess. As it was she wasn't remotely worried. I think Y6 are a bit more important but at this stage I wouldn't be too fussed about their score.

wheresmyphone Mon 18-Dec-17 11:19:03

Do not worry. Very normal. Sounds like your school is being sensible. SATS are to assess schools and not pupils. All my teacher mates say it's the parents who mess things up by getting kids over stressed about them. Count yourself lucky your school is in control and does not need to hype them up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now