Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

DD(6)’s school shoes - WWYD?

(22 Posts)
BikeRunSki Mon 18-Dec-17 09:33:13

DD is 6 and in Y1.
She is very active and plays in the woods and plays football at break times.
When we got her new school shoes at the end of the summer hols we, planned to get ankle boots like she’d had last year, and like DS (although not necessarily the Save style as his). At the very last minute she picked some Mary Jane style shoes and was utterly insistent that these were the shoes for her. Despite a little talk about how they wouldn’t be great for running and climbing and her socks would get wet etc, we bought them. She is pretty single minded.

It turns out - ta da- that actually they’re not great shoes for her. Actually, they are great shoes and have stood up to DD’s abuse of them for a term, but she is not happy about having wet, muddy socks all the time.

Do I give in and get her boots anyway? I feel like she was warned, and went into getting Mary Janes with her eyes wide open. There’s plenty of life left in her shoes, and new shoes is really an expense I could do without right now. But there’s also 3 months left of winter.

MrsWooster Mon 18-Dec-17 09:35:34

Wellies, with fluffy insoles, and she wears them unless it is completely dry and fine and she isn't going off-road.

Justgivemesomepeace Mon 18-Dec-17 09:36:07

If you can afford it get them. Shes 6. She wouldnt understand the consequences properly when she chose the shoes. Don't have her sitting about in cold wet socks to prove a point with such a little girl if you can afford appropriate shoes for her. If you can't then she'll have to wait.

OhforfucksakeFay Mon 18-Dec-17 09:37:53

Yeah just get her wellies or boots to wear for outdoor play. You're the parent - you need to determine what shoes are appropriate. I agree she wouldn't have thought through the consequences.

B0033 Mon 18-Dec-17 09:39:07

I would buy the boots. She may not outgrow the shoes by spring. (Vain hope?)

Autumnsunshinebaby Mon 18-Dec-17 09:39:47

I'd say that at age 6 they can't reason in the same way as an adult can so despite your chat with her and even her agreeing etc her heart won over as she loved the Mary Janes. I think be gentle with her and treat this as a (albeit expensive) learning experience for you both. Perhaps you could have said that Mary Janes are not suitable for winter but ok for other seasons so therefore you won't be buying them this time.

Bubblysqueak Mon 18-Dec-17 09:41:05

Could she take wellies in to change into at playtime? Lots of the children dis this when I was teaching .

user1493413286 Mon 18-Dec-17 09:43:14

I’d buy the boots and use this as an example to explain to her next time something like this comes up. She’s too young to really understand and sorry to be mean but it was really your responsibility to say no you’re having boots as you could see this was going to happen.
If she was older it’d be different but at 6 she can only see as far as what she wants at the time

SkyIsTooHigh Mon 18-Dec-17 09:45:07

It's great that she does run about. Insisting on the mary janes will discourage that, whatever other lessons she learns from that.

I'll probably be struck down by the parenting police but I'd be tempted to get her some cheaper boots to see her through to March ish then go back to MJs.

Where on earth do you normally get girls' ankle boots in August??

Sirzy Mon 18-Dec-17 09:47:30

I would get the boots and then if they still fit she can go back to the others in spring

SkyIsTooHigh Mon 18-Dec-17 09:53:21

Also I think we are all allowed to make mistakes. My DD really wanted shoes with toys in about this age. I didn't think they looked very robust but I said we'd get them once, and if they didn't work out then there wouldn't be any more. They were rubbish and had to be replaced after a term. I don't regret getting them though, she felt that she was listened to and treated fairly, and it does no harm to challenge the adults' assumptions.

Girls' shoes are a bit silly, though the fashion for brogues has helped.

SlimDogMillionaire Mon 18-Dec-17 09:53:32

'Eyes wide open' at 6?? 😂

BikeRunSki Mon 18-Dec-17 11:07:31

OK, you've convinced me, I'll get her some boots for next term!

I like your reasoning Sky, user and Autumn and I think this will give me credibility in the future. She still runs around, regardless of her footwear!

Ankle boots were plentiful in our local independent shoe shop in August !

That's what I was thinking Sirzy.

user1471459936 Mon 18-Dec-17 11:29:13

Waterproof socks!

BikeRunSki Mon 18-Dec-17 12:14:05

Where do you get waterproof socks for children user? More interested from a mountain biking point of view than anything else!

I’ve ordered her some boots now anyway (her favourite “home” shoes are M&S ankle boots, she’s had 2 pairs and they also do them in black, which is what we were originally going to get.)

YBR Mon 18-Dec-17 12:21:15

I'd keep her in those shoes until she grows out, and make sure she has the option of boots and a change of socks with her.
Cruel mummy!

BikeRunSki Mon 18-Dec-17 12:23:43

Where do you get waterproof socks for children user? More interested from a mountain biking point of view than anything else!

I’ve ordered her some boots now anyway (her favourite “home” shoes are M&S ankle boots, she’s had 2 pairs and they also do them in black, which is what we were originally going to get.)

BikeRunSki Mon 18-Dec-17 12:25:41

I’d do the welly thing, but school don’t like you doing this. If you walk to school in wellies, they ask for the adult who bought you to take them home.

llangennith Mon 18-Dec-17 12:32:40

Schools don’t have the time to supervise the palaver of kids changing in and out of wellies before and after playtimes.

Maya15 Mon 18-Dec-17 12:49:53

She is only 6 - why can she choose her own shoes?
I am sorry but of course a 6 year old would choose style over comfort.
Please be the responsible parent and get her some sensible shoes so that she doesn't have wet feet.
If money is an issue sell the Mary Janes on ebay or facebook and get some of the money back.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Mon 18-Dec-17 12:59:32

A school with woods on site that doesn't allow wellies for 6yos?? Are they insane??

DS HAD to have wellies (and waterproof trousers) in school until this year.

BikeRunSki Mon 18-Dec-17 16:02:51

I’ve ordered boots!!!!
I can understand that the schopl don’t want to have to help 60 c 4, 5 and 6 year olds to change into wellies for a 20 min break, then back into school shoes. Each class spends a half day outside each week, and school provides a selection of wellies and waterproofs for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now