Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

My American penpal sent me

(56 Posts)
sonlypuppyfat Sun 17-Dec-17 23:36:50

A bar of Cadburys chocolate she told me she was sending me some sweets and I was very excited to be trying something new. What chocolate bar could I send her that's very British and she won't have tried

RestingGrinchFace Sun 17-Dec-17 23:39:15

Hotel chocolat? Montezumas does a 'library' of British puddings.

ByAllMeansMoveAtAGlacialPace Sun 17-Dec-17 23:39:19

My American colleagues love crunchies the most when I visit. And Percy pigs.

HerRoyalNotness Sun 17-Dec-17 23:39:36

Crunchie, flake, fry's Turkish delight

Blahblahblahhhhhhh Sun 17-Dec-17 23:39:43

Id have to say frys mint cream or something like that. Vile but totally British pip pip eh .

VerticalBlinds Sun 17-Dec-17 23:41:20

after eights?
motezumas is lush especially the truffles but £££
flake?
cadbury got bought by a big USA company didn;t they there was a hooha and then they went and fucked with creme eggs

FreeNiki Sun 17-Dec-17 23:42:07

Chocolate orange

sonlypuppyfat Sun 17-Dec-17 23:59:30

When it came I thought great, I'm 20 miles from Cadburys, and you've sent this thousands of miles at great expense

laudanum Mon 18-Dec-17 00:02:30

Thornton's.

NewLove Mon 18-Dec-17 00:09:26

Galaxy ripple!! The only chocolate bar not to have shrunken

Jaytee38 Mon 18-Dec-17 00:09:33

I sent jelly babies and sachets of hot chocolate. She loved it.

bunbunny Mon 18-Dec-17 00:12:33

You could be very subversive and send a Kinder egg...

Or return the favour with a Hersheys bar... grin and a promise to take her to the Cadburys factory when she next visits if she loves Cadburys so much.

I was watching tv over the summer and apparently one of the reasons that people in the UK don't like American chocolate is that they have a compound in it that is also found in vomit and responsible for the funny sicky smell of vomit... because we haven't grown up thinking this is normal for chocolate, we all try it and are immediately struck by the vomit tang american chocolate has whereas americans are used to it and see it as nice and normal hmmconfused[jealous](<-- thought of american chocolate!) and often find UK chocolate to be missing a certain something.

So maybe you should count yourself lucky that you got Cadburys! You could also compare it with UK Cadburys - apparently some bars that look the same taste different in different countries or depending on where they were made.

hdoodle Mon 18-Dec-17 01:32:28

Cadbury Flake, but it wouldn’t survive being mailed. Galaxy caramel or malteasers?

SingaSong12 Mon 18-Dec-17 01:48:53

If you want something typically British the thing I've found popular with relatives is Thornton's toffee because it travels well. If it has to be chocolate then alpinies instead.

As she sent you something more associated with Britain you could send her some Hershey's or Reece's bars.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Mon 18-Dec-17 01:52:26

The Cadbury’s in North America is made there and tastes shite. Nothing like the proper stuff.
I’d send her a Ripple or two.

HerRoyalNotness Mon 18-Dec-17 01:59:18

Curly wurlys

AnnieAnonimouse Mon 18-Dec-17 02:02:16

How weird of her to send you Cadbury’s.

Sending some Reece’s sounds suitable.

But if you like her despite her weirdnesses then I’d send her Thornton’s chocolate covered toffee.

EmmaGrundyForPM Mon 18-Dec-17 02:03:56

Is it ok.to send confectionary in the post to America? My MIL loves Turkish Delight and can't get it where they ae in the US. I've never sent it in the post from the UK because I had an idea it wasn't allowed but maybe I'm wrong?

PumpkinSquash Mon 18-Dec-17 02:08:18

You could be very subversive and send a Kinder egg...

Aren't Kinder eggs illegal in the USA? So probably not a good idea. Subversive or not.

Good British ones - Kit Kats, Lion Bars.

LockedOutOfMN Mon 18-Dec-17 02:09:05

Marzipan? I always consider that to be pretty European, but I've never been to the U.S.

VimFuego101 Mon 18-Dec-17 02:26:37

Flake bars are hard to come by here. Or maybe Smarties? You could try a Kinder egg but they may not get through as technically they're banned here. Maybe some English shortbread or a mini Christmas pudding?

HipNewName Mon 18-Dec-17 02:27:20

Most British chocolates can be easily bought in the US at store called "World Market." They have them all over the US.

Kinder eggs, on the other hand, cannot be bought in the US. Those are the best. They are not sold because of the danger they pose to children under 2. No one actually cares if you send one to an adult.

Or Thorton's.

Katedotness1963 Mon 18-Dec-17 02:27:29

My in laws love Galaxy. Kinder Eggs have an enormous fine on them, what with them being so dangerous and all...

DrinkFeckArseGirls Mon 18-Dec-17 02:30:09

Yes, send her a Hershey bar grin

DrinkFeckArseGirls Mon 18-Dec-17 02:31:22

Green and Blacka

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now