Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

50 mins for 5k😱 howto improve!

(44 Posts)
Mrsfloss Sun 17-Dec-17 20:57:53

So fat and unfit but just finished couch to 5k but takes me 50 knackering minutes

Any ideas how to improve!

lastqueenofscotland Sun 17-Dec-17 20:59:45

Do you run the whole thing?
Intervals, hills, practice...

TractorTedTed Sun 17-Dec-17 21:00:22

Well done! You're ahead of everyone who can't run 5K!

How about park run? Or join a running club? Most cater to all abilities / distances and it's far more motivating, I find.

RitaPanda Sun 17-Dec-17 21:00:38

Just want to say well done. Getting the motivation to exercise in the first place can be the hardest part.

You will improve the more you run.

If you have a local Parkrun they are great for motivation

KittyandTeal Sun 17-Dec-17 21:02:05

Just keep going. 50mins for 5k when you’re dust Running is fine. It’s not just about time, it’s about an achievement and the feeling you get afterwards. Celebrate you acheievements.

Just keep cracking on at Running 5k consistently. If you really want to run for time and pace then do interval sessions, hill reps, strength training etc.

emsyj37 Sun 17-Dec-17 21:02:14

Just keep going, you will get faster and you will be surprised how quickly it happens.
I haven't been running since having DS and I need to get back to it, but I know it will be hard for the first few weeks/months. I also know I will be back to normal fitness soon enough as long as I keep at it.

SagelyNodding Sun 17-Dec-17 21:03:32

Well done! I finished about 3 weeks ago, and still take about 40 minutes to run 5k...
Im trying out different music to keep my pace up but I'm not quite there yet... Need better beats! And flat routes, which are hard to find where I live!

Mrsfloss Sun 17-Dec-17 21:05:42

I’m on a treadmill. Probably will be much longer outside. Is there a training plan that anyone’s uses to improve speed?

lastqueenofscotland Sun 17-Dec-17 21:06:38

I am so much slower on a dreadmill. Get outside it's much nicer!

pombal Sun 17-Dec-17 21:07:54

Don’t worry about the time.
Your goal is fitness and weight loss.

The only people who have to worry about time are professional athletes.

Most people can’t / won’t walk 5k, never mind run.

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Dec-17 21:08:21

Try the nhs 5k graduates podcasts

C0untDucku1a Sun 17-Dec-17 21:09:39

Run with other people. Im fastest when i cant be lazy!

WillowWept Sun 17-Dec-17 21:09:55

Just keep going. You're doing great smile

You will improve and quite quickly if you keep at it

Freshprincess Sun 17-Dec-17 21:10:47

Run outside. It's so much easier that the treadmill. And just keep going.

Postagestamppat Sun 17-Dec-17 21:11:13

I guess you are jogging and walking. I would recommend three ways. First carry on doing what you are doing but keeping an eye on the amount that you are running and gradually increasing it. You will get to the point of running the whole distance eventually. The advantage is that you are in control of what you feel capable of. Downside is that it is slow, boring and you may feel like giving up.

Second way is to do interval training. This can be done by cutting your distance right down and running faster than normal for say 30 seconds then walking for 20 seconds over 2 km. Then increase the speed of the running and distance gradually. This method will definitely give faster results but is tough as you should properly push yourself during the fast bits for it be effective.

Third way is another tough one. Run the whole 5 km in one go without walking! I did this once and it works but is murder. "Run" really slowly, slower than walking pace. Make sure you have music and refuse to allow yourself to walk. Next time it will be easier and afterwards just push yourself a little faster.

But really it is the intervals that get you faster quicker. But it is horrible imho. Good luck.

theredjellybean Sun 17-Dec-17 21:12:30

Well done, and remember you may run slowly but you arw still running.
Which is a darn sight more than people sat on the sofa...
I found that steadily running 5km for two runs a week, then doing two runs where is increased the distance, I aimed for half a km a week... This made me quicker at the 5km.
Over time I built up to 10km distance and beyond.
But I am still slow and never do 5km in less than 32mins..
Have decided that I am going to embrace my inner tortoise (some one at work suggested that. She too is a slow runner)

VivaLeBeaver Sun 17-Dec-17 21:14:26

Hills on the treadmill.
Intervals on the treadmill
Longer, slower endurance runs on the treadmill

ghostyslovesheets Sun 17-Dec-17 21:15:07

join Parkrun - run with other people - run outdoors

Itscurtainsforyou Sun 17-Dec-17 21:15:08

Me too op. I'm hoping that keeping going and upping the distance will help.

Aragog Sun 17-Dec-17 21:15:56

My times would be about that - I have got to doing the 20 minute runs but not reached 5k at all yet - not even attempted it yet. I have missed 4 weeks due to illness so no doubt when I go back to it when better I will be having to build up again. I run on a curved self powered treadmill as its better for my arthritis - lower impact; tried outdoor running an day knees swell. Some people run faster outdoors, some indoors - so try both.

However I know a few people who have done the C25K and all of them were saying their first 5Ks were very slow - up to an hour. But as they continued doing the same distance, their times just gradually improved.

But equally - don't worry about speed. You've done fantastic to reach 5K as it is. So see your focus on that, just keep going and it will build up and you'll naturally become faster in time.

CisCucumber Sun 17-Dec-17 21:16:35

Come out with me. That's my speed
I can walk faster than I jog

chutneypig Sun 17-Dec-17 21:17:51

I’m another who’s much slower on a treadmill. I finished c25k three years ago and the single biggest thing that increased my pace were treadmill intervals. I really slowed down between faster intervals and cranked up the pace a notch each session but only a little. I’m still rubbish at pacing outdoors but that’s one area the treadmill has the edge.

parkrun is fantastic and very motivating.

whoatemytwix Sun 17-Dec-17 21:19:13

This might be controversial but the best way to get quicker is to forget timings for now. Enjoy it, be proud, relax. Did I mention enjoy it?! The more you run the quicker you’ll get. Throw in the odd interval session- either with an incline on the threadmill or at varying speeds. You’re doing amazingly x

snowball98 Sun 17-Dec-17 21:19:39

Get the NHS podcast for couch 2 5k, I found it great it just tells you when to run and when to walk, you don't have to think about it.

poorbuthappy Sun 17-Dec-17 21:22:09

You’d probably knock off at least 5 mins outside

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now