Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Making cheesecake for family on Christmas day, will this work?

(13 Posts)
shouldnthavesaid Sun 17-Dec-17 18:50:19

I'm hopeful - I'm not brilliant at cooking! It's based on a recipe I saw on tv a few years ago.

I was going to do a shortbread base with crystallized ginger and lemon zest, do I just combine with butter?

For topping I want to do strawberries with white chocolate so have ordered 300g strawberries to chop finely, green and blacks white chocolate and philadelphia, plus thick cream. Do I need to add anything else like vanilla extract or icing sugar to it?

Top is going to be dark chocolate coated strawberries plus drizzles of dark and white chocolate across the top.

Is there anything else I need to add to make it extra special? I wasnt going to serve with cream or anything just as it is.

Its only for my mum, sister and I - they aren't fussy, but I want to do it well. My mum's a trained chef and sister has done work placements in canteens etc... I havent ever done anything of the sort. Will pre assemble on Christmas eve I think.

Mumatoo Sun 17-Dec-17 18:52:59

Is it based on this one?
www.donalskehan.com/recipes/blueberry-and-white-chocolate-cheesecake/

shouldnthavesaid Sun 17-Dec-17 18:55:41

Sort of yeah, would want the fruit to be like that. It was on Lorraine or something years ago and advertised as a summer recipe. My mum made it then and it was wonderful, very light. Just hoping I can get it as good (mum does the chicken and trimmings, sister does veg and I do dessert!)

Floellabumbags Sun 17-Dec-17 18:56:22

Personally I wouldn't put lemon, ginger and strawberries together.

I'd go for an old school digestive base, white choc, cream cheese and whipped cream topping with extra vanilla but no extra sugar and the strawberries on top. I'd chop a few and pop them in a pan with some sugar and cook them out a bit to make a glaze that I'd brush all over the top.

Ropsleybunny Sun 17-Dec-17 18:57:21

I'd find a recipe and stick to it, Nigella has a good one. All sorts of things can go wrong by guessing.

AreThereAnyUsersnamesLeft Sun 17-Dec-17 18:57:58

If you’re worried, have the time and can afford ingredients, do a practice run?

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sun 17-Dec-17 19:00:58

If you're not brilliant at cooking then find a recipe and stick to it.

Google Lorraine Pascal cheesecake and use her recipe if that's what you had in mind,

MaverickSnoopy Sun 17-Dec-17 19:01:35

My tip for white chocolate cheesecake is based on my failure. Make sure you bring philly / cream to room temperature before mixing with melted chocolate. Also make sure that melted chocolate has cooled properly. Otherwise you get random bits of chocolate distributed throughout which is a bit chocolate chip, rather than chocolate cheesecake!

shouldnthavesaid Sun 17-Dec-17 19:11:16

Can't afford extra ingredients sadly but do maybe the three flavours together might be a bit much. Will have a Google for a recipe - glaze sounds lovely though . I did wonder how the filling goes, so I should take cream and that out the fridge early and cool the chocolate before adding?

Queenofthebrae Sun 17-Dec-17 19:19:54

I regularly make a white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake at this time of year. You could easily swap the raspberries for strawberries. I find the better quality the chocolate I use, the fewer bars I need. I also use cheap, Tesco value or the like, biscuits for base.
Ingredients
For the biscuit base
· 75 g digestive biscuits, crushed
· 75 g gingernut biscuits, crushed
· 75 g butter melted
For the filling
· 400-600 g white chocolate, broken into pieces
· 65 g butter
· 1/2 vanilla pod / 2/3 drops vanilla essence
· 500 g cream cheese (mascarpone)
· 50 g caster sugar
· 180 ml whipping cream
· 1 punnet raspberries plus a few more to decorate

Method
1. For the biscuit base: combine the biscuits and butter and press onto the base of a 23cm spring form tin. 

2. For the filling: place the chocolate, butter and vanilla pod in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering (not boiling) water until melted. Allow to cool slightly. 

3. In another bowl mix together the cream cheese, sugar and whipping cream to a smooth consistency. 

4. Remove the vanilla pod from the melted chocolate mixture and stir into the cream mixture. Gently stir in the raspberries, being careful not to release the juice. 

5. Spoon the mixture on top of the biscuit base and place in the fridge to set for 8-24 hours. 

6. To serve: remove from the tin and place on a serving plate. Decorate with a few whole raspberries

Mumatoo Sun 17-Dec-17 19:21:26

I think you really need to stick to a recipe. Marscapone is £1.50 in Tesco for 250g (enough for the Donal s recipe above).
Substitute strawberries for the blue berries and ginger nut biscuits for digestives.
I definitely wouldn't go making cheesecake without a recipe as you want to be sure it will set.

HildaZelda Sun 17-Dec-17 21:37:41

I wouldn't do a lemon and ginger base with the chocolate and strawberry topping. A bit too many flavours going on there I think. What you could do though is instead of a plain (or shortbread) biscuit base, do one with chocolate chip biscuits. That way you have a bit of the chocolate element in the base too.
I've made this one before (using the raspberries) and it was lovely but it even says here that you could substitute strawberries and you could still swap the digestives for chocolate chip cookies if you wanted too.

www.beaut.ie/life/sweet-saturday-recipe-no-bake-cheesecake-144183

HildaZelda Sun 17-Dec-17 21:39:26

Oh and don't worry too much about the vanilla pod. I never used it. If you have vanilla essence, great, throw a drop in. If you don't it'll be fine without it anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now