Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Did your parents get up with you Christmas morning?

(73 Posts)
ALemonyPea Sun 17-Dec-17 18:21:58

Mine did.

DH and his brother were discussing their Christmas mornings, and it transpires that their parents never got up with them to open presents. BIL is 13 years older than DH and he got up with DH from him being a toddler while his parents stayed in bed. The same happened with BIL and SIL. As far as they an remember, their parents never got up with them. They weren’t neglectful parents, very normal childhood otherwise.

I find it very odd, and was just wondering if anyone else’s parents never got up with them.

SillyBub Sun 17-Dec-17 18:26:58

Not what you're getting at, but.... My mum (lone parent) used to wake up bright and early, waiting for her supposedly over excited DC to come running in and bounce on the bed seeing if FC fsmile had been. Never happened, we loved our sleep too much. She had to wake us Every. Single. Year.

Thedietstartsnow Sun 17-Dec-17 18:30:43

Mine would leave the presents at the end of her bed ,so she didn't have to get up to while we opened them.not very nice or Christmasy

happylantern Sun 17-Dec-17 18:33:17

My mum woke us up every year and then we'd run through to wake our dad smile she carried this on until I moved out at 21 grin

NotCornflakes Sun 17-Dec-17 18:34:07

My Dad did, my Mum didn't. Probably because she was the one up until 2am wrapping all the presents for three kids!

Ellybellyboo Sun 17-Dec-17 18:35:40

Yes.

My brother and I would drag our stocking through to parents bedroom and open them together.

My kids have never been bright-and-early-birds and I’ve had to wake them some years. Father Christmas has always left their stockings downstairs and we’ve always come down together

wendz86 Sun 17-Dec-17 18:36:10

Yes but we had to wait for them to get up and make a cup of tea before we started opening .

NotExactlyHappyToHelp Sun 17-Dec-17 18:36:43

Mine would leave our stockings (a pillowcase) at the end of our beds with wee presents in and we’d wake up and drag them into mum & dads bed to open and we’d sit and have a little play with what we got then all troop downstairs for the main present under the tree.

I get up with DS and go downstairs to see him open his pressies. It’s a lovely sight watching his little face light up.

ScreamingValenta Sun 17-Dec-17 18:39:07

Yes, always.

ginteresting Sun 17-Dec-17 18:40:25

Yes, but we weren't allowed to get up before 8. Friends up the street we're allowed to get up at 5. I was always jealous, not sure why.

ginteresting Sun 17-Dec-17 18:40:50

Were

AJPTaylor Sun 17-Dec-17 18:41:47

My mum always left our presents at the bottom of our beds. I have no doubt she wad too knackered to get up at stupid oclock and my dad was by nature an angry man!
My dcs got stockings from the hall and came into our bed. Then all other presents opened in turn under the tree.
I was little in early /mid 70s
Tbf my dh was the same as me.

ImAMarshmellow Sun 17-Dec-17 18:42:23

We would have to wait at the closed lounge door until Dad was dragged from bed at 7am. We didn't have stockings, and we had a main gift from Santa , under the tree (usually a bike, electronics etc) and Mum and Dad always wanted to see our faces when we saw the present. It was never wrapped, but everything else was. This tradition continued until my brother moved out at 27. Gifts were always opened one at a time and then everyone could see what each other got.

Cousins Dad refused to get up until 10:30am so kids were unable to open gifts until then. He grew up a JW so his attitude to Christmas is one of a necessary evil. At in his head xmas was a day off work and he deserved a lie in. Even when my cousins were very young, that was how it worked in their house.

lynmilne65 Sun 17-Dec-17 18:44:22

Nope

SkyIsTooHigh Sun 17-Dec-17 18:44:47

Every year they would tell us they wanted to see us open our stockings so we weren't allowed to start without them. We also weren't allowed to wake them until 8.30.

Every year we were up at silly o'clock, and couldn't contain ourselves, and they were "disappointed" in us.

RaidTheCupboards Sun 17-Dec-17 18:47:27

Aw that makes me sad that they wouldn’t want to watch their kids open presents. That to me is the best thing about Xmas.

My DH never sees the kids open them because he runs a bloody restaurant and has to be there at 6am to open up and cook the meat as no one else starts til 11.30 :-(

LumpySpaceCow Sun 17-Dec-17 18:47:28

Yes, every year. Even as teenagers we would wake them up to open them!

Lindibop Sun 17-Dec-17 18:47:46

I can recall one year going into the living room and my mum hadn’t been to bed. She was fast asleep on the chair having sat down for a minute a few hours earlier.

But the usual was that me and my sister would get up at any time we wanted, have a look round the living room, then run in to get my mum up. It was only ever her who did get up and it suited the three of us.

Quite often we’d be back in bed a couple of hours later to catch up on our sleep before going to mass.

Christmas was magical.

Marcine Sun 17-Dec-17 18:52:12

We had stockings to open on our beds, then under the tree presents were done after everyone was up, dressed and had breakfast.

So far my DC always bring their stockings in to us so we are in bed while watching them open them.

TheWitchAndTrevor Sun 17-Dec-17 18:52:28

We had pillowcases that we would drag through to our parents bedroom at whatever time we woke up.

We do the same for our dc. 3 or 4 in the morning sometimes they have come bouncing in. Once they have gone through the pillowcases it's off back to bed.

7.30 - 8am we all get up and have breakfast and sort the presents under the tree.

ClashCityRocker Sun 17-Dec-17 18:52:44

We opened stockings with just siblings - a cunning plan on my parents part to get a few hours more kip!

Then we'd wake the parents, show them what we'd got in the stockings and all go down stairs for breakfast before doing the tree presents.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Sun 17-Dec-17 18:56:04

My parents always did.

Dh's parents told him when he was 5 or 6 that he'd been bad and got no presents because he woke them up at 4am!

They also insisted they get to see our kids open their presents one year, and we had to keep 3 excited children in our bed away from their presents until their grandparents got dressed and got up from their hotel, just so they could see them open all their gifts.
Never again, as long as DH and I get up with them to see them open presents that is enough.

ALemonyPea Sun 17-Dec-17 18:59:01

I often had to wake my parents up, but they still got up with us. Why wouldn't parents want to get up to see their DC all excited about what they got?

We didn't do stockings at the end of the bed, ours were on the fireplace, filled with fruit and sweets , nothing else.

BellyBean Sun 17-Dec-17 19:05:45

Sometimes we'd open stockings without parents, when we were younger we'd snuggle up in bed with them (5 all together) to open them and 1 largish present.

But all other presents had to wait until after we'd washed up from dinner (around 2-3pm). Often we'd not have opened relatives presents when they phoned and we'd have to find them and open them quickly so we could say thanks.

StandardPoodle Sun 17-Dec-17 19:07:05

I had a pillowcase at the foot of the bed but wasn't allowed to open anything or go into my parents' bedroom until 7am. It seemed such a long time from waking up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now