Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Stratford on Avon with children

(12 Posts)
Bookridden Sun 17-Dec-17 16:45:15

We are going up for a short break to see the RSC's version of A Christmas Carol. It's a new place for us: where do you recommend to eat, visit and do with an 11 yo and a 9 yo? Would welcome tips from those in the know! Thank you.

longestlurkerever Sun 17-Dec-17 16:48:54

There's a deal called stay play explore where you get a family room plus three activities for something like £150. It started as a Leicester thing but there's a Stratford version now. I have yet to try it though.

Furball Sun 17-Dec-17 17:00:12

There is a place called The Mad museum - It is expensive for what it is (I think) - but you can use Tesco vouchers

Furball Sun 17-Dec-17 17:02:09

Sorry pressed post to soon - It is a fun place though - and ideal for children that age.

Runlovingmummy81 Sun 17-Dec-17 17:08:39

The butterfly farm is good too.

Furball Sun 17-Dec-17 17:10:47

Also nice little 'sandwich' shop Called no 37, it's in Sheep Street, which runs parallel to the high street off waterside.

Very accommodating and they do sandwich's/quiche/paninis/soups type meals, but also good selection of cake. All, or at least most of it is homemade.

MrsBartlettforthewin Sun 17-Dec-17 17:13:33

There's a good butterfly farm. A tour of the RSC back stage is awesome (according to my 8 year old) the birthplace trust have a lot of thing. There is a magic shop (not actually HP but that sort of idea) which is fun.
Also, there church where Shakespeare is is pretty.

SellFridges Sun 17-Dec-17 17:15:00

There’s a great ice cream parlour. DD adores the Butterfly farm and Mary Arden’s Tudor Farm. She’s a bit younger than yours though.

Plenty of good food around - all the usual chains and then can thoroughly recommend Oppo’s (and their other restaurants too).

Buxbaum Sun 17-Dec-17 17:16:44

YY to the MAD museum, then further down Henley Street Magic Alley is fun if you are into magic or fantasy. My 4yo absolutely loves the butterfly farm but it might be a bit young for your two. The RSC often has family activities on so it’s worth checking there. You could go for a boat ride on the river but wrap up warm!

Slightly further afield, Compton Verney is fab and always looks beautiful at Christmas.

PrivateParkin Sun 17-Dec-17 17:18:33

Agree re the Mad Museum. Boston Tea Party is a good place to eat with kids (brunch, lunch type place). Hooray's has amazing ice cream, sundaes, waffles, etc. We saw A Christmas Carol yesterday OP - it was brilliant. Take some water in with you - it's hot in there! Enjoy.

vintagechick43 Sun 17-Dec-17 17:19:13

I recommend going to Hobson' s for tea and cake , the cake's are amazing!!!! It is a couple of shops down from the mad museme. Otherwise you have Bella itala, zizi's and pizza express you can go to for meals.
Warwick castle is nearby if you have a car although it is quite expensive.
The river is nice to walk around with a play park across the bridge.
I'm really jealous that your going to watch a Christmas carol, I tried to get tickets but they had sold out .

AngryPrincess Sun 17-Dec-17 17:48:08

Can you still get a tour on an open topped bus? Might be chilly now, brrrrr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now