Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

can anyone help with ingrown toenail surgery tomorrow?

(24 Posts)
ssd Sun 17-Dec-17 14:06:07

ds having this done on big toe

is scared of needles

I bought emla cream

question is, where does he use it? it as to be applied an hr before surgery.

help!

also they say bring flipflops, would that be ok? will he get them on?

LIZS Sun 17-Dec-17 14:12:17

Flipflops fine, ds wore sandals afterwards.

Hulder Sun 17-Dec-17 14:15:05

EMLA all over big toe. Flip flops are ideal, I had to go and buy some emergency sandals in the middle of winter.

ssd Sun 17-Dec-17 14:17:14

does the jags go between the toes as well?

ssd Sun 17-Dec-17 14:40:02

bump

mrsreynolds Sun 17-Dec-17 14:44:17

JAbs are done at Base of toe
14 year old ds had this done in August
The jabs hurt...not sure Emla will help tbh but if you do use it lather it on!

Footle Sun 17-Dec-17 14:49:25

Jags are the same as jabs except they take place in Scotland.

timeistight Sun 17-Dec-17 14:52:07

I had this done at the end of November. It was completely painless. The jags/jabs were no worse than a dental anaesthetic. The worst bit for me was having a completely numb big toe afterwards, which made me a bit wobbly until it wore off. I'm sure your DS will be fine.

IncyWincyGrownUp Sun 17-Dec-17 14:55:02

My eldest had it done. The local was horrendous, she was in tears and wanted to give up. I was mean and talked her through it.

FrogFairy Sun 17-Dec-17 15:10:19

A Velcro fastening flip flop is easier to get on. He will have a fair wad of bandage on his toe.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-BEACH-SHOWER-GYM-MULE-FLIP-FLOP-SANDALS-BLACK-NAVY-SIZES-6-11-NEW/182928278174?hash=item2a9760029e:m:mCQ9QBDz8S54tFJcMw7Ixkg

Not a good time of year to buy but if you can borrow some even a couple of sizes too big they would do the job.

IrritatedUser1960 Sun 17-Dec-17 15:17:18

I do nail surgery once a week. Apply EMLA cream on the toe from below the nail to the base of the toe, they will need to put the needle in both sides of the toe near the base to make a ring block around the toe. Emla cream will help but the local anaesthetic does sting a bit.
They will put a big pressure dressing on but flip flops will be fine.
Toes bleed a lot so he'll need to rest with feet up for the rest of the day.

VeganIan Sun 17-Dec-17 15:17:45

There was a jag between the big toe and one next to it. The actual surgery was quick and although the bruising was impressive, it went down very quickly. However, I passed out during the anaesthetic stage - me: I'm going to faint, them: you can't lying down, me: watch me - as it was agony. If you've emla'ed your entire foot toe, you'll be grand.

IrritatedUser1960 Sun 17-Dec-17 15:18:14

It's fine though, I got one of my students to do mine 4 weeks ago, it didn't hurt and was healed in 4 weeks.

BlazingPaddles Sun 17-Dec-17 15:19:17

The jabs are a bit painful but over in a jiffy. Just get him to look at the ceiling and chat about something nice until it's over.

ssd Sun 17-Dec-17 19:54:33

thanks, I'm just hoping its not too bad for him

what about recovery and getting back to school?

LIZS Sun 17-Dec-17 19:58:54

Ds was a bit sore for a few days then could walk and wear shoes but it took several weeks to heal up.

ssd Sun 17-Dec-17 20:05:21

what sort of painkillers are best afterwards?

LIZS Sun 17-Dec-17 20:11:23

I don't think ds bothered , it wasn't that painful, but they handed out an aftercare leaflet with advice. Does he have an appointment to go back next day for a dressing change?

BlazingPaddles Sun 17-Dec-17 20:12:30

I didn't need any painkillers. Took the following day off but didn't really need to tbh.

TheHuffAndPuffALot Sun 17-Dec-17 20:18:51

I had mine done in October.
The jabs were the worst bit tbh - I covered my face with a pillow the nurse gave me, held her hand tight and let the tears flow! That bit was over in a minute, then it was the strange sensation of having a numb toe.
I wore sandals immediately afterwards, and was a bit limited for footwear in the weeks following while all bandaged up.

ssd Sun 17-Dec-17 20:33:16

thanks

I got him emla cream, the instructions with it says to put in on but dont rub it in and apply a dressing over it that comes with it, has anyone not applied the dressing, his apt is first thing and we'll be in a rush to get there in time

has anyone got experience of using emla?

I'm panicking a bit

ssd Sun 17-Dec-17 20:34:37

could anyone who has done the surgery please do a wee map of exactly where the injections go, its his big toe, I'm a bit confused where the emla should go

LIZS Sun 17-Dec-17 20:48:58

Ds reckons the injection went in on the outside of the toe just below the first joint.

ssd Sun 17-Dec-17 22:43:59

I've told him to apply the emla around the bottom of the toe

thanks to everyone here who has advised me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now