Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is there a trick to hanging Xmas cards on a string without it falling down?!

(19 Posts)
FluffedIt Sun 17-Dec-17 13:49:10

This year it didn't even last a full day before the string came out from under the sellotape and sent cards everywhere?

What am I doing wrong?! Why is it so hard?! angryblushgrinsad

blueskyinmarch Sun 17-Dec-17 13:51:27

Sellotape will never do the job. You need to put the string up with drawing pins.

endofthelinefinally Sun 17-Dec-17 13:52:57

You need to use drawing pins for the string. If you have anywhere that you can use them.
Sellotape is pretty useless.

BearSoFair Sun 17-Dec-17 14:21:20

Yep, drawing pins are the way to go! We just did ours yesterday, hopefully you don't have a 'helpful' DH like mine making comments that the string is too high/low/tight/loose...

FluffedIt Sun 17-Dec-17 14:23:41

Oh poo. I was trying to avoid pins as the holes wave at me afterwards and drive me mad..

I've put a glue dot under the sellotape for now as a bodge it I'm having dinner in a minute but not sure how long it will last!

dementedpixie Sun 17-Dec-17 14:28:28

I use command hooks that stick on but can be removed without damaging the paint

Albertschair Sun 17-Dec-17 14:29:55

we've used command hooks too

Nicecuppatea21 Sun 17-Dec-17 14:37:44

I display Christmas cards on top of the kitchen cupboards and they look really nice. It really gives a festive feeling to the kitchen and reminds me of a lot of people I like.

EnidButton Sun 17-Dec-17 14:51:33

Bit late now probably but this stuff is brilliant. Basically a double sided sticky felt strip that you stick to your wall or door then stick the cards on top. It comes off without any marks at all, easy to move and adjust and you can roll it up and reuse. So easy. Can't find it in stock anywhere to link but it's called Gripping Stuff for cards.

FaithEverPresent Sun 17-Dec-17 14:53:15

I string mine between light fittings and then use card clips to attach the cards. I got a lovely selection from Lidl.

FaithEverPresent Sun 17-Dec-17 14:54:59

Bit like these ones

CurlsLDN Sun 17-Dec-17 15:00:36

These

www.wilko.com/door-hooks-and-hangers/command-damage-free-decorating-clips-clear-20pk/invt/0408538

Christmas card string, fairy lights, wreath, all sorted and not budging until I want them to disappear

FluffedIt Sun 17-Dec-17 17:51:50

Well I've gone out for the afternoon and they are still up! No doubt they will be on the floor in the morning so I shall have to try your suggestions!

Thank you everyone!

IfNot Sun 17-Dec-17 17:53:58

Dental floss. Seriously. It wraps round the pin really well and is very strong .

BoldMcCoo Sun 17-Dec-17 19:20:26

We also use command hooks. They are the best thing ever. Two command hooks with yarn strung across, never fallen down!

Also used for fairy lights and other decorations. They're tiny ones but so strong!

www.amazon.co.uk/Command-Decoration-Clips-Christmas-Fairy/dp/B0084M66QS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=command+hooks+fairy&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1513538415&sr=8-1

Mormont Sun 17-Dec-17 20:13:41

I blue tack each card to the door (and blue tack them closed) and it makes a nice display.

FluffedIt Sun 17-Dec-17 22:08:43

Aaaaaand they have both fallen down... booooo!!!

Will head to wilko Tomo! hmm

dancinfeet Mon 18-Dec-17 08:12:03

Those command hooks took the paint and a chunk of plaster off my wall when I removed them from last year's xmas cards!

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Mon 18-Dec-17 08:15:11

I bluetack the cards to the wall. can't be arsed with unco-operative string 😂😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now