Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Susannah ( Trinny and Susannah) says she’s had nits off and on for three years.

(36 Posts)
Dowser Sun 17-Dec-17 13:29:04

Apparently they are becoming immune to normal treatments.
She’s paid a lot of money to have her hair professionally treated.
I read somewhere else she thought she’d got them from a helmet worn by others.

Does this mean we can pick them up from pillows when staying in hotels.

www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/susannah-constantine-provides-painstakingly-detailed-11710510

StealthPolarBear Sun 17-Dec-17 13:29:33

Ouch!

Maudlinmaud Sun 17-Dec-17 13:33:42

I know they're persistent but surely three years is a very long time. A nitty gritty and cheap conditioner works in this house
I have heard that some of the treatments are less effective than others.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sun 17-Dec-17 13:35:11

She needs to get some listerine on it. Its how I got rid of DD's without treatment.

steppemum Sun 17-Dec-17 13:35:45

well, I haven't read it, but chemical treatments are known to be not working much anymore.

We were told, that actually the best thing is to use conditioner, and comb your hair every hours with the conditioner on for 2 weeks.

I have done that with my girls and it works.

There is a great thing on-line somewhere detailing the life cycle and showing you when and how to comb.

But I think it is incredibly hard to comb yourself well, and if you have long thick hair it is hard to comb it properly.

Dowser Sun 17-Dec-17 13:35:55

Good for her for speaking up about it.
Listerine...👍

NinahH Sun 17-Dec-17 13:38:34

Listerine must work because of the alcohol? I've heard of people using vodka

steppemum Sun 17-Dec-17 13:39:06

that shoudl say - comb your hair every 48 hours!

LittleHearts Sun 17-Dec-17 13:39:09

Poor Susannah! Headlice are horrid.

Maudlinmaud Sun 17-Dec-17 13:39:36

Aaaannnnd I'm scratching.

steppemum Sun 17-Dec-17 13:40:15

the treatments that do work are not insecticides, they are ones based on oil or alcohol and they dehydrate. They can't become immune to dehydration

OhWotIsItThisTime Sun 17-Dec-17 13:40:34

Nina is that because you don’t care about the little blighters if you’re three sheets to the wind?

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sun 17-Dec-17 13:43:33

Listerine must work because of the alcohol?

Yep, It worked. Vinegar also works apparently. I only did the Listerine once. Left it on for 30 mins, washed out, then did the conditioner method for 3 days. No more lice.

Maudlinmaud Sun 17-Dec-17 13:49:42

We got "the note" home from school last week, thankfully our house is clear. My hairdresser told me to scrape dds hair into a bun and spray with hairspray. The hairspray makes the hair too slippy for the lice to grip. Not sure about this but prevention is the best type of cure.

Dowser Sun 17-Dec-17 13:57:57

How likely is it to pick them up from pillows though.
( more things to worry about when travelling)

Chaosofcalm Sun 17-Dec-17 14:00:11

I thought treatments kill the nits but not the eggs and you have to come with conditioner to remove all the eggs. Treatments are therefore pointless if you don’t do the combing. Am I wrong?

Elphame Sun 17-Dec-17 14:00:20

I expect she was very well paid for the original Daily Mail article which is just an advert for an expensive treatment

Regularsizedrudy Sun 17-Dec-17 14:00:44

I think it’s very unlikely to get them from pillows etc as they really cannot survive long at all without a host. After 3 years I think I would just shave my head!

Dowser Sun 17-Dec-17 14:00:46

😱 maudlinmaud
Thought they would only be out and about in warm weather.
I thought they had to be on a host and you practically
Had to have head to head contact.
I thought with the nit comb , once it moved them away from your scalp , they began to die off.

Obviously I know nothing about nits.

Toffeelatteplease Sun 17-Dec-17 14:04:32

Nitty gritty comb nightly.... only way... it's a real pain

steppemum Sun 17-Dec-17 14:06:52

it is possible to pick them up from something eg a helmet, but it is highly unlikely and pretty rare.
Lice are very rarely off a host. You have to have actual head to head contact, as they don't jump, they only walk, form one hair to another. It is possible for them to walk off the head onto a pillow, but very unusual. It is also likely that those doing that are not 100% Ok and therefore not veyr likely to walk onto your head and breed.

The adults do survive away from the scalp, at the bottom of your hair. They use your scalp to feed and breed.

weather makes no difference as you body is a lovely constant temp!

Ta1kinPeace Sun 17-Dec-17 14:08:15

she talkin bilge

rub conditioner into the hair
then nit comb
they can never become immune to that

notaflyingmonkey Sun 17-Dec-17 14:10:37

I remember the hell that I went through with DD's long, wavy thick hair. I really struggled with getting it nit free. The thing that work in the end was using oil - I can't remember which, but I think linseed - smothering her hair in it, coming every hour, then making her sleep with her hair tucked into a shower cap before rinsing it off in the morning.

I did say I would shave her hair if that didn't work. Luckily we never had to test that out..

BoreOfWhabylon Sun 17-Dec-17 14:11:29

I suspect SC has an 'arrangement' with the company promoted in the ad.

Crazy8 Sun 17-Dec-17 14:14:09

I used the conditioner and nit comb method and also used my GHD straighteners on DD. Obviously this only works if they are old enough to stay still. We got rid of them very quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now