Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Even the million pound houses are shit

(60 Posts)
Idreamofalandrover Sun 17-Dec-17 13:09:30

When right move defaults to highest priced first even the million pound ones are pretty ordinary with plenty of flaws.

Anyone else just finding housing in the UK depressing?

AuntLydia Sun 17-Dec-17 13:11:31

I highly doubt that is the case for the whole of the UK. I assume you're in London or at least the south East of England?

Idreamofalandrover Sun 17-Dec-17 13:13:14

Well it is for anywhere where I can get a job! Can't move somewhere with no work for me.

Oxford looking

AuntLydia Sun 17-Dec-17 13:16:42

It must be very tough finding somewhere decent and affordable in that area of the country. You have my sympathies if you're stuck there due to work. There are still plenty of areas of the UK where a million £ would get you something amazing though.

artisancraftbeer Sun 17-Dec-17 13:19:01

Yep. That's the case in Oxford. Especially North Oxford.

There's been too much money coming in with people selling their house in London and moving to Oxford for s better quality of life while still commuting to London.

The villages are a bit cheaper but then traffic is awful if you're going towards Oxford.

Idreamofalandrover Sun 17-Dec-17 13:19:43

Oh I can't even afford a million, maybe 1/3 at a stretch. I sometimes think I'd be better off working in Tesco rather than my well paid job somewhere where houses are cheap

girlwhowearsglasses Sun 17-Dec-17 13:22:09

You can commute to Oxford form Warwickshire - which would have lovely houses that price

NisekoWhistler Sun 17-Dec-17 13:22:26

It gets you a 2 bed mid terrace where we live, absolute joke

Nyx1 Sun 17-Dec-17 13:24:26

hi OP
completely understand

it's unbelievable. We couldn't get near a £1million pound home but in some cases it is truly amazing what you will get for that money.

We are looking to move quite rural next year - it was on my mind for a while so I kept an eye on prices and now I think London may be flattening out and rural is going up so I said to DP we need to get our skates on before we are priced out of that as well.

Ironically I suspect this is because of Londoners moving out en masse and prices going up in rural areas because they can get so much out of an escaping Londoner....but now I think Londoners will start to be affected by all the over development going on here.

It's really a huge pain in the butt.

B0033 Sun 17-Dec-17 13:25:19

House prices are insane around there. Come up north. Look here... www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45733392.html

Nyx1 Sun 17-Dec-17 13:25:30

"it is truly amazing what you will get for that money."

sorry, I should be clearer - amazingly small and crap!! We'd be looking at more like £400k.

babyturtles Sun 17-Dec-17 13:26:05

I'm rural up north and can tell you even £1m houses here look shit to me.

I think I'm better off building my own (if I had the cash). Everything looks shit to me right now.

BrizzleDrizzle Sun 17-Dec-17 13:28:41

It's expensive here but you can still get

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70146443.html

Or this a bit further out

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70289546.html

QforCucumber Sun 17-Dec-17 13:30:03

www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/60472630 I'd love to afford it where we are - under 1million near me.

LoniceraJaponica Sun 17-Dec-17 13:30:34

The disparity in house prices around the UK is massive. I have just done a quick search and found a 4 bedroom cottage with 8 acres of land for under £1m near me here.

Farrar Sun 17-Dec-17 13:33:57

I couldn't cope.

I live in an 1800s 3 bedroom detached with a garden, driveway and two detached garages .. it cost £160k.

We're about 15 minutes outside of Leeds so plenty of work for us in the Digital sector.. easy commute and we can get to other major cities pretty quick too.

That being said, I adore London but I just have to settle for work trips there.

ToadOfSadness Sun 17-Dec-17 13:40:02

Anything in that price range or a bit lower where I am looking is in a cul de sac. Our road and the next has houses for sale around the million and a bit mark, all detached, the next road has a subsidence situation but every single house that sells here is ripped apart with only the fascia left and rebuilt so really the million is just the start of the cost.

I despair of ever leaving here.

blueskyinmarch Sun 17-Dec-17 13:41:20

My DD has just moved into a house in London that cost a million quid. She rents - she didn't buy it (it was bought as an investment by her flatmates uncle). I went to stay with her last week. It is basically a Victorian terrace which has been modernised and done up. It is very nice and she is delighted with it but i don't think i would have paid that for it!

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sun 17-Dec-17 13:41:56

In the area we have just left it would buy you a flat above a shop. grin

Eton

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sun 17-Dec-17 13:43:10

North Oxford prices are ludicrous. My dds have both bought in considerably less expensive areas of Oxford - and I don't mean Barton/Blackbird Leys.
However I do think prices are beginning to come down a little - perhaps partly because so many landlords who don't want to pay the extra tax are selling up?

Lules Sun 17-Dec-17 13:48:03

My perfectly nice but nothing amazing 4 bed semi in the SE cost almost 3 times as much as my SIL’s lovely big 6 bed house in NI. The regional differences are huge.

Doobydoo Sun 17-Dec-17 13:48:06

We are midlands. I agree with you OP....whether they are a mill or 95k they all look like they need stuff doing.....not just decoration but more costly stuff.

falange Sun 17-Dec-17 13:50:29

Lol. Million pound houses round here are few and far between and are all lovely. I was smiling on another thread where the OP was told she'd only be able to get a flat for 1.5 million.

GnomeDePlume Sun 17-Dec-17 13:57:16

How long are you prepared to commute and what are you looking for? I live not so far away.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sun 17-Dec-17 13:58:07

The reason why Somerset is full of Londoners...

here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now