Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Cold sore treatment

(29 Posts)
Dontletthebastardsgrindyoudown Sun 17-Dec-17 10:28:17

Can anyone recommend the absolute bees knees of quick cold sore treatment? It's appeared over night triggered by stress confused and I've to meet a new baby niece on Saturday... worried as I I don't want to cuddle her if I'm disgusting with a cold sore or make the new mum uptight just by being in the vicinity!

TrickyD Sun 17-Dec-17 10:35:21

See if you can get your GP to prescribe Valtrex tablets, they might sort it out by Saturday. My GP who had worked in Australia said they were commonly prescrbed there, not often here because they are deemed 'expensive.'

Fluffyears Sun 17-Dec-17 10:36:51

The little compeed patches for cold sores work really well. I don’t get them but my friend had one and it worked overnight.

Tobuyornot99 Sun 17-Dec-17 10:37:46

If you suffer Regus, as I do, then lysine is an amazing preventative. You can buy a lip salve, and tablets (unfortunately they are like horse pills and I can't manage them).
Doesn't help you immediately I know, but maybe for the future.

SleepFreeZone Sun 17-Dec-17 10:39:16

Compeed patches are fabulous.

Fekko Sun 17-Dec-17 10:40:00

Zovirax cold sore patches but you need to get one on as soon as you feel the spider walking over your lip. The boots onea aren't as good

HemanOrSheRa Sun 17-Dec-17 10:41:21

I second lysine. I take the tablets when I get an outbreak - quite a large dose 1500/2000mg per day - and it definitely stops it spreading, reduces the blistering and speeds up the healing time.

Weirdpostthrudoor Sun 17-Dec-17 10:43:55

You’ll need to speak to the mum about how she feels but the herpes virus can be serious if caught by a newborn so I’d stay well away and make sure to wash your hands thoroughly and often. I despise the things so wouldn’t chance passing it on to anyone.

I suffer from them and Zovirax is the best over the counter medication and you can get Compeed patches that cover the whole thing but sometimes when you take them off they can take the top layer of scab off which is sore.

The best thing I find is a real Aloe Vera plant. Just take off a bit of the leaf and rub on the cold sore when required and I find it clears up much quicker than using the cream once the tingle has gone.

CremeFresh Sun 17-Dec-17 10:44:21

Bloody cold sores angry. I'm get them under my nose- I'm sporting a particularly spectacular one at the moment, it looks like a giant bogey !
I'm going to get some Compeed patches if people say they work ( I thought they were for corns).

Tbh I'd smear horse poo on it if I thought it would make it go away grin

user1471429825 Sun 17-Dec-17 10:45:41

Bonjela cold sore treatment is miraculous. If meeting baby competed patches prevent infection from being spread. Lysine for prevention of future outbreaks.

Fekko Sun 17-Dec-17 10:51:06

In an emergency tea tree oil helps.

UrsulaPandress Sun 17-Dec-17 10:53:14

Nothing works.

I speak from bitter experience.

To dry them up and speed the process, vinegar or cheap aftershave.

SleepFreeZone Sun 17-Dec-17 10:56:49

I skim read and didn't see the bit about meeting a newborn. Please postpone the meeting if you still have your coldsore. As a PP said the herpes virus can be fatal for infants if caught and you don't want to take any chances.

Fekko Sun 17-Dec-17 10:58:27

It should be ok by next Saturday? Check with someone with medical knowledge about this (my brownie first aid badge isn't it).

Mustang27 Sun 17-Dec-17 11:04:25

I'm on my 12 cold sore out break this year they are bloody horrible. I need to get to gp to try take something daily to help prevent. The compeed patches are fantastic they are pricey but they stop the infection spreading by sealing in all the ooze. I find wearing them for first 3 days then allowing it to air and dry out the scab over that they die very quickly. I'd still be worried about the infection I have a 2yr old who iv managed not to pass it too so it can be avoided. It was my mum that I contracted the virus from as a baby sad. You have my sympathy they make me feel really unwell they are just bloody nasty.

whoareyoukidding Sun 17-Dec-17 11:04:42

I suffered from cold sores all my life until I started taking an anti viral supplement for another condition and I can honestly say that I have not had a cold sore for 18 months now - unheard of with me! It's called Lauricidin and you can get it from Amazon.

Fekko Sun 17-Dec-17 11:05:25

It's like the plague isn't it? Yuk. I get them mostly in the Summer.

notapizzaeater Sun 17-Dec-17 11:09:13

My mum gets horrific ones that keep scarring her - her gp has ordered her a blood test to check for anything underlying

lonelyatchristmas Sun 17-Dec-17 11:10:06

There is a cream that can be gotten in the health shop call "bio propolis".. I'll try and find a photo... put it on and your cold sore is scabbed and gone within 2 days.. we get it in here's health in Ireland so don't know if ye have those shops but you should be able to get it in others...

Constantlurker Sun 17-Dec-17 11:13:38

You can go see the baby but please please don't hold a newborn with a cold sore. Even if you don't kiss the baby it is very dangerous. You need to wait until the scab has completely gone. Wash your hands multiple times when you are there but also check with the mum before you go over, don't put her in that awkward position.

One thing that always works for me is witch hazel on a cotton pad, keep dabbing at it. Dries it out really fast!

Dontletthebastardsgrindyoudown Sun 17-Dec-17 11:14:38

Brilliant Thank you everyone. I've listed cures preventatives and patches to stop spreading. I get them when in high stress situations, and really feeling it the now. I bite/chew my lips and inside mouth if it's raised and that's what brings it on.

Completely aware of the dangers, plus the new Mum works in medicine so she will be too. Hoping it clears and I can at least see the baby from the other side of room, but fully prepared to be banished from house, quite rightly so.

Dontletthebastardsgrindyoudown Sun 17-Dec-17 11:20:28

I think I'm worried it's seen as an excuse not to go, when I'm desperate to see the baby. This itself will stress me more. And I've been there with a new baby and last thing I want is the Mum feeling anxious. So I'll definitely give her a heads up too, and see what she says.

I have kids and worried they're carrying it etc etc sad

GertyTheGert Sun 17-Dec-17 18:35:07

As a little note, as I get these dastardly things quite a lot, if the cold sore is at the squashy full-volume stage - because I found Zovirax cream stopped working, so it happens quite a lot :-( - what to do is get a couple of cotton wool buds. Pour some NAIL POLISH REMOVER into the lid of the bottle. Dip one cotton bud into the remover, dab on cold sore. Repeat with next bud. You will be utterly butterly a m a z e d that in an hour or less the dastard has deflated magnificently - you can actually feel the cold sore trying to draw away from you dabbing it! You MUST throw away the remainder of the liquid in the lid and rinse out the lid. Then an hour later repeat as above ...........

CremeFresh Sun 17-Dec-17 19:46:12

Doesn't that sting like hell ?

UrsulaPandress Sun 17-Dec-17 20:02:18

Same as vinegar and cheap aftershave. Dry the bastards out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now