Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Reasonable but cheap smartphone?

(22 Posts)
TheTurnOfTheScrew Sun 17-Dec-17 09:52:06

<I can't seem to find where the Products tailboard is>

we've agreed that DC1 can have a smartphone for her next birthday. I know the MN orthodoxy is to pass on one's old handset, but H and I are both pretty happy with ours and aren't considering upgrading.

I want to get something that works OK, but firstly won't have my gnashing my teeth if it gets broken (although she knows getting an ugly-ass robust case is mandatory), and secondly won't be too attractive to the light-fingered. Can anyone recommend what they're using?

afromom Sun 17-Dec-17 09:54:50

DSD (11) had a moto G4 play last christmas. It seems to do everything she needs it to and was only £89.
You can't get many cases for it, but we've discovered that the Samsung ones fit it too.

BiglyBadgers Sun 17-Dec-17 09:55:27

What price range are you looking at? I have a Moto G which is generally considered a budget smartphone, but is really very good. The camera is mediocre and I keep running out of space, but on the whole it does a good job for the price.

BroomstickOfLove Sun 17-Dec-17 09:57:55

I have a Wileyfox swift and I really like it. They do a cheaper model at around £90, and that's what I'll probably get DAD.

BroomstickOfLove Sun 17-Dec-17 09:58:12

DD, not dad.

Chapterandverse Sun 17-Dec-17 10:01:55

I recently bought a family member a huawai phone.

Payg £10 a month and the handset cost £69.

TheTurnOfTheScrew Sun 17-Dec-17 10:06:12

excellent, thank you.
I've not decided whether to go SIM-only, or contract. I was thinking maybe £150 if buying outright?? Obviously very happy to pay less!

velvetroses Sun 17-Dec-17 10:11:05

Recently bought the samsung j3 from carphone warehouse. It was £79.99 with £10.00 top up. Seems to do the job and didn't break the bank.

NoStraightEdges Sun 17-Dec-17 10:11:09

My ds has Alcatel phones-cheap as chips, proper smartphone, you can buy them in Sainsbury's (nectar points?)

BarbaraofSevillle Sun 17-Dec-17 10:14:44

I paid £150 for a Huawei P8 lite a couple of months ago and am very pleased with it.

It seemed the best on the price/spec consideration as I didn't want to spend more than £200.

But check if your ds has any preferences as image is very important to some. He might be more interested in a certain brand than the best performing phone for the money.

BarbaraofSevillle Sun 17-Dec-17 10:16:15

DS = DD, apologies.

SpecialAgentDaleCooper Sun 17-Dec-17 10:18:44

I was also going to say Huawei P8 Lite - my teenagers have them and say they're great, wouldn't have anything else.

I think they're around £130 at the moment at Currys - that's for the 2017 version which has fingerprint recognition to unlock it.

TheBitterBoy Sun 17-Dec-17 10:21:19

Go somewhere like CEX or Game and get a decent secondhand one. Haven't bought myself a brand new phone in years, always from CEX, they are thoroughly tested and come with decent guarantees and resale policies. Would recommend Huawei phones, DH is really pleased with his.

INeedNewShoes Sun 17-Dec-17 10:22:31

Whatever phone you buy don't make the mistake I did! I've got a Moto E 2nd gen. Brilliant budget phone but after a few months the internal memory was full up, mostly with unavoidable data attached to the Google apps that you can't uninstall from the phone. A lot of the apps also can't be stored on a separate SD card.

On a weekly basis I have to go through my phone deleting any cached data just to keep it in working order. It's really tedious, means I can't store any photos on the phone itself and I can't download apps of my choice.

So, in a nutshell, ensure that whatever you buy has a big internal storage.

Chapterandverse Sun 17-Dec-17 10:24:23

I went to carphone warehouse and explained what I wanted for the person I was buying for.

They recommended the Huawei. I only gave it to her yesterday so I will look forward to an update later this week!

MyYoniFromHull Sun 17-Dec-17 10:24:35

I've recently bought a Moto g5 for my DC, 129 and decent spec for the money, it's a bit big and clunky though. She really wanted an iPhone but too £££ for a decent one imho.

Eightbelles Sun 17-Dec-17 10:40:50

Get a Sony XA1 I think it is. Cheap phone but really good quality.

I dont find Samsungs to be good quality anymore to be honest. Sony is better.

NoWayInn Sun 17-Dec-17 10:48:58

MotoG5. I have one, it gets consistently good reviews and I love it.
Used with a giffgaff PAYG SIM.

DailyMaileatmyshit Sun 17-Dec-17 10:50:27

Wileyfox swift 2 plus. It's great.

CigarsofthePharoahs Sun 17-Dec-17 11:13:08

I bought DH a Wileyfox Swift+ this year on an Amazon deal and he thinks it's really good. Wileyfox also do a good selection of protective cases too.

JustBeingJobless Sun 17-Dec-17 11:18:16

Ds has got the Alcatel Pixi. Think I paid something like £30 from the EE Store. It does the job!

simpson Sun 17-Dec-17 11:27:09

DS (12) has got an Alcatel pixie 4 & quite a few of his mates do too. Cheap as chips grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now