Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you rather be, size 12-14 and happy or 8-10 and miserable

(144 Posts)
LardLizard Sun 17-Dec-17 01:34:57

Before any says clothes sizes is just a random numbe r you could say your ideal weight or a stone over ? If you prefer

LardLizard Sun 17-Dec-17 01:35:43

And by happy it mean so you can eat and drink whatever you like and you enjoy your food

tampinfuminragin Sun 17-Dec-17 01:37:28

A stone over.

tampinfuminragin Sun 17-Dec-17 01:37:40

I love food 🥘

Greebz Sun 17-Dec-17 01:37:48

The only reason I would want to be size 8 - 10 is that it would make me happy... So if it didn't make me happy, there'd not really be any point to it...

hungryradish Sun 17-Dec-17 01:39:13

You can eat/drunk what you like, enjoy your food and be an 8/10. I'll take that one! Lol

Crispbutty Sun 17-Dec-17 01:39:36

I’m a 14-16, very happy . I love food too much to be skinny!

LardLizard Sun 17-Dec-17 01:40:03

I’d rather be a stone over, still look good anyway !! Lol

namechangedtoday15 Sun 17-Dec-17 01:42:17

I think you're setting yourself up for a backlash. There are thousands/ millions of size 8-10 that are happy and equally lots of size 12-14 who are not happy at that size. What makes you think 8 = misery and size 12-14 = happiness?

manicinsomniac Sun 17-Dec-17 02:37:16

I'd rather be thin and miserable than fat and happy.

I hate what that says about me, my values and my mental health.

For context, I do have anorexia.

Koala2018 Sun 17-Dec-17 02:38:58

I'd rather be an 8-10 and not eat the tasty food as much as I'd like. But when you eat clean, you kind of get use to it after a while. I'm a chocoholic but if I go cold-turkey for more then a month, I stop craving it completely!

HuskyMcClusky Sun 17-Dec-17 02:46:16

Struggling to answer this as the premises are all flawed. confused

I am a size 12 and not overweight.

And I wouldn’t be happy with my weight if I was a stone overweight.

I guess I don’t see the correlation between ‘allowing’ yourself to be overweight and being happy.

iboughtsnowboots Sun 17-Dec-17 03:03:30

I am not comfortable with being at the top end of my BMI, I'm not tall 5 4, and don't carry extra weight well. I like eating and drinking and now in my 40's I do need to balance things more than I used to have to. But I am not watching every thing I eat all the time just being a bit more thoughtful. It's not an all one extreme or the other for me.

MrsRamiMalek Sun 17-Dec-17 03:20:04

I couldn't be happy at 12-14. I'm happy an 8-10, happiest at an 8. I still eat tasty food. If I eat too much junk I feel bad physically as well as mentally. My depression just gets significantly worse when I over eat/only eat crappy food, so I try hard not to. In fact, my depression has made me a bit obsessed with health in general.

Slim people also "love" their food btw. Who doesn't love food??? I can't stand it when people say that, as if the rest of us don't enjoy food confused I absolutely love to eat, it's my favourite thing! (Apart from those with eating disorders, maybe....although in my youth I used to be part of an Ednos group and even the anorexics there found this saying strange and said they also loved food - that was part of the torture when it comes to restricting. They found it difficult to say out loud to non ed people however. This doesn't count for everyone of course, just my experience.)

If I could magically be happy at 12-14 then sure. It would be better than taking drugs with awful side effects. It would never happen in real life though.

Fruitboxjury Sun 17-Dec-17 03:27:55

This doesn’t make sense. There’s barely any difference in the amount you should be eating to maintain a healthy weight if you are a 8-10 compared to 12-14.

For those who say they like food too much to be slimmer do you mean you like it to the degree that you eat a bit more than you should regularly? If that’s the case you will quickly find weight creeping on and pushing you well beyond 12-14.

Most important thing is to find a healthy weight and maintain it, it does take commitment to drop a dress size but it’s possible for most. I’m much happier at an 8-10 than a 12–14.

Cavender Sun 17-Dec-17 03:29:55

My happiness is not dependent on my size.

I used to work with two women who genuinely couldn’t understand how anyone bigger than a size 10 could ever be happy.

They are both deeply shallow in every way.

HipNewName Sun 17-Dec-17 03:38:04

by happy it mean so you can eat and drink whatever you like and you enjoy your food

If I eat and drink whatever I like and just enjoy the food, my weight is completely out of control. It's not a size 12-14, it's a size 20 and not able to shop for clothes in a regular store.

I'm careful about what I eat, and a size 10-12.

How happy I am is not closely related to what I weigh. Physically, I feel much better with a simple diet and being at a healthier weight. But my relationship, my career, my friendships all have a bigger impact on my happiness than my size. I suspect the same is true for most people. After all, if the only thing you have to be happy about is what you are putting in your mouth at the moment, something is wrong with the rest of your life.

DramaAlpaca Sun 17-Dec-17 03:38:40

I am very tall & a strong build. I couldn't be a size 8 ever, & being a size 10 would mean literally starving myself & I would look ill & be utterly miserable.

I look great & healthy at a size 14, & I am not overweight at that size.

MistressDeeCee Sun 17-Dec-17 03:52:45

I've been a size 14 for years and I'm happy. I like my shape and still look and dress well. Size 8-10 I look gaunt. & now I'm older I'm not about to "lose the weight lose the face" thanks. I dance, I keep reasonably fit. I can't eat what I like - sometimes waistbands are tight so then I cut carbs way down for a bit. But I'm happy with both my shape and size

BrizzleDrizzle Sun 17-Dec-17 03:54:18

I just want to be happy.

OtterInDisgrace Sun 17-Dec-17 04:00:49

The premise is flawed and stacked.

It’s not either or. People don’t work like that.

OtterInDisgrace Sun 17-Dec-17 04:02:03

I would rather be a random size and happy. But that doesn’t fit with your premise.

Doubletrouble42 Sun 17-Dec-17 04:32:21

I've been both. Currently a 12-14 and very happy. Have just ordered a couple of size 14 outfits to wear over xmas in preparation for the inevitable weight gain. My OH is a fabulous cook and I love to eat!

Doubletrouble42 Sun 17-Dec-17 04:34:00

btw I am a small build and only 5'3 so probably "ought" to be slimmer, but lifes too short. Whatever makes you happy!

metalkprettyoneday Sun 17-Dec-17 04:37:37

I'm happy with being a size 8 and eating tasty food. I would be miserable trying to eat enough to go up to the bigger sizes.But if I could do it magically and get bigger without having to eat deep fried food or whatever I would choose that . No one wants to be miserable .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now