Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you be comfortable with this school trip?

(348 Posts)
AngelOfMusic Sun 17-Dec-17 00:19:05

4 YO DS has an upcoming school trip in January, I have paid but I'm having second thoughts. They are going to be walking to a train station (just under a mile away from the school) getting the train to the destination, watching the show and then getting the train back in rush hour as well as walking back to the school. They have said that we will collecting the children from the school at 6pm in the evening so on top of that the return journey will be when it's dark.

They have stated that there will be 1 teacher to 3-4 pupils and the train will stop at the stations for longer than usual to ensure a safe exit.

I'm hoping I'm being a bit precious but I have a sinking feeling in my gut about it.

What do you think? Stop over worrying or am I right to keep him off that day?

OliviaBonas Sun 17-Dec-17 00:23:03

You could always meet them at the station and then collect him from the station afterwards? The school will have done thorough risk assessments and they have a higher than normal adult/child ratio. You could ask to see the risk assessment as well if that would help to set your mind at ease.

BringOnTheScience Sun 17-Dec-17 00:24:17

Chill.

It sounds fine. The ratio is waaaaay better than a normal trip and is what many parents manage solo. Arranging the longer stops shows that they've really planned in detail.

Yes, it's a long day ... but you've done family days out that go beyond 3pm surely?!?

AngelOfMusic Sun 17-Dec-17 00:24:32

Unfortunately not Olivia, Other parents have asked if they could do this and they said no because of health and safety they need all pupils to be collected from the school.

TheFSMisreal Sun 17-Dec-17 00:25:16

I personally think that's too young especially with the heightened terror threat.

RestingGrinchFace Sun 17-Dec-17 00:26:49

I wouldn't send a four year old on a trip like that. My 3 year old is usually very good about walking along busy roads and taking trains but it would just be too easy for something to go wrong-another child pushes him into the road, he slips and falls into the gap potentially hurting himself, somecreep sbatches him while staff are diverted by a different child. Four just seems a bit too young. I am a bit of a worry wort though.

ragged Sun 17-Dec-17 00:27:33

Long day for a little one. That would be my one and only concern.

3boys3dogshelp Sun 17-Dec-17 00:31:01

I wouldn’t be worried about this, and my 4 yo would think it was a huge adventure, but I suppose my ratio is 1:3 all the time!

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Sun 17-Dec-17 00:31:26

My 4 yr old went on a trip a few weeks ago that involved a wall and a train ride then more walking. (Not as much walking as you describe) I wendy really well. The kids were wonderfully well behaved and it was all lovely.
Can you not go on the trip as a helper?

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Sun 17-Dec-17 00:32:10

Involved a walk not a wall ffs.

Codlet Sun 17-Dec-17 00:32:55

Personally I’d be ok with this.

GrooovyLass Sun 17-Dec-17 00:37:00

Sounds awesome and that ratio is brilliant. Please don't cancel!

SparkleFizz Sun 17-Dec-17 00:39:17

I would be concerned about the length of the day - normally we’re starting my 4 yr olds bedtime routine around 6pm.
Otherwise I’d not be too worried, 1:3-4 is a good adult:child ratio.

fizzicles Sun 17-Dec-17 00:39:46

It sounds great. The school will have done a risk assessment, and may well have done this exact trip before. Don’t keep him off.

Janetjanetjanet Sun 17-Dec-17 00:40:47

A mile is a lot for a group of 4 year olds. They'll have to set off at 6am!

Sounds a bit much IMHO.

WyfOfBathe Sun 17-Dec-17 00:49:25

DD did a similar trip in reception, although not at rush hour. She loved it

1:3-4 is a very good ratio, and if the train is stopping for longer then presumably they've spoken to the train company about the risks.

Personally, I don't think you would be right to keep him off that day.

MsGameandWatching Sun 17-Dec-17 00:50:36

My four year old would only go on that trip if I was going too.

endthefarts Sun 17-Dec-17 00:51:22

That's a really long and tiring day for little ones - too long in my opinion.

blackheartsgirl Sun 17-Dec-17 00:53:42

Long day for a 4 year old and no I wouldn’t let mine go unless I was going too

Italiangreyhound Sun 17-Dec-17 01:02:50

I am paranoid Pete so feel free to ignore me, but I would personally not have wanted my child on this trip at age 4. It's the train that would bother me and the walking, especially in the dark.

This kind of trip would be great for older children but I think for four year olds it is too much.

However, if I wanted my child to go on the trip I would offer to go as a helper, and pay for myself if I had to. DS went on a trip aged 4 or 5 and I went as a helper. But it was by coach and the coach went from the school virtually to the door of the place we were visiting.

Emmastone123 Sun 17-Dec-17 01:04:24

That's too long and with the public transport in the dark etc I wouldn't feel comfortable.

AnnieAnoniMouse Sun 17-Dec-17 01:04:28

I think they need to reassess their H&S plan & get as many of them dropped off & picked up from the station as possible.

January, it’ll be cold, wet, possibly snowing & dark. It’s really not ideal to be walking a class load of kids there and back, especially at 5:30 when they’ll have already had a long day.

I don’t think I’d keep mine off, but I’d be pushing for dropping & collecting at the station.

travellinglighter Sun 17-Dec-17 01:15:37

FSMisreal

What the heck has the heightened terror threat got to do with anything?
My kids had a school trip seriously curtailed after some parents whined about the terror threat and I was furious. The chances of you being involved in a terror attack so minscule that it’s not even worth a second thought and parents whinging about the terror threat meant that a trip to a theme park was turned into a tour of a bread factory.

If you’re so worried about the terror threat, have you considered the fact that a terrorist could walk into a primary school. In light of this information are you going to stop your child from going to school?

MsJaneAusten Sun 17-Dec-17 01:22:19

I think they need to reassess their H&S plan & get as many of them dropped off & picked up from the station as possible.

I don’t think that will help with H&S. If they walk to and from the station together then each adult knows exactly which 3/4 children they’re responsible for. If some are collected early it makes it much more complicated.

OP, I’d be happy with this. You could ask yo see the risk assessment if you are worried, but it sounds to me like it’s been well thought through (eg the comment re trains waiting longer).

Notevilstepmother Sun 17-Dec-17 01:27:24

Getting kids picked up from the station would increase the risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now