Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is this tonsillitis or a gold-plated sore throat?

(27 Posts)
sewintoyou Sat 16-Dec-17 21:51:11

It hurts to swallow. I feel like there's a spiky mass in the middle of my throat and I keep running hot and cold.

I actually feel rotten. Please sympthasie. I can't even spell anymore sad

Shouldnotwouldnot Sat 16-Dec-17 21:53:17

I had such a bad sore throat last year I went to the doctors twice as I just thought it couldn’t be normal. I mean I lay awake crying it hurt so much! However it was just a sore throat....warning signs for something else include not being able to swallow (quinsy)

PurplePillowCase Sat 16-Dec-17 21:56:26

paracetamol & ibuprofen as pain relief.
antiseptic mouthwash to gargle.
hope you feel better soon.

sewintoyou Sat 16-Dec-17 21:57:18

I'm on a paracetemol and honey/lemon rotation. It's truly awful.

Haggisfish Sat 16-Dec-17 21:57:20

Sounds like tonsillitis to me. I needed antibiotics to get rid of mine.

Badhairday1001 Sat 16-Dec-17 21:57:41

You need to have a look at your throat and see if your tonsils are red, swollen and have yellow patches on them. Regardless of if its tonsillitis or not just drink lots of cold drinks, take paracetamol and it will probably get better on its own in a few days.

Passthecake30 Sat 16-Dec-17 21:58:19

I've had many sore throats and tonsilitus once, last year. I had a temp of 41c, and I couldn't swallow at all, not even water. It felt like razor blades in my throat. Also had infected swollen glands with white gunk.

pastabest Sat 16-Dec-17 21:58:35

Tyrozets.

They numb your throat. As far as I’m aware you can also take them with paracetamol etc.

Send someone to the nearest 24 hour pharmacy to get you some.

PoptartPoptart Sat 16-Dec-17 21:59:26

Try gargling with soluable paracetamol or aspirin. Gargle and hold it on your mouth for a couple of minutes. Just be careful not to swallow it if you’ve already taken doses of these medicines.

JaneEyre70 Sat 16-Dec-17 22:08:29

Gargle with warm salty water, it's great and try making some sage tea by soaking a few sage leaves in boiling water. Co codamol may help you sleep too.

crumbsinthecutlerydrawer Sat 16-Dec-17 22:13:00

I have this at the moment, feels like I’ve swallowed razor blades too. Just keep your fluids up, paracetamol and ibuprofen for pain and I second gargling with warm salty water, it soothes it almost instantly. I’m on tonsil watch too after getting it in the summer for the first time in 15 years.

PurplePillowCase Sat 16-Dec-17 22:15:05

<anecdote alert>
when I was a child and had scarlet fever, eating something very sour helped numb the throat.

FiveTwoFaster Sat 16-Dec-17 22:18:39

I think tonsillitis starts with one side hurting first (then it spreads to the other) - that’s how I tell the difference between a ‘normal’ sore throat and a throat I rush to the dr for at the first one-sided sign of trouble.

camelfinger Sat 16-Dec-17 22:19:34

I thought tonsillitis and a sore throat were the same thing. You get more sympathy if it’s deemed to be tonsillitis so I just say that’s what I’ve got if my throat hurts. In any case, it tends to go away by itself eventually.

Abouttoblow Sat 16-Dec-17 22:25:49

I suffered with tonsilitis every couple of months for years and finally had them removed when I was 30. Diflam is amazing. You can get a gargle or spray. The spray is good as you can aim it right in your tonsils and numb them.

sewintoyou Sat 16-Dec-17 22:26:20

Thank you, I will try these. Don't know if I can stomach the salt water though.

aurorie11 Sat 16-Dec-17 22:27:44

I’ve had the exact same thing but don’t have tonsils.
Bought difflam spray recommended by pharmacist. Worked miracles for me

aurorie11 Sat 16-Dec-17 22:28:54

Cross post with abouttoblow

sewintoyou Sat 16-Dec-17 22:30:16

I can't work out how to see my tonsils <eejit>

Haggisfish Sat 16-Dec-17 23:41:23

They are not the same thing. This is what I thought until I got it!! It was like swallowing cut glass-I couldn’t really swallow my own spit, had to punch a cushion just to swallow spit. Very high temp, totally lethargic. Just bloody awful.

Haggisfish Sat 16-Dec-17 23:41:54

Difflam made no difference to pain at all with tonsillitis, but does for sore throat.

Haggisfish Sat 16-Dec-17 23:42:35

Hold your tongue down with spoon or toothbrush, open wide snccsay aaaaAh. Your tonsils Re bits at side of your throat.

PurplePillowCase Sat 16-Dec-17 23:46:08

yep the tonsils are a bit like pink cushions left and right at the back of your mouth.

chocolatespiders Sat 16-Dec-17 23:48:31

Difflam throat rinse is fantastic

Itsallfuckery Sat 16-Dec-17 23:49:38

Open wide, tongue out, and I shine a torch down too! If your tonsils have white/yellow spots it’s tonsillitis. You possibly will be given antibiotics, I’ve suffered many times and it’s awful, so painful. Surprisingly they have never thought to remove mine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now