Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Infested Christmas tree

(19 Posts)
haircolourhelp Sat 16-Dec-17 21:49:01

Noticed today that our Christmas tree has some sort of insect infestation. Found a few crawling across the floor today.
On closer inspection the water container has lots of dead ones floating in it.
They do seem to be dying as most I've found on floor have been dead.
We're not talking hundreds - probably found a dozen on the floor today and they are pretty small.
Shit!
Are we going to have to get rid?
Not sure I want another real one now.
Can't stop bloody itching.
Anyone had this before?

Christmascardqueen Sat 16-Dec-17 21:56:14

Work colleague had one that had an earwig nest. When it warmed up the earwigs went all over! Folds of the wrapped presents and curtain hems a true nightmare.

Christmascardqueen Sat 16-Dec-17 21:57:17

I had one that had been sprayed by a wild animal. Again as it warmed up the true extent of the smell came to light.

haircolourhelp Sat 16-Dec-17 22:00:45

Oh god. These stories are grim.
Think I'll be buying an artificial one in the future.
We've had real ones for years now and never had this problem before.
Wish we had a darker carpet as we'd probably never have seen them.

AfunaMbatata Sat 16-Dec-17 22:00:56

When it warmed up the earwigs went all over! Folds of the wrapped presents and curtain hems a true nightmare

Oh dear god that’s truly horrific shock .

Burn it all.

SealSong Sat 16-Dec-17 22:02:52

It may have some insect life in it, but give it a day or two in a warm house and I bet they all die off. Lay a couple of sheets of newspaper under it to collect and corpses, and I bet it will be fine really quickly.

haircolourhelp Sat 16-Dec-17 22:08:26

That's what I'm hoping Seal.
Going to see if any more appear tomorrow.

TheQueenOfWands Sat 16-Dec-17 22:11:33

Christmas bugs??

Blimey.

Can you take it outside and give it a good shake?

MrRayaUmasTurban Sat 16-Dec-17 22:12:50

Burn it!!

Thedriftofstars Sat 16-Dec-17 22:17:33

We usually get a real one but got an artificial one that I saw on offer in Sainsbury's this year. This thread is making me itchy and reconsidering getting a real one for next year.
Although I did read a story in one of those awful Take a Break-esque mags a few years ago about someone who found an adder in their Christmas tree when they got it home! shock

123bananas Sat 16-Dec-17 22:19:36

I once had an elf infestation, bloody bells dropped everywhere. Had me hopping mad, I tell you.

This spray was just the trick.

steppemum Sat 16-Dec-17 22:23:39

grin bananas

ferriswheel Sat 16-Dec-17 22:24:48

I think there is a website where you can upload your favourite recipes and they make them into a book.

What about a box of courage? A box of menial tasks to do to get him out and about when he'd rather cry.

I'm so sorry. But well done for your pragmatic approach.

JasmineB89 Sat 16-Dec-17 22:33:41

What is wrong with having them? Insects are part of our planet, just as humans are. Dont kill them. Put them outside. Without insects our planet would be doomed. We need them for our eco system. They are essential.

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Sat 16-Dec-17 22:43:02

I'm fairly sure that my tree is crawling with nargles. They might have been looking for the mistletoe and become confused.

Tensecondrule Sat 16-Dec-17 22:45:32

Ferriswheel what are you talking about?

Dogsmom Sat 16-Dec-17 23:03:34

I think Ferris posted on the wrong thread, there's one running about a lady asking for advice on what to buy her husband as it'll be her last Christmas and I assume her reply was meant for there.

haircolourhelp Sat 16-Dec-17 23:03:50

Insects may well have a place on this planet but I'd rather that wasn't in my lounge.

LesDennishair Sat 16-Dec-17 23:16:52

We’ve always had real trees and never had any problems. But it does make me think twice...

Interesting information here about how to treat with natural products, though it does advise to do this before bringing into the house.
There’s a list of common Christmas tree insects too, just in case you wanted to identify your bugs. grin
www.saferbrand.com/articles/common-christmas-tree-bugs-how-to-get-rid-of-them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now