Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What has been the single most defining moment in your life?

(107 Posts)
Farontothemaddingcrowd Sat 16-Dec-17 21:38:09

I don't think I've had mine yet. I think a turning point was when my ex h gambled a months salary and then tried to hide it by borrowing from his mum. I sobbed and sobbed in my car and then left him.
Still feel in a state of flux though. What are the moments that defined/changed you?

IloveblinkingIdo Sat 16-Dec-17 21:42:10

Similar to you OP, it was when I left my abusive ex and fled to a refuge. Life has never been better. Advice to anyone considering they might be miserable in their relationship: LEAVE! It's hard, but it's worth it and don't waste your life.

bimbobaggins Sat 16-Dec-17 22:05:41

When my ex p passed away this year leaving me the sole parent of my ds. I have changed more this year than I have my whole life.

eyeoresancerre Sat 16-Dec-17 22:45:59

When my father cut me out of his will when I was 18. Cut me out the will and cut me out of his life. Learnt to never trust someone again.

TheQueenOfWands Sat 16-Dec-17 22:47:12

Leaving exH with nothing but DS. Showed me how strong I was.

AllBellyandBoobs Sat 16-Dec-17 22:53:03

The sudden death of my dad. I went from happy go lucky, never wanting children, out for fun and a good career to spiralling into depression for 2-3 years, getting help and now married with two children and a stay at home mum (although starting a new job in the new year)

MrRayaUmasTurban Sat 16-Dec-17 23:56:15

Leaving the house I bought with everything in it p, including my exh, on a freezing winter day with no defined future to speak of.

Julutheskunk Sun 17-Dec-17 00:00:07

My first job out of uni, it was what I studied my degree in, it's what I'd always dreamed of doing, then my boss got arrested and it made me wake up to the fact that I hated the industry and found the people who worked in it, (not all but definetly the important people) kind of immoral and I was heading down that path too, jacked it in. Retrained, moved countries, much happier with life now.

ShoesHaveSouls Sun 17-Dec-17 00:03:21

Going to University.

Without a doubt, this changed my life forever - I had been so awkward and shy - but went miles away to a new city, and just had a complete fresh start, came out of my shell, had an amazing experience. Met my DH too.

leccybill Sun 17-Dec-17 00:08:04

Left my teaching job.

Fuckit2017 Sun 17-Dec-17 00:13:54

When my abuser said he was sorry.
When I told depression to fuck of I'm not living with it anymore (it was like a light)
When my dad died.

Tatiannatomasina Sun 17-Dec-17 00:14:02

Joined the police. Emigrated. Married my 2nd DH.

Iflsido Sun 17-Dec-17 00:17:01

Signed up for uni

GrooovyLass Sun 17-Dec-17 00:28:04

When I had my DD. Or more accurately finding out is was pregnant. I was a party girl: sex and drugs and rock n roll. Had to grow up pretty sharpish! She's now 18 and still the centre of my world.

KeepServingTheDrinks Sun 17-Dec-17 00:46:49

giving birth.

Koala2018 Sun 17-Dec-17 00:48:28

Interesting question! When my ex-heroin addict, physically/mentally abusive mother acknowledged any wrong doings in my childhood. I was able to forgive her and now we're best friends.

chubbymummy Sun 17-Dec-17 02:07:45

When I had to break the news to a class full of 6 year olds that their friend had died, then slap on a smile, keep my shit together and keep teaching for the rest of the day.
My own son was also 6 at the time and I was already feeling fragile due to having just lost a baby. I found an inner strength that I never knew I had.

westcoastnortherneragain Sun 17-Dec-17 02:28:50

Emigrating

dontwanttogetshafted Sun 17-Dec-17 02:40:04

When my parents separated when I was in my teens it felt like my world had ended. It was a massive loss of security & like everything I thought I knew was wrong.

Becoming a mother.

MrsGB2225 Sun 17-Dec-17 02:42:04

Calling off my wedding
Finding out i was pregnant

hungryradish Sun 17-Dec-17 02:43:15

Watching a beloved family member take their last breaths. Watching someone you love pass away really does make you realise how short/precious life is. I know we all know that anyway, by it really hits home after that.

RemainOptimistic Sun 17-Dec-17 02:50:45

Having a psychotic episode due to a combo of drugs and my mother screaming at me yet again. I knew something was dreadfully, horribly wrong.

Strokethefurrywall Sun 17-Dec-17 03:31:01

Watching my younger brother die. The moment that I knew that life as I knew it, would never be the same again.

practicallyperfectinmyway Sun 17-Dec-17 03:51:24

When I left my DH for current partner - 20 years ago

Finding out my 5 to DS was sexually abused by my business partner - 4 years ago. He's inside (again) for further offences now.

Finding out the lies and deceit current partner has spun me in the past year - found out on Friday.

If I'd been told (as a teenager) all this would happen to me I'd have stayed single tbh.

practicallyperfectinmyway Sun 17-Dec-17 03:51:57

That's my 5 yo son.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now