Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I've found a solution to horribly cracked soles

(27 Posts)
movingtowardsthelight Sat 16-Dec-17 21:35:51

I have nasty thick dry skin on my feet. It’s so thick that if I stand on a tack, the first indication is the tapping noise not pain.

Sadly its hereditary. All the women in my family suffer the same hard skin.

I soak them daily, use pumice and abrasive scrubs. I use a razor blade scraper and get piles of shavings off them. Then I finish with lanolin nipple cream!
All these keep them in a semi acceptable condition.

However, i have had deep splits in the skin that are sore and often bleed. A while ago I was supergluing something unrelated, I recalled wounds being glued in A&E and decided on the spur of the moment to glue the splits together (before I applied cream).

Today, for the first time in 10 years, I have no splits! The glue held and the new skin has grown through. I still have hard skin, but no splits and no discomfort.

I can’t believe something so simple has helped my sore unsightly soles.

Is this something podiatrists would use? Or could this be a first?

tangledyarn Sat 16-Dec-17 21:41:54

I get horrible deep cracks at the side of my thumbs that really hurt. A spot of superglue really sorts them out. I think glue is used in lots of medical contexts so is fine.

W0rriedMum Sat 16-Dec-17 21:43:04

Do you still use a pumice stone and scalpel? Any issues with the glue being rubbed off?
I'm fascinated by this suggestion..

Sillysausage123 Sat 16-Dec-17 21:43:49

What kind of glue did you use.?
I'm another sufferer of sore feet

Anasnake Sat 16-Dec-17 21:44:50

I smother my hands and feet in Vaseline when he go to bed

movingtowardsthelight Sat 16-Dec-17 21:46:32

I just used ordinary superglue in a tiny bottle.
I thought the pumice would have pulled it open again. I used the pumice it in the direction of the split not against it and it held really well.
The splits were really deep mind, so the glue was well and truly in there.

VeganIan Sat 16-Dec-17 21:47:34

I currently lying on the sofa with my feet encased in gel lined socks. Basically you slather your feet in moisturiser then slap on these socks. It's a tad clammy but they are 10x better than cotton socks, a couple of hours twice a week makes a huge difference. Amazon sell them for about a fiver, or you can get a set with gel lined gloves for a tenner.

holidayparkquestion Sat 16-Dec-17 21:47:59

I haven't used glue but I've used a little gel heel and it's amazing.

May not be this exact one but this kind of thing. There's various on Amazon.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B072JJQXZC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it?keywords=heel+sock&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1513460808&sr=8-3

GertyTheGert Sun 17-Dec-17 19:09:31

I used that very famous heel crack cream called Flexitol - it works FABULOUSLY but smells badly of very old wee. Then I saw the bloomin main ingredient UREA. So this cream works splendidly but you smell badly of old wee. Obvsly I now just have cracked heels :-(

holidayparkquestion Sun 17-Dec-17 19:18:38

Flexitol is the best thing to use. in theory 2 x a day and under wraps at night (clingfiln/ gel sock/socks) if you can face it.

I was told to use cling film but I can't stand it.

hdoodle Sun 17-Dec-17 19:51:20

Use this once every two days - soak your feet briefly in warm water and then file away.

www.amazon.co.uk/NYK1-MEGAFILE-Professional-Pedicure-Calloused/dp/B00MRXFJ40?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Do not be suprised that it looks like it belongs in your kitchen drawer. More importantly, DO NOT get too excited and go overboard as you can easily shave off way too much and have tender heels. Be judicious. I have had cracked heels in the past, have used flexitol, tried pumice, gadgets that looked like mini industrial tool, and spend half my time in a very arid climate. Now I just use this every week or so and have been very happy.

I have heard that razoring is counterproductive - anyone else hear the same?

Kursk Sun 17-Dec-17 19:55:29

Superglue was invented for sticking skin together for battlefield wound closure in Vietnam

6demandingchildren Sun 17-Dec-17 20:08:15

I suffer from palmoplanter Psoriasis on the soles of my feet and flexitol works as do steroids, currently I have 5 cracks in my feet and I can't weight bear at all.

holidayparkquestion Sun 17-Dec-17 21:40:40

hdoodle - i stopped uaing a foot greater when I think it was just encouraging my skin to regrow faster! I've read pros and cons of razors/graters/files as they do remove skin but I think encourage regrowth.

I've got an odd condition though not just dry cracked feet.

LoniceraJaponica Sun 17-Dec-17 21:44:51

Howell Evans Syndrome?

OnTheRise Sun 17-Dec-17 22:05:18

I used to have nightmarish thick dead skin on my heels, which I pumiced and shaved and did everything. It never seemed to get any better. Then my GP gave me a moisturiser which is like Vaseline. I stopped the shaving and pumicing, and I put the cream on twice a day then put any old socks on, and my heels are smooth and lovely now.

CupanTaeAnois Sun 17-Dec-17 22:08:31

Have deep cracks nothing is touching at the moment. Think it's actually psoriasis. Might try the glue before I go to gp.

Dowser Sun 17-Dec-17 22:33:13

Looks painful 6 demanding
I thought it was a fungal infection.

theconstantinoplegardener Sun 17-Dec-17 23:24:35

I'm sure superglue will help heal cracked skin, but I don't think it's very safe to use it regularly. It is similar but not the same as the glues used in health care settings. The latter are designed to be safe in contact with the skin. Superglue is not and may contain formaldehyde and other toxic compounds.

hdoodle Mon 18-Dec-17 01:25:11

holidayparkquestion - you probably have a point about the graters and such. At this point, I’m too scared to stop for fear that the skin will come back with a vengeance!

ParadiseLaundry Mon 18-Dec-17 02:32:31

So pleased I found this thread! I have just started getting this in the last year and it's really painful and makes me feel like I'm not looking after myself properly.

Is it linked to any health conditions, does anyone know? It started quite out of the blue for me.

Pumicing and moisturising aren't doing much for me at the moment so going to try the foot file listed (Mumsnet costs me a fortune hmm) although I take the point about it making the skin grow back faster, so will use it sparingly at first! Will definitely try the superglue too first thing tomorrow!

IamEarthymama Mon 18-Dec-17 03:25:30

I Have psoriasis on the tops of my feet and up along my ankles.
I often wake with bloody skin as I scratch in my sleep
I have recently tried organic cider vinegar applied lightly with a sponge and it has really helped

Sunnysidegold Mon 18-Dec-17 05:40:29

I went for one of those "baby feet" mask things a while back. Had to wait until my feet were split free to use it. Was mega sceptical. Did it, thought it was crap then when I had a bath about a week later, the skin just loosened when I was drying off.it was fantastic. Very satisfying. Since then I've kept up with a bit of a moisturizing routine but heels still smooth and crack free for now.

holidayparkquestion Mon 18-Dec-17 06:30:25

hdoodle if it works keep at it!!

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 18-Dec-17 17:57:00

Very interesting. I have a deep slit in the tip of my thumbs a result of over washing and alcohol rub as the dc have had a vomiting bug which I did not want to catch. It's now very sore and every time I use it it seems to split. What would I do, just sort of glue it together then use a plaster?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now