Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you use 'Ms' as your title? Why/why not?

(305 Posts)
JemIsMyNameNooneElseIsTheSame Sat 16-Dec-17 20:46:40

'Miss' just feels a bit wrong now I'm heading towards 40 for some reason, but 'Ms' as a title seems to be rarely used in women I know/meet. I have a child, am single and never married.

Marcine Sat 16-Dec-17 20:48:03

Always been a Ms since 16, Miss feels like a child.

ArbitraryName Sat 16-Dec-17 20:48:29

I don’t use Ms. I use Dr.

If the only options are Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms I choose Mr.

CharisMama Sat 16-Dec-17 20:49:45

I do.
Im not married and Im too old for Miss.

Ms is the one that makes sense.

I hate the selfishness of people who say things like ''i hate Ms".
Dont they get it?! Not everybody is single and 18 or married or happy to wear marital status on their sleve

splendide Sat 16-Dec-17 20:49:46

I use Ms (I’m married)

StillSeekingResponsibleAdult Sat 16-Dec-17 20:50:59

I'm Ms and would remain Ms Mysurname if I ever married. My partner has been Mr Hisname all his adult life and no-one expects him to change, so I don't see why I should be expected to either. Our children are both Myname.

mintbiscuit Sat 16-Dec-17 20:51:05

I'm married but have kept my surname so use Ms. Miss felt a bit wrong when I got married but Mrs also felt wrong as it's my name, not my husband's.

Now I just use Ms as I don't think it's relevant for people to know if I'm married or not.

AdalindSchade Sat 16-Dec-17 20:51:19

Yes, have done since 15. Almost every woman I know does on a day to day basis even if they are happy to be called mrs whatever. Most of my friends are firmly Ms even if married.
I'm Ms because I don't believe that women should be identified as married or unmarried by their title when men are not. Simple.

Millie2013 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:51:26

Dr or Miss here, not sure why I choose Miss over Ms though <ponders>

genever Sat 16-Dec-17 20:51:31

I did from the age of 13 ish until I got my PhD. Now I use Dr and Ms each about half of the time, depending on context

Dancinggoat Sat 16-Dec-17 20:51:45

I used Mrs from mid twenties onwards. I decided that men are Mr regardless of marital status so Mrs applies the same for women in my mind. No organisation has queried it.

FaFoutis Sat 16-Dec-17 20:53:01

Dr, and if that isn't available it's Ms. I'm married.

Peanutbuttercat Sat 16-Dec-17 20:53:48

I was Miss, then Mrs, then Ms and now Dr. Use either Ms or Dr depending on context. Like the factor it is gender neutral.

genuineidiot Sat 16-Dec-17 20:54:12

I tend to, yes.

Crumbs1 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:54:26

Mrs Husbands birth surname since marriage. It feels right.

AstraiaLiberty Sat 16-Dec-17 20:55:00

I've been Ms since age 16 too - for the reason that if a man's title doesn't reveal his marital status, neither should mine.

RaindropsAndSparkles Sat 16-Dec-17 20:56:29

Before I got married at 31 I was Miss (because I wasn't married). When I got married I became Mrs because I'd got married. That was 26.5 years ago.

howthelightgetsin Sat 16-Dec-17 20:57:09

Sometimes I use Miss because it makes me feel young blush but Ms most of the time and I feel like it’s the correct one to use. I’m a grown adult, so I’m a Ms. Not married but if I did I’d keep my name so Mrs Myname would be weird, so I’ll always be Ms. Apart from when I’m pretending to be younger than I am.

LimePickleEnthusiast Sat 16-Dec-17 20:57:55

I got a new job just over a year ago and have used 'Ms' as my title there. I think I used to see Ms as a title for divorced women but I've been happily married for over 20 years.

I really regret changing my name when I got married; I'd never change my name if I was getting married now. I'd like to change my name back but have got used to my married name and don't want to have to keep explaining why I've changed my name back.

Calling myself Ms feels a bit like taking something back for myself. It somehow separates my personal life and work which I like; it shouldn't be of interest to anyone at work as to whether I'm married.

MrsPear Sat 16-Dec-17 20:58:32

Would love to be ms non married name but many moons ago when h was applying for settlement based upon marriage we were told it would be a red flag. Ie the marriage was not real if I didn’t change name. I wish i wasn’t such a push over when younger.

CoffeeCupCake Sat 16-Dec-17 20:58:52

Yes, I use Ms if given a choice. Often I don’t get asked, and if details are taken face to face and I’m there with my partner and/or child I am automatically put down as a Mrs. I’m not married.

I get called Mrs <partner’s surname> a lot as well. If it’s something like taking a delivery and I’m never going to see the person again, I just say ‘yes’ as it’s less complicated.

It’s annoying but not something I choose to make a big deal about.

allegretto Sat 16-Dec-17 20:59:08

I went to Ms on marriage as I didn't change my name and Mrs sounded weird! I am now Dr. Problem solved!

voddiekeepsmesane Sat 16-Dec-17 20:59:15

Miss until married at 23, divorced at 29 and used Ms for the past 16 years...whatever you feel comfortable with really

NataliaOsipova Sat 16-Dec-17 20:59:28

I'm Mrs DHsurname too. It's "my" name now, but it's "my" name because of marrying him, so Mrs feels more natural than Ms. If that makes any sort of sense....!

PaintingByNumbers Sat 16-Dec-17 20:59:31

Always used Ms

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now