Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What makes a good landlord?

(25 Posts)
Chimera246 Sat 16-Dec-17 19:37:14

DH and I may become landlords in the near future

We never set out to be, but we need to move and our house may not sell in time. We have a fair amount of cash in hand and one thing we are exploring is letting our current house to buy the next.

If we do go down this route, I want to be a good landlord.

What makes one, in your opinion?

KindergartenKop Sat 16-Dec-17 19:43:34

Someone who fixes stuff quickly and keeps the property in good repair. It needs something doing between every tenant eg waiting a room, new carpet etc.

KindergartenKop Sat 16-Dec-17 19:43:57

Painting, not waiting.

PaperdollCartoon Sat 16-Dec-17 19:45:52

Someone who thinks the house should be nice enough for them to live in themselves, and gets things repaired promptly. Our landlady is great, she always sends someone as soon as there’s a problem. In turn we look after the house and love it like our own.

SyrilSneer Sat 16-Dec-17 19:47:02

Leave a couple of days at least between tenants so if there are issues or it’s not been cleaned they can be sorted before new tenant moves in.
Sensible furniture/flooring etc. Not putting in delicate floors then looking horrified when your tenant buys a bookcase <niche recommendation 😂>

Smeaton Sat 16-Dec-17 19:50:01

Leave tenants alone. Its your house yes, but its their home. Don't ever just turn up. Other than that, timely repairs is the most important. I would strongly suggest a letting agent tho. They charge a percentage of the rent but it should take a lot of hassle away. Also rent insurance, get that in case they don't pay.

ShutUpBaz Sat 16-Dec-17 19:51:15

Get repairs done asap after being informed by tenants.

Don't demand access at unreasonable times/without reasonable notice.

Respect your tenants right to quiet enjoyment.

We have lived in our rented home for 9 years and look after it like its our own. Our landlord is great and we consider ourselves very lucky.

Fellia Sat 16-Dec-17 19:51:40

Don’t have inspections every 2 minutes (or 2 months) twice a year is fine.

Don’t leave your own stuff in the property unless advertised as furnished, and still even then don’t leave old tubs of paint/ broken toys/ dirty horrible stuff that the tenant then has to throw away.

Give the tenant your direct number/ email.

Make sure the boiler is working properly and all up to date.

When you advertise the property make sure you know the parking situation.

Don’t let yourself in to the property.

Sorry OP no anger directed at you 😂 you can probably guess I’ve had some awful landlords in the past!

gingerbreadmam Sat 16-Dec-17 19:52:24

Responding promptly and repairing things so they are up to scratch.

Our LL is fab. We have been here getting on for three years and in that time we have had a new front door a new boiler a new oven and she has never put our rent up once.

In all fairness all those things were dated and have broken so cheaper to replace than repair but with the majority of things they were done very quickly.

We do have damp and the paint work is horrendous flaking everywhere downstairs but I guess you can't have everything.

cannotmakemymindup Sat 16-Dec-17 20:00:25

Yes to all posters above saying fixing promptly any problems.
Being clear if you will allow your tenants to decorate, add pictures to walls, add safety catches etc,. or not. Even change suppliers on electricity, gas.
Actually just being clear is great.
We've been in our property for six years and have absolutely fantastic landlords who are clear about it all. Does help we have their numbers and live very close by so easy to query things.

Chimera246 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:03:11

Thanks all, this is really interesting and I'm taking it all on board.

Idontmeanto Sat 16-Dec-17 20:07:35

Fix stuff promptly. Give a decent amount of notice before inspecting, don’t leave a spare key with one of the neighbours, (creepy to just move in and be told so-and-so has a spare, even if they go on to be a close friend.) Be really up front and honest about your plans. If you plan on letting for several years offer a long tenancy, if you think you might sell after 12 months be honest about that.

YCAWS Sat 16-Dec-17 20:08:45

We've rented for 10 years and our current LL is amazing! When he did a property inspection (once in the 3 years we've been here!) he said he loved what we'd done to the place. Really made me smile

tectonicplates Sat 16-Dec-17 20:11:02

Be contactable and actually reply to emails and phone calls.

If your tenants report something as broken, believe them. Don't say "It's brand new so it can't possibly be broken".

Accept general wear and tear. Your tenants are not obliged to keep a show home, nor are they obliged to have the same standards of cleaning as you.

Budget for the house being empty for a couple of months, or the tenants getting a bit behind on the rent (even if they have excellent references). Landlords get into trouble when they wrongly assume the property is going to be tenanted at all times.

Don't get into overly personal conversations with your tenants. We had a landlady who poured her heart out to us about things and it made her seem weak at business.

And FGS, if you do find yourselves in financial trouble, that is not your tenants' problem. We're not interested in your sob stories. As long as we pay the rent, then we are not obliged to care that you're struggling to keep you with your mortgage, nor do we feel a sense of responsibility for landlords being bad at budgeting. A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part.

MomToWedThorFriday Sat 16-Dec-17 20:12:25

We have good landlords/agents. If we report a problem it’s fixed in very good time. They leave us to ‘quietly enjoy’ the property. They haven’t put the rent up ‘just because,’ and they don’t charge us to renew tenancies etc. No complaints at all. I don’t want anything more to be honest!

I like to think we’re good tenants too. Rent paid on or before the contracted date, we keep the house & garden in good repair, we respond to their enquiries as soon as possible and we don’t annoy the neighbours.

heyday Sat 16-Dec-17 20:22:39

My landlords are fantastic thankfully. What do I want as a tenant? A landlord who cares for his property and not just solely as a money making machine, who sorts out repairs quickly and efficiently and above all treats me with respect and as a human being not just some one to be exploited. Hopefully you will become good landlords and you will have respectful, fair tenants.

tectonicplates Sat 16-Dec-17 20:25:43

Btw, as a very experienced renter, when I view flats it is usually very obvious which ones are by-to-let investment properties and which ones have actually been lived in by the landlords. Landlords' ex-homes tend to have more/better thought out storage space, built-in wardrobes and enough power sockets etc, as well as more practicality all round and better knowledge of parking spaces and public transport. By-to-let properties are far more likely to have the bear minimum, the cheapest, tiniest Ikea wardrobes, lone sockets so we end up using extension cables, and walls painted white with very little character. So you'll probably be at an advantage when looking for tenants, as wet can see straight away that it's actually possible to live there. Etc currently live in a place with very little storage space, yet our landlady has told us off for having too much stuff. hmm

purpleme12 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:52:38

Yes fix all repairs promptly. But also not some cheap no good job of it that won't last - that always seems to happen and you can tell. Also not just the small jobs either you need to repair the expensive stuff this is just as important. My landlord now is ok so far apart from the big problem (I know in order to fix it it'll be a big job and lots of money) they've just said it's condensation and normal - bullshit they know it's a big job.

Yes accept wear and tear.

Accept pets.

specialsubject Sat 16-Dec-17 21:14:27

Have everything working properly.
Clean it to military standards.
Get an inventory.
Be reasonable - of course they can put up pictures!
Leave copies ( not originals) of instruction manuals and a one page how to guide.
Don't have key meters.
Be 100% on legals and get proof you have done them all. Cock that up and you can be really taken by a player.
Insure it properly. Including rent guarantee, legal protection, malicious damage, home emergency.
Double check the agent has done stuff. Comes down to you.
Dissociate. Remember you may still get unlucky and get a kicking. If you get rent paid, place not trashed, problems reported ( fix them) and no drug den then that's expectations met. If they live in a pile of clothes and only wash up once a week - that's their business.
Be able to cope with voids. Do viewings when it is vacant because that is the only way you can guarantee the previous tenant has gone.
Give them an immaculate clean smart place. This will either encourage them to keep it the same or it will still get wrecked. Had both.
Plan ahead - epc regs, doubled agency fees, electrical standards.
Scotland? Forget it.

There is no such thing as an accidental landlord.

purpleme12 Sat 16-Dec-17 21:26:14

Yes I agree about instructions. That actually would have been so helpful and also it just seems so thoughtful which gives a good impression

TheHungryDonkey Sat 16-Dec-17 21:55:21

Know the law before you start. Everything from gas safety to S21.

SexandDrugsandaNiceCuppa Sat 16-Dec-17 22:02:46

Allow pets. Please.

wowfudge Sat 16-Dec-17 22:31:07

special beat me to it. Educate yourselves on the law and your obligations. Join a landlord's association. Don't believe everything agents tell you - an awful lot of them don't behave professionally and the buck stops with the landlord. Check what the agents are charging prospective tenants.

Fuckit2017 Sat 16-Dec-17 22:36:35

Make sure your approachable. My landlady is always shouting at me. It's really not nice.

Smeaton Sat 16-Dec-17 22:52:37

I don't know if anyone else has said it, can't see it.
If you can, accept Housing benefit. Some banks and insurers won't let you tho.
The other thing I'd say is to try and separate yourself from the property. Its hard. But its no longer your home, its just a building. The memories you have there won't be damaged if the tenant paints the wall black, so try to be unemotional about it, see it as just a building. Iyswim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now