Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

American or British

(23 Posts)
Newtothismumthing1 Sat 16-Dec-17 19:05:20

Am I only person who hates an American series? I know lots of people love binging on a box set or Netflix-ing but I hate it. I did try a couple: desperate housewives/ the one about the family that owned a vineyard
( what was that called), Empire- the problem is you spend 22episodes /hrs only for the original question never to be fully answered for you to be left with even more questions and every subsequent series having to get more convoluted and confusing.
Now give me British tv any day: only fools, birds of a feather, masterchef, gbbo, the soaps.
Am I in the minority?
British or American tv show....

HermionesRightHook Sat 16-Dec-17 19:15:13

I think there's excellent examples of both. What I like is when 's series really gets to grip with its form and length and has a story that needs to be told over that format. So for an American series I like a complicated set of plots with an ensemble cast that has plenty of time to tell the tale.

For a UK series, something that fits into the shorter format without trying to get you to deal with a million subplots and hundreds of characters.

Game of Thrones vs Gavin and Stacey is what I mean - very different shows that both use their format well.

rabbitsdontlayeggs Sat 16-Dec-17 19:17:30

Both! But thinking about it I tend to binge watch more American box sets. In the last two years (since being pregnant, on may leave then a SAHM) off the top of my head I've watched all of Bones, Elementary, Desperate Housewives, House, Big Bang Theory, The Blacklist, Blindspot .... ooh I'm sure there more too.

That's quite a lot of tv! confused thank you pregnancy insomnia, cluster feeding and a non sleeping child!

formerbabe Sat 16-Dec-17 19:35:49

Generally prefer British TV. The only American series I could watch over and over again were Friends and SATC!

BlazingPaddles Sat 16-Dec-17 19:37:22

American for me.

American TV is light years ahead of British. I mean there's a hell of a lot of shit out there but when American TV is good it's really good.

SeaToSki Sat 16-Dec-17 19:40:47

West Wing, Top Chef, Greys Anatomy

But

Call the Midwife, Darling Buds of May, that one from the 90s about the policeman in Yorkshire

PoptartPoptart Sat 16-Dec-17 20:13:10

American.
West Wing, ER, 24, Friends, Big Bang, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Good Wife, Suits...

redexpat Sat 16-Dec-17 20:20:19

Both. If I think about tv shows i have given up on - friends, lost, gilmore girls, theyre all american. But so are Buffy, modern family, homeland, west wing, greys anatomy, 13 reasons why. Ive never liked any of the british series that you name in the OP. I do like a british period drama, and panel shows for comedy.

BrizzleDrizzle Sat 16-Dec-17 20:22:37

I find the American accent incredibly irritating when on television (but not in person) this doesn't bother me with films but for box sets and documentaries it's British all the way. I find the quality is better with British programmes.

CountessofGrantham Sat 16-Dec-17 20:28:45

Generally British but if a show is good it doesn’t matter where it comes from. I’m more interested in genre than accent.

ArbitraryName Sat 16-Dec-17 20:32:05

American for me too.

In fact, I don’t think I ever choose to watch British tv.

Marmite27 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:35:30

I think the one with the family with the vineyard may be Brothers and Sisters? They started with a fruit farm but diversified wink

Newtothismumthing1 Sat 16-Dec-17 20:38:06

Brothers & Sisters that was it!!! Thanks wink

Was ok, again lost way with it after a series

IamEarthymama Sun 17-Dec-17 06:09:52

I can't agree about Brothers and Sisters, I really loved it, and often say to DW that I wonder what's happening in their lives.smile

I hadn't considered American v British, I enjoy both without noticing country of origin. I don't think it matters and in fact I love Scandi-noir ie The Killing, The Bridge, etc, lots of the series in Walter Presents on C4, and the Saturday evening European slot on BBC.

Currently we are watching Godless, Jane the Virgin, Designated Survivor from US and A Word and Blue Planet on BBC. We recently liked Wanted, (Australian), I know who you are, (Spanish),

I think British programmes like Happy Valley, Line of Duty, Last Tango in Halifax, Broadchurch are excellent as are most period dramas though I am not keen on the portrayals of the aristocracy. Then you have Buffy, Firefly, Living, Stranger Things, Mindhunter, from America
In fact, having given this notion some thought my conclusion is that it is the standard of the series that counts, not where it was made.

I still want to know about the lives of the characters in Brothers and Sisters though. wink

yasmin05 Sun 17-Dec-17 06:21:46

I sure prefer British. I agree that if not for hit tv series Friends, I would have never watched any American tv show.

MuseumOfCurry Sun 17-Dec-17 06:27:36

Yes, there are so many really terrible American series:

Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
True Detective
Six Feet Under
Sopranos
Fargo
Mindhunter
Curb your Enthusiasm

They're all shit.

SilverySurfer Sun 17-Dec-17 06:58:07

There's good and bad in both - my current favourite is Lucifer on Amazon Prime which is American with a Brit in the main role.

lizzieoak Sun 17-Dec-17 07:09:58

Museumofcurry, while I tend to prefer British, I’ll add to your list of great American telly with
Shameless

For documentaries “American Experience” is really good. Just watched the Ken Burns series on the Vietnam War and learned a lot.

dudsville Sun 17-Dec-17 07:28:21

It's not a competition so it's just about preference. I like both, and the scandi stuff, and currently enjoying I Know Who You Are, the Spanish crime drama.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 17-Dec-17 07:34:11

I loved Brothers and Sisters.

I'd say both in general, totally different to each other. But currently American edges it.

FellOutOfBed2wice Sun 17-Dec-17 08:03:35

There’s room for both. You can’t beat British humour- Peep Show, The Office, The Inbetweeners.... these are modern classics and any American version that’s been made doesn’t come close. We also do edgy and ground breaking stuff well... Queer as Folk, Cucumber and the Cucumber three show format was amazing. But American TV is great at drama and longer form story telling like Six Feet Under which was an absolute stone-cold classic and is unparalleled in its emotional depth and ambition.

Newtothismumthing1 Sun 17-Dec-17 08:18:06

I guess in my opinion British humour is generally more clever and it’s dramas more subtle...but for some (like my DH) they consider them too slow and they prefer something more fast paced and dramatic.
Drama wise I love Luther (Idris version), Line of Duty, Broadchurch, The Missing (British cast).

bluebells1 Sun 17-Dec-17 08:33:17

I am with you OP. Prefer British telly but some American ones are good upto a point. The blacklist, Brooklyn 9 9 , Elementary, Major Crimes etc. Reading that back, I think they do murder mystery quite well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now